C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Motor Mounts Melted

Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly Motor Mounts Melted

I was under my car today and noticed a giant red blob hanging down from the engine compartment. I have the Energy Suspension red poly mounts, and it looks like the heat from my headers destroyed them. Is this a common problem with headers? Is there a different brand that doesn't melt?
I probably got these 6 years ago, but I hadn't been driving it much. I'm planning on making this my daily driver again. I really liked the poly compared to the old rubber ones, but I don't want to have to replace them all the time.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

First, verify ignition timing & fuel mix are correct.

Failing that, suggest fab simple small sheet-metal shields attached around poly mounts.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same mounts on my big block car with headers and no issues. I agree with timing check post above.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same problem with stainless steel block hugger headers that were about 1/2" from the Energy poly motor mounts. I switched to fully length ceramic coated headers that are much further from the motor mounts, and I have not had any motor mount-heat problems since. My engine is better tuned now (including timing), so I can't attribute the solution to either the headers or timing exclusively...both changes probably helped solve the problem.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM
straub18045
Racer

i have those mounts, no problems but my headers are ceramic coated.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

I'll check my timing, but I don't think I can change the fuel mixture on my 81, I'm pretty sure that's controlled by the computer. I do have the Dynomax ceramic coated headers and they are about 1-1/2 inches from the mounts. If I change to solid mounts would those eventually cause something to crack? The engine I put in there has about 300 hp.

I do remember the engine overheating because I had air in the coolant a while ago, maybe that caused it, I was driving it a lot at that time.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen quite a few threads regarding molten poly mounts in the past...
even with heat shields fitted!

What's wrong with rubber mounts? If you have a lot of torque twist, you can limit the strain on the left mount by using some old hot rodder tricks...
... use a chain bolted low on the chassis to a left side header mount bolt ...
or fit a bolt through left mount plates to limit the extension distance....

both methods work.

Vibration insulation under normal driving, but limited torque twist under full load.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I went with solid mounts, no issues and no real vibrations to complain about.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

solid mounts. Cheap and they'll last forever.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had solid mounts on my shark for ages without complaint.
Moroso # 62530 fits all SB & BB C2/C3 applications.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Y
I have the same mounts on my big block car with headers and no issues. I agree with timing check post above.
I have them on my BB with headers - no issues!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Timing is set correct, I think the poly melted when I had an overheating problem last year, and I just never noticed it. The solid mounts are cheap enough that I'm willing to give them a try.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Truck490
1st Gear

Default Mounts Melting

Originally Posted by Ben Taylor
I was under my car today and noticed a giant red blob hanging down from the engine compartment. I have the Energy Suspension red poly mounts, and it looks like the heat from my headers destroyed them. Is this a common problem with headers? Is there a different brand that doesn't melt?
I probably got these 6 years ago, but I hadn't been driving it much. I'm planning on making this my daily driver again. I really liked the poly compared to the old rubber ones, but I don't want to have to replace them all the time.
Guess I’m not the only one having this problem. Two sets of the ENS mounts gone. I submitted to ENS and their suggestion was to install a heat shield
Desiging one now but will need to check out these other suggestion also! Hope this works too expensive to replace

designing
Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Put a set of Moroso solid mounts on and call it a day.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

You guys recommending solid mounts, are you also running a spreader bar?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I agree. Moroso Solids, ARP bolts, Loctite Blue and never look back. Very, very, slight vibration in the steering wheel, but I can live with that.

Some of the older fellas & gals may remember the notorious, history making GM motor mount failure of the 70's. Thousands sheared apart, usually under acceleration. The recall fix was a steel cable to harness any separation.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 12-17-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
I've had solid mounts on my shark for ages without complaint.
Moroso # 62530 fits all SB & BB C2/C3 applications.
Same here.....the first holeshot I pulled with my 406 broke the factory mount.
My friend had those Energy Suspension mounts and they melted....32' Ford with block huggers....went Moroso and called it a day.

Jebby

Get notified of new replies

To Poly Motor Mounts Melted

Old 12-17-2018, 02:58 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I run the solid motor mounts also and I have a spreader bar. It eliminates the broken motor mount problem and tightens up the car. I also have my frame solid welded and gusseted, so the the overall difference from stock is stark.

Mike
Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

on a C3, remember that the body is isolated from the frame: the body has rubber bushings for mounting to the frame. this means that vibration, noise on the frame is not transmitted into the cabin. So in the case of the C3, use of steel motor mounts does not result in a whole lot of engine noise, vibration being heard or felt in the interior of the cabin.

totally different story on uni-body cars, though, where the frame is integrated into the body.

I also put the Moroso steel motor mounts on my 78 with a BBC, and was surprised that there wasn't much noise/vibration difference. That then inspired me to install solid motor mounts on my 1990 Camaro (unibody). Whoa, big difference, totally, like night and day. But I got used to it, and now revel in the experience. Don't need no stereo in the IROC any more. total engine-sound, surround-sound "immersion".
Old 12-17-2018, 03:48 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Taylor
I had headers on my car for years with no heat shields and my energy suspension mounts never melted. But suppliers do change materials, often without notice. My new setup now includes a shield just for insurance.

The scientist in me would put the remains in the oven and see at what temperature they became mushy!

Also if you replace the mounts with equivalents, you should make sure they have a travel limit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poly Motor Mounts Melted