C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ring and pinion change

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Rich N.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ring and pinion change

asleep at the switch. wrongly posted this under "parts"

need advice on changing the rear gears on my #2 '81 4spd. I had the complete rear changed in the other with a donor '74. It was done professionally. however, about 40 years ago a friend (expert motorhead) and I changed out the ring and pinion on my '57. this Dana44 is nothing like the '57, but I thought I might give it a try. I have some skills, but no wizard. usually I know when I'm over my head. I have mixed feelings about this job. been reading the shop manual and have the tools.

should I leave this rear to a pro, or is it a pretty straight forward job ? Richmond gears have a good reputation in my area. should I go with them or is there better ? I want to change out from the stock 2:72 to 3:55. the rear is in excellent condition with no noises or other issues. the pumpkin looks small, but a quick measurement indicates it should fit a 3:55 ring gear.

thanks in advance. Rich
Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to forum member - Tracdogg2 - Mike Dyer. He knows the 80-82 rears and can give you good advice at the very least.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Rich N.
Instructor

thanks. I'll contact him before I jump in. my ego won't be hurt if it's more than I can handle.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Rich N.
Instructor

thanks Mike. you saved me from a big mistake. I thought that this job may have problems. I'll try most things on cars, but usually shy away from trans and body work. your explanation of the process leaves a lot to go wrong for the inexperienced. always found it's best to do it right the first time than try to repair someone else's mistake. this job goes directly to the pros.

this is why the CF is the best. thanks again, Rich
Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Save yourself a lot a frustration- send it to Mike. I rebuild vette diff and will not do these. They require setup bearings and experience. I haven't seen a written procedure for these like I wrote for the 63-79's so you may find yourself with the car down longer and costing more in the long run..
Old 05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Rich N.
Instructor

yeah, that's the way I figure it. thanks for the confirmation. sometimes we like to stretch our ability, but you have to know when not to. usually, it's a gut feeling telling you something. you have to listen. that's why this forum is the place to go BEFORE you're in over your head. as I always say, nothing beats experience.

Get notified of new replies

To ring and pinion change

Quick Reply: ring and pinion change