C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

I had three duces on my 67 Goat. Easy to set up cause you only had to maintain the center carb. Ran like a scalded dog when the linkage kicked in those other two carbs. The 4-speed felt like you had hit the passing gear in a automatic when you went from 2 to 6 bbls. But I eventually ran into a BB 71 vette w/4bbl that blew me away. So like Lars says, early on they were the thing to have, once technology passed them by they became marketing fodder.
BUT....
There was no subsitute for the WOW factor when you popped the hood.

4 bbls are boring to look at relatively speaking.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

My buddy is running a factory 3x2 setup on his nowhere near stock 66 427. It's putting out well over 600Hp. I will say, its a heck of a kick when the two outboard carbs kick in. That said, the engine builder said and we all agree that a good 4 barrel would yeild more power, but it's hard to deny the visual appeal of the tripower.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

I am presently installing a tri-power setup onto my 68 BB. Changed from a highrise 375 HP Camaro intake DP Holley setup to this. Haven't driven it so far, so can't speak about this point, but I suspect better fuel econnomy due to the relatively small primary of just over 300 CFM still allowing mega power with both large 2ndaries opening.

Also I don't know of any other tripower Vette in my area, hell country.

Mid April, I should be able to drive it.

I probably made a good deal with it with just 1000 Euro for the setup minus air filter. Got it because previous owner couldn't get it to run correctly and the reason probably was the vacuum connection of the 2ndary cans directly to the primary, with blocked 2ndary vacuum ports , acting like a DP. ( with no acceleration valves ).

Günther
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
4 bbls are boring to look at relatively speaking.
Yeah, it's not a 6-bbl, but 4-bbls need not be boring. The nickle-silver bodies look pretty nice, especially on modified carbs.

The new HP-series Holleys without chokes add to the wow if the air cleaner is removed.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

There was no subsitute for the WOW factor when you popped the hood.
Name:  CorvettePictures016.jpg
Views: 6631
Size:  166.9 KB

Last edited by 63mako; 03-28-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the great info, I learned a bunch of stuff I didn't know.
Curious about one thing though, (forgive me but I haven't checked into this much, since I been trying to run down originals) are there good aftermarket tri-power set-ups for our vettes? Are they more technologically advanced and easier to tune vs old school if so? Can you use an original 3x2 air cleaner with it? And whats price like?

Thanks again
Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as I know, the only aftermarket 3X2 setup available is the Barry Grant Six-Shooter. They make two big block applications...oval and rectangular port versions.

I don't know if the triangular air cleaner fits. No matter what...the Barry Grant stuff is **** hot.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:08 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Isn't the BG setup a DP setup ?

The original Vette setup is a vacuum setup .

Also the BG is just as expensive as a original setup , so why not go for the original ? ( unless you want to race or so ).

Günther
Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Doug S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3x2 vs. a std. Single 4bl…

There are pros and cons to either setup.
Single 4bls are generally less expensive to purchase.
There are more options available to fit different engines, and looks.

3x2 setups can be more intimidating.
They can also give better fuel economy than a standard 4bl carburetor since the center 2bl carburetor you’re driving around on is usually smaller than the primary 2bl’s of a 4bl carburetor.

Once you get into a full race application, or higher RPM setup there are many more 4bl intake manifolds available to be able to find one that is optimal.

We use mechanical linkage carburetors, on our Six-Shooter to get the best overall drivability, and make the tuning as simple as possible.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug S
3x2 vs. a std. Single 4bl…

There are pros and cons to either setup.
Single 4bls are generally less expensive to purchase.
There are more options available to fit different engines, and looks.

3x2 setups can be more intimidating.
They can also give better fuel economy than a standard 4bl carburetor since the center 2bl carburetor you’re driving around on is usually smaller than the primary 2bl’s of a 4bl carburetor.

Once you get into a full race application, or higher RPM setup there are many more 4bl intake manifolds available to be able to find one that is optimal.

We use mechanical linkage carburetors, on our Six-Shooter to get the best overall drivability, and make the tuning as simple as possible.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Thanks, checked your site and what they go for from Jegs. Few questions:

Does it fit under a stock hood?
Can you use stock (triangular) air cleaner?
Does the vaccum hoses hook up similar to original?

Just curious, but what is the difference between old school and the demon Sixshooter? ie., far as the lack of vaccum pods, the linkages, fuel line, etc.

Thanks much

Last edited by 1ARACE; 03-31-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Anyone have experience with the Barry Grant Sixshooter?

Old 03-31-2007, 10:12 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
Anyone have experience with the Barry Grant Sixshooter?

The picture above that I posted last is a member here. His Barry Grant setup is for sale in the C3 parts Section . He is going with 4 Deltoro's. PM him.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63mako
The picture above that I posted last is a member here. His Barry Grant setup is for sale in the C3 parts Section . He is going with 4 Deltoro's. PM him.
Sorry, but not sure who you are referring to, but the pic above, it seems you can use stock air cleaner with it...is that right? If it is rect port and the BG sixshooter for BBC, then yes, I may be interested.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
Sorry, but not sure who you are referring to, but the pic above, it seems you can use stock air cleaner with it...is that right? If it is rect port and the BG sixshooter for BBC, then yes, I may be interested.
His is a small block. But you can go to this link and PM him on how it worked. I think he had to modify the base of the stock unit to get it to fit. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1650196
Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

His is a small block. But you can go to this link and PM him on how it worked. I think he had to modify the base of the stock unit to get it to fit. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1650196
Thanks 63mako, I guess i'll call BG and see if the BB sixshooter fits under a stock hood...or for the dimensions at least to compare to original height. I take it not many people here have used or are using the BB sixshooter?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the SixShooter is likely the better setup over the original as it takes advantage in all the advances in automotive technology over the years. It's designed as one system working together.

An alternative is that Holley still makes the same 2-barrel carbs new if you can find a good condition original Chevy 3X2 intake to go with it...plus you know the triangular air cleaner will work.

As expensive as that can be, I think the BG system is a better buy.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:02 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Roughrider
I think the SixShooter is likely the better setup over the original as it takes advantage in all the advances in automotive technology over the years. It's designed as one system working together.

An alternative is that Holley still makes the same 2-barrel carbs new if you can find a good condition original Chevy 3X2 intake to go with it...plus you know the triangular air cleaner will work.

I think if you buy direct from BG and give them your engine info I think they will jet and setup the system to match your requirements. The stock system with the vacumn pods would be pretty tricky to setup with a hot cam and better flowing heads. Call BG and see what they will do.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roughrider
What I was thinking too.

Interesting, did not know Holley made them still, but with amount they charge i'm guessing it would be wiser to use that $$$$ towards an actual date correct set.

I think if you buy direct from BG and give them your engine info I think they will jet and setup the system to match your requirements.
That's pretty convienient, have to call and get more info.

The stock system with the vacumn pods would be pretty tricky to setup with a hot cam and better flowing heads. Call BG and see what they will do.
What I have been leary about, since i'm running original 840 heads with .242/.242 solid lifter cam, at 10.5:1 compression.

Thanks for the replies
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Lets sum up a few of the latest issues.

BG.....Advanced technology with mechanical progressive linkage on a tri power?
Yep, thats only 50+ years old.

Vacuum pods wont work with 10.5 compression and high lift cam?
As I noted in a previous post, I used them on a REAL L88 and it works just fine with out a vacuum can advance system.

What I have always wanted to use was a '67' 435 tall intake on my LS7 Camaro and like a fool let a few slip through my fingers. But, I would trade a 68 unit for a 67 as I have 3 low manifolds.

Which is better Factory or BG?
I`m personally not sure, probably 4 more idle circuts to contend with a BG and maybe heighth under a hood may limit a fit without a scoop, but it`s brand new and thats a huge plus. I know I would like to try one.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Lets sum up a few of the latest issues.

BG.....Advanced technology with mechanical progressive linkage on a tri power?
Yep, thats only 50+ years old.

Vacuum pods wont work with 10.5 compression and high lift cam?
As I noted in a previous post, I used them on a REAL L88 and it works just fine with out a vacuum can advance system.
Well hell, stock was factory 11:1 compression via data plate, which realistically was about 12:5:1 compression with a much higher lift cam than a .242/.242 (can't remember stock cam specs off hand, but a lot higher lift), I was just agreeing original may be more difficult to tune vs the BG setup...I have no proof, but seems that way.

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?