C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Deluxe Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
twy213
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Deluxe Door Panels

I have a 1976 with standard trim door panels, and recently got the deluxe trim for them (teak inserts, carpet and trim strips). Does anyone know how to install the carpet strips? Are you supposed to staple the attached vinyl to the backside of the door panel? How do you accurately install the chrome trim strip over the carpet? I don't want to screw up my existing door panels.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

I have standard panels to install on my '76. I think I have instructions that were sent with my panels. Did u get good used panels or new ones with instructions?

dw
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
76stingracer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the metal trim in place with the carpet underneath. Adjust then tighten the metal trim down to hold the carpet. Then stretch to fit and staple the vinyl attached to the carpet on the back side of the panel. Remember to fold the edges over to create a clean straight seam on either end
Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 76stingracer
Put the metal trim in place with the carpet underneath. Adjust then tighten the metal trim down to hold the carpet. Then stretch to fit and staple the vinyl attached to the carpet on the back side of the panel. Remember to fold the edges over to create a clean straight seam on either end

One thing to add....if you're starting with new door panels or standard ones, you'll have to place the chrome strip in the correct place, push down to make indentations where the posts are, then drill them out, before you can install the chrome. It's a little bit of a pita, but just be careful and get it all lined up.

As said, the chrome holds the top of the carpet in place and the vinyl gets fold under and behind the panel and held in place with some staples from a staple gun. Use plenty of staples....my factory ones had almost no space between staples.

Chris
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
twy213
3rd Gear

Thanks!! That's kind of what I thought. I think I will also need to drill the trim strip holes on an angle for the strip to sit flush with the panel. I ended up buying new standard panels back in '95 with the intention of upgrading later on (when I had the cash), but the panels didn't come with instructions.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

You can drill the holes straight through and be ok. If your mounting posts are at an angle on the chrome strips, it's because they're bent.

A couple of the bolts end up at wierd positions on the backside of the panel and the washer hangs off a little. On the original panels, the washers were just bent to sit against the backside.

Chris
Old 02-25-2007, 02:16 PM
twy213
3rd Gear

Thanks again! I finished both door panels and they came out pretty good. The biggest problem was stretching the vinyl behind the panel without pulling the carpet from the lower end of the carpet strip. The thickness of the reproduction door panels was different on both doors, so I had to adjust the trim strips to maximize the amount of carpet under them, while also maximizing the amount of vinyl to staple. I used a hair drier to heat up the vinyl and gave me another 1/8" to 3/16" to staple.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Glad they turned out nice. I always liked the look of the deluxe panels more than the standards.

The repro door panels have a plastic backing piece with foam inside instead of a press board backing which gives the different thickness. It makes it a little bit of a pain to fit stuff into it, but the nice thing is that water won't soak into the press board (since there is none) and ruin the panels.

They should also be more durable than the originals.

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Deluxe Door Panels

Quick Reply: 1976 Deluxe Door Panels