C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:57 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
Well hell, stock was factory 11:1 compression via data plate, which realistically was about 12:5:1 compression with a much higher lift cam than a .242/.242 (can't remember stock cam specs off hand, but a lot higher lift), I was just agreeing original may be more difficult to tune vs the BG setup...I have no proof, but seems that way.
The stock setup has vacumn pots to kick in the outboard carbs. I would think they are different from the 400 hp vs the 435 hp as well as the accelerator pumps, jets and maybe the power valve. I don't know as I never worked on the stock vette setups. A mechanical progressive linkage is how i set mine up. Much simpler system. I think the BG is progressive and only has idle circuits on the center carb. Might be able to adapt a progressive linkage to the stock setup as well. Someone who has the stock setup will probably chime in so, to the top for you!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Doug S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, checked your site and what they go for from Jegs. Few questions:

Does it fit under a stock hood?
Can you use stock (triangular) air cleaner?
Does the vaccum hoses hook up similar to original?

Just curious, but what is the difference between old school and the demon Sixshooter? ie., far as the lack of vaccum pods, the linkages, fuel line, etc.

Thanks much

Yes, we have customers with them under stock hoods.

No, you would have to make a different base to use a stock top.

Yes, similar vacuum connections.

The "Old School" setup uses three smaller air cleaners vs. the oval billet one that comes with the kit stock, and uses the vintage red fuel lines instead of the billet fuel rail like our other kits.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
The stock setup has vacumn pots to kick in the outboard carbs. I would think they are different from the 400 hp vs the 435 hp as well as the accelerator pumps, jets and maybe the power valve. I don't know as I never worked on the stock vette setups. A mechanical progressive linkage is how i set mine up. Much simpler system. I think the BG is progressive and only has idle circuits on the center carb. Might be able to adapt a progressive linkage to the stock setup as well. Someone who has the stock setup will probably chime in so, to the top for you!
I dont believe the OEM tri-power will work very well with a manuel progressive linkage as there are no pumps in the end carburators, only the center has one. I would predict a huge stumble by opening the ends with the center.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug S
Yes, we have customers with them under stock hoods.

No, you would have to make a different base to use a stock top.

Yes, similar vacuum connections.

The "Old School" setup uses three smaller air cleaners vs. the oval billet one that comes with the kit stock, and uses the vintage red fuel lines instead of the billet fuel rail like our other kits.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Thanks much Curious, how much is it to buy direct? Did not see anything listed on your website.
63mako said you can set jets to my specs, how much detail do you typically ask for and is it a courtesy or charge for it?
Guess I could just call sometime, but since your reading the forums
Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have said this before, I would put three deuces on mine just for the factor, even if it cost me a few ponies
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks much Curious, how much is it to buy direct? Did not see anything listed on your website.
63mako said you can set jets to my specs, how much detail do you typically ask for and is it a courtesy or charge for it?
PM them!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63mako
PM them!
Well maybe other members are interested or curious, could be free/easy publicity
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Oh Yes,

I`d love to try one on this sucker with three individual little air cleaners. This is the LS7 I wanted the tall 1967 435 HP Tri-power for. I was thinking it would or may run a little bit better than the single 850. What do you think? Go better than it`s current 11.2`s......

Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Glenn454
Racer

I thought i would share some pictures of 2 69 435s i sold last year.
These cars when set up right make great power.. And when you pop the hood
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Doug S
Instructor

Actually being a manufacture all sales go through our distributors.

We prefer to build our products to a baseline. Reason being, we’ve found over the years that when we build each product to a baseline it is actually easier to help our customers dial in the combination to their specific needs rather than our interpretation of what we think they want. This way a customer can contact any of our technicians and go they’re going to know specifically how the carburetor (or system) should be built, rather than trying to figure out why someone changed a calibration in one direction or another.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Doug S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I`d love to try one on this sucker with three individual little air cleaners. This is the LS7 I wanted the tall 1967 435 HP Tri-power for. I was thinking it would or may run a little bit better than the single 850. What do you think? Go better than it`s current 11.2`s......
Ironcross,

We just had a customer with a ZL1 BBC in a Chevelle do a back to back chassis dyno test between the stock GM intake and Holley® 850 vs. our Six-Shooter system. The only thing they did different on our Six-Shooter from stock was to gasket match the intake flange to the gaskets they were using (it was pretty close right out of the box). The HP went from 343 (at the rear wheels) up to 358, but the torque is what was really impressive it went from 348 with the single 4bl up to 376 with the Six-Shooter. The other thing is the drivability on them is phenomenal, since you’re driving around town on the center 2bl and bring the outboard carbs in only when you need em.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug S
Actually being a manufacture all sales go through our distributors.

We prefer to build our products to a baseline. Reason being, we’ve found over the years that when we build each product to a baseline it is actually easier to help our customers dial in the combination to their specific needs rather than our interpretation of what we think they want. This way a customer can contact any of our technicians and go they’re going to know specifically how the carburetor (or system) should be built, rather than trying to figure out why someone changed a calibration in one direction or another.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com

Thanks again I'm really thinking about it Seems like a nice set-up.

I just have a hard time coughing up the $$$$ for an original set-up, which will probably need restoration, more $$$, and difficult to tune. I changed to VB&P suspension, so that pretty much shot the NCRS idea in the foot, so I guess aftermarket tri-power won't matter.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

As Motorhead implieds, it's all about Bling, Bling, Bling.

Nothing beats the vision of a tri-power when you raise the hood. Not everyone is after that last elusive horse.

Ralph.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM
NHRalph
Racer

Default Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Many years ago, I put a Cuda 6-Pack set-up on my 69 Formula S Barracuda. I had it set up with progressive linkage, not vacum and loved the sound as the other carbs kicked in. As for power, I don't think tri-power would have any gains and may give less Now if you placed 8 Strombergs, then you'd have it all! ( Then again, maybe not but it would still look and sound great! )
Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
In 74 I put a trypower off a 69 435 on my modded 73 454, paid
$85.00 for the complete setup and spent $15.00 for three carb
rebuild kits. With the 350 cfm center carb and 500 cfm vacumm
end carbs its as simple as any vacumm secondary holley four barrell.
I ran it for a couple yrs sold it for $125.00. I would buy another one
in a heart beat if they did not cost $2500.00 on up today.
I recall my Dad bought an original GM aluminum intake and the TWO 4's for his 60 convertible 283. I think he paid $75.00 for the whole set up. It's sitting on the shelf in my basement today!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM
brngrhd
Racer

so from reading this it looks like the tri power on hte car i just bought will be fine to make the 5-600rwhp i want. that and it does carry a far amount of bling factor.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:46 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh you probably have and forgot. Heres one multi setup directly on the subject but of another manufacturer and does out perform a single 4 bore.

What would we do without the knowledgeable WALLY??? haha

The man has seen it all!

Get notified of new replies

To Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Well I bought the BG Sixshooter, so guess i'll let you all know how it works out, arrives tomorrow and should be able to fire it up in next 4-6 weeks, hopefully.
Have to break engine in before any real testing though.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Oh you probably have and forgot. Heres one multi setup directly on the subject but of another manufacturer and does out perform a single 4 bore.

I haven't seen one of those since I was 19. Those things scream on a BB Hemi.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When your car is done and broken in with that setup, you'll be the local John Holmes of the Vette set, so to speak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?