C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insulating the cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:12 PM
dmrodco
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default insulating the cockpit

where did you guys get your reflect tex cockpit insulation. I cannot seem to locate it at home depot thanks for your input
Old 01-20-2007, 11:25 PM
mrrt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the Home Depot site, click on building supplies and then insulation. Reflextix 16inx24ft for $15.00
Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 AM
68 L71
Intermediate

I wonder why gm didn't install this as standard equipment?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmrodco
where did you guys get your reflect tex cockpit insulation. I cannot seem to locate it at home depot thanks for your input
I work at Lowe's, we have it in 2 foot and 4 foot widths...but the question is....do you have a heat problem in the cockpit? If so, that Reflectix will help very little....there are other things that need to be done...ask me how I know
Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

i used this on my vette, worked out great.
http://www.insulation4less.com/highr_FfmF.asp
Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ok...I'll bite

Originally Posted by kb2fzq
I work at Lowe's, we have it in 2 foot and 4 foot widths...but the question is....do you have a heat problem in the cockpit? If so, that Reflectix will help very little....there are other things that need to be done...ask me how I know
Why won't it help and what else needs to be done?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:09 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kb2fzq
I respectfully have to disagree. I put reflectix under my new carpet and the interior temp difference was like night and day. Not to mention, that I got the idea from this forum, after reading from dozens of other members over the years that used it.

If you use the whole roll, and don't scrimp on it, the Reflectix will cool your car's interior off quite well. What it does NOT do is help with noise. Road noise will be the same but you WILL be cooler.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 AM
randyredleg
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
I respectfully have to disagree. I put reflectix under my new carpet and the interior temp difference was like night and day. Not to mention, that I got the idea from this forum, after reading from dozens of other members over the years that used it.

If you use the whole roll, and don't scrimp on it, the Reflectix will cool your car's interior off quite well. What it does NOT do is help with noise. Road noise will be the same but you WILL be cooler.
I think he means there might be heat coming in through the vents.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Hadez
Drifting

you guys should seriously consider the alternative (better) than Refletix. I from the the suggestions of some of the forum members just redid my interior with this stuff..

http://www.insulation4less.com/highr_FfmF.asp

It is foil-foam-foil which is very similar to Reflectix foil-bubble-foil. For me all my reflectix bubbles have popped from 8+years since the interior was last restored. The reflextix is good, but does not hold up well against pressue areas such as where you put your feet, etc. The bubbles were still good where there was never any pressure applied, but where ever I put my feet all the bubbles had popped and there by making the reflectix totally useless.

this stuff has a foam center with tons of tiny air bubbles sealed that is a lot more sturdy being able to hold up to my big feet stomping on them constantly.....also it does lower the sound also slightly. Check out the website...even the R value on this other stuff is slightly higher. I know have no heat coming through my floor boards, tranny tunnel, etc.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM
dmrodco
Drifting

reflectix is butyl and foil I want it mostly for the reduction of resonance from the chambered exhaust does anyone have a write up for installation ? thanks for all your responses !
Old 01-27-2007, 07:23 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BB72
Why won't it help and what else needs to be done?
I didn't say it wouldn't work, it'll help a little, but most of the cockpit heat (from my experiences) is coming they the passenger vent and thru the heater core, even tho the heat is off...I had a VERY bad heat problem, I put a turn off valve on the input hose to the heater core and blocked the passenger vent with styrofoam and coax seal.....she runs nice and cool now in the cockpit.
I've included an article regarding the insulating the floor, I did not do that but used his suggestions as to what was generating the heat source and well, did what I indicated above with great success....also there is a picture included here showing where the fender/body seal dry and fall away causing the heat to enter the cockpit thru the passenger vent...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page14.htm

The yellow is where he says the area needs to be re-sealed....I found sealing the vent completely was easier and just as effective....
If you want to chat more about this, send me a PM

Last edited by kb2fzq; 01-27-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To insulating the cockpit

Quick Reply: insulating the cockpit