C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 (1980) Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 PM
tomard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 (1980) Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Can someone give me the correct steps to change out my auto tranny fluid on my 80?

I am not sure if I need to "flush", and if so, what I need, to do that ....

Or is it just get a new filter, gasket and 10qts of Dexron 3, remove pan bolts, drain it, clean off old gasket, if there is one, install new filter and install new gasket, then fill ..... or am I out in left field ???
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are right on.

Tip: Remove all bolts but the front row, and loosen them, allowing the pan to TILT downward so the fluid pours out slowly and controlled. Keep loosening them until enough fluid has drained that you can remove the bolts and get the pan off without spilling.

IF the fluid smells burnt...and you will be able to tell...it would be a good idea to flush, and that goes for the lines and coolant tank in the radiator.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by tomard
Can someone give me the correct steps to change out my auto tranny fluid on my 80?

I am not sure if I need to "flush", and if so, what I need, to do that ....

Or is it just get a new filter, gasket and 10qts of Dexron 3, remove pan bolts, drain it, clean off old gasket, if there is one, install new filter and install new gasket, then fill ..... or am I out in left field ???
That's all folks. Messy job. Loosen all bolts, then leave in two at one end, forming a hinge so to speak. Loosen the two slowly last to lower other end. Big mess. If pan is full of metal, fill and drive to tranny shop.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

But if your trans fluid stinks and is dark, or it hasn't been changed in about 50Kmiles or more, then you want to bring it to a shop to flush out and exchange all the fluid- including the couple of quarts in the converter that you can't change by just dropping the pan. Do it right the first time, and save your tranny!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:52 AM
tomard
Racer

Default HOW to "flush"

It sounds like flushing is not something possible for the DIY garage mechanic ? WHY is that anyway, is there a special pump or something that most guys would not have, too expensive or something else?

I will probably go to a shop from the responses that I have had so far, but just want to be more knowledgeable about it.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tomard
It sounds like flushing is not something possible for the DIY garage mechanic ? WHY is that anyway, is there a special pump or something that most guys would not have, too expensive or something else?

I will probably go to a shop from the responses that I have had so far, but just want to be more knowledgeable about it.

For a thorough flush, ALL the old fluid needs to come out, and that included the quart or so of fluid that still coats the inside of the transmission when it's drained, the quart or so in the torque converter that you can't drain, and the fluid in the lines and radiator. It can all be done at home but it's a lot easier for a shop to do a flush.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Joes80
Instructor

Might as well get a new pan with a drain plug.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Schwee
Instructor

Drain and refill as noted above, replacing the filter.
Then, before you start it, disconnect one of the cooling lines from the radiator and have some one start it. Let the nasty old fluid from the torque converter, et al, pump into a bucket with the engine running, while another friend slowly adds fluid to displace what's pumping out.
Continue until clean red fluid is being discharged.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, and you end up with a clean new fliter along with clean new fluid.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Schwee
Drain and refill as noted above, replacing the filter.
Then, before you start it, disconnect one of the cooling lines from the radiator and have some one start it. Let the nasty old fluid from the torque converter, et al, pump into a bucket with the engine running, while another friend slowly adds fluid to displace what's pumping out.
Continue until clean red fluid is being discharged.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, and you end up with a clean new fliter along with clean new fluid.

That's a good idea...I like that.

Question: How do you know which is the positive pump line.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 (1980) Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Quick Reply: C3 (1980) Auto Transmission Fluid Change