C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax X-pipe and Muffler in one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
dk-corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynomax X-pipe and Muffler in one?

Does any of you have experience with the new combined muffler and x-pipe from Dynomax, the Ultra Flo X performance?

http://www.dynomax.com/products/ufx.asp

It sounds very tempting to have both an x-pipe and a muffler in one component but do you think it will have the proper X-pipe function in reality?

I'm planning to build a new exhaust system with an x-pipe, two Dynomax Ultra Flo's straight-through mufflers and two Dynomax Super Turbos, all in 3".

Using one Ultra Flo X and two Super Turbos instead would really make my system much more simple but do you think it will work just as good? Please let me hear your opinion.

Best regards, DK.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i don't see any space for this in a C3 application
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
dk-corvette
Instructor

I was hoping to find room for it right after the crossmember that the exhaust pips pas through. Isn't it where you have placed your new H-pipe?

Maybe it would be necessary to move the parking brake cable a bit up, but that should be possible I think. I will go under the car and measure later today.
/DK.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:06 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

i have the 700r4 and the BTO crossmember and my exhaust is nice and high there since it does not go through the cross member......what is the dimensions of the unit ??? perhaps it will fit if it is not to tall......width and length is not a problem just height
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
dk-corvette
Instructor

Dynomax only states that the muffler is 20" long:

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/ecat.asp?page=183

I would say from looking at the photo that it is 4-5" high and 8-9" width.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by dk-corvette
Does any of you have experience with the new combined muffler and x-pipe from Dynomax, the Ultra Flo X performance?

http://www.dynomax.com/products/ufx.asp

It sounds very tempting to have both an x-pipe and a muffler in one component but do you think it will have the proper X-pipe function in reality?

I'm planning to build a new exhaust system with an x-pipe, two Dynomax Ultra Flo's straight-through mufflers and two Dynomax Super Turbos, all in 3".

Using one Ultra Flo X and two Super Turbos instead would really make my system much more simple but do you think it will work just as good? Please let me hear your opinion.

Best regards, DK.
I think it would work pretty well as an X-Pipe. Would be great for a dual exhaust truck!

Now I want a truck again...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

you really need to get that dimension in order to "mock" it up...it may hang down really low
Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM
dk-corvette
Instructor

Hi Bob,
This BTO crossmember sounds interesting.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=112

It would be nice not to have the new exhaust going through the crossmember. Do you have a photo of it build on your car? I guess I should be looking for the one for a 2004R to fit my TH400 trans.
/DK.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

my H pipe is just mounted aft of the crossmember

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bobs77vet; 02-21-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
dk-corvette
Instructor

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the photos. That crossmember looks like the way to go. It must also be much lighter than the original one.

I have just been down in the garage taking mesurements for the muffler, and unfortunatly you are right. I don't think I can find the room for it under there.

Will have to find another way for a high-flow / low noise system to get a comfortable crusing without stealing to many hp's from my new engine.

Thanks for the help and best regards,
DK.

Get notified of new replies

To Dynomax X-pipe and Muffler in one?

Quick Reply: Dynomax X-pipe and Muffler in one?