C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Know of any late C-3 trailer hitch designs that are really good, like a hidden receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:28 PM
jsimpson
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Know of any late C-3 trailer hitch designs that are really good, like a hidden receiver?

I need to use the Vette for pulling a horse trailer.

The Tundra is a great replacement for my old Park Avenue, and even useful for hauling hay, it's comfortable and luxurious and drives like a Lexus. For a half tonner, it can't be beat. But towing my VERY aerodynamic Brenderup horse trailer with a couple of horses aboard requires driving at 68 mph in order to keep it in OD with the convertor locked up. Towing my motorcycle trailer with much more wind resistance keeps it in third gear almost all the time. Cruise control makes it shift constantly when towing, so I need a good strong hitch for the Vette that won't stand out like a sore thumb!
http://coffeewithJesus.homestead.com/web1.html

Old 10-08-2001, 06:07 PM
Plastic Wheels
Instructor

Default Re: late C-3 trailer hitch

J: I have one on my '76. I believe I got it from hitches.com. Not sure the web site is exact but I'm sure it's hitches.??? I'll send some pictures if you are interested. I believe it's rated at 200lbs and 2000 lbs. I pull a 20'foot sailboat with mine. It's probably 1500lbs total. Don't know if this is big enough for you.

Plastic Wheels
Old 10-08-2001, 06:21 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Know of any late C-3 trailer hitch designs that are really good, like a hidden receiver?

I'm thinking that two 15'2 hh qtr. horses are going to weigh pretty close to 3000lbs but i'm not sure what kind of horses you have. I think it's going to be pretty difficult to be able to tow that in a vette even with a good hitch.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:23 PM
jsimpson
Drifting

You're both right. My horses weigh in at 1750 for the pair, and the trailer is 1350, so I need a MINIMUM of 3000 capacity. The trailer has self-actuating brakes, so towing it won't be a problem, but hooking it up sure is! If yours is a receiver hitch, I'd sure appreciate your e-mailing me pictures!
jegssr@juno.com
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Know of any late C-3 trailer hitch designs that are really good, like a hidden receiver?

Quick Reply: Know of any late C-3 trailer hitch designs that are really good, like a hidden receiver?