C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fusible Link Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

There is one under drivers side fender on solenoid mine was bad repaired works fine
Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The '78's thru '82's have a real problem with the white 8 pin Molex connector sitting just above the heater/evaporator box having corroded/burned connection. IIRC, the main power feed to the fusebox coming up from the fuse-link on the starter runs thru this connector. Check the heavy red wire for a burned connector. Should be hot (alive) all the time. Check both sides of the connector.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by shafrs3
I'd bet it's 14ga like my '72. I don't think they make a bigger one.
Hmm...is there some sort of way they're rated as to what it takes to burn it up?

I want to run a nice heavy wire from my CS144 to the starter, and I'm trying to figure out how to keep that safety functionality.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Hmm...is there some sort of way they're rated as to what it takes to burn it up?

I want to run a nice heavy wire from my CS144 to the starter, and I'm trying to figure out how to keep that safety functionality.
Batman I don't think you need a heavier gauge link there just because you're installing a higher amp alternator because that point is not the central point of power distribution. I know later model cars are wired differently than mine so I can't be specific, maybe someone with similar wiring can give you a good answer.

On my car the central power distribution point is a lug on the horn relay, and I increased the wire gauge feeding from the alt to that lug.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jdp6000
A fusible link is just a thinner wire. I forgot the calculation. but lets say you starter wire is 16 gauge...the fusible link is a 14 or 12 guage (depending on calculation)wire soldiered in. The theory is that if you over load the system you will have a controlled burn in the harness on the thinner wire.

Jim
A fuseable link is a wire composed of a solder-like material which melts without a chance of burning. A wire consisting of copper , when subject to an overload, may burn and start a fire. Not good.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Batman I don't think you need a heavier gauge link there just because you're installing a higher amp alternator because that point is not the central point of power distribution. I know later model cars are wired differently than mine so I can't be specific, maybe someone with similar wiring can give you a good answer.

On my car the central power distribution point is a lug on the horn relay, and I increased the wire gauge feeding from the alt to that lug.
My car is the same way, but I plan to hook two amplifiers up from the battery positive terminal...I'd like to make sure that the path from the alternator, through the starter terminal to the battery is as robust as possible. Bubba has attacked the wiring at the starter, anyway...so it needs some repair work. I might not even have a fuseable link there anymore...
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd bet it's 14ga like my '72. I don't think they make a bigger one.
14ga between alternator and battery. IIRC, you don't want the wire here to be any bigger because the alternator will put out too much current for the battery to "absorb." In your case, don't you want bigger wiring in the amplifier circuits??

Last edited by Z-man; 05-09-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Z-man
14ga between alternator and battery.

Any idea how long it is?

Anyone have the specs on the other fuseable link at the battery?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 AM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
A fuseable link is a wire composed of a solder-like material which melts without a chance of burning. A wire consisting of copper , when subject to an overload, may burn and start a fire. Not good.

Just for yuks I checked my service manual. Not only does it say NOT to use just any old wire, it also says that the fusible link also has some sort of special insulation that will not burn.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

My car is the same way, but I plan to hook two amplifiers up from the battery positive terminal...I'd like to make sure that the path from the alternator, through the starter terminal to the battery is as robust as possible. Bubba has attacked the wiring at the starter, anyway...so it needs some repair work. I might not even have a fuseable link there anymore...
My only suggestion would be to purchase an Optima deep cycle battery and perhaps upgrade that circuit with a larger wire. You could also run another wire in parallel from the distribution post to the starter with it's own fusible link, the existing wire is 12ga.

I wouldn't remove any links from your existing harness.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Batty, do NOT run your amps off the battery post, run them off the horn relay spot, leave your stock (hopefully) starter wiring alone....

and increase your wire to the horn relay for the extra currents being drawn....another valid way is take the amps directly off the alternator output stud....

IF you get a alternator whine in the speakers, you may well have to upgrade the amps, OR the input devices...filter the power supplies, etc....aftermarket cheep sound systems often have that affliction, and it's hard to get rid of....but decent designs do not....it's about how they do the power supplies in the electronics....something you/I can not change....not cheep anyway....
Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Batman;
Just an opinion here, but this is what I would do.
An optima is a good idea, but I would not swap it if your battery is good.
Make sure your lead from the alternator to the battery is in good shape and large enough to carry the current for the amps and battery charge current, that will be 20amps + the amps, probably a 14 or maybe a 12 ga wire. Put a fuse link from the term block to the battery and tie the amps to the term block, they should be fuse protected.
Run another 12 ga from the alt to the battery cable on the starter and protect it with a fuse link or a CB.

What that willl do is split the load from the alternator between the 2 circuits and shorten the current path for everything else in the car. I asume you already have done the relay conversion for the lights, fans etc, if not you should do that too.

I'll dig up the drawing I am going to use for mine, more or less the same thing as above. Its still under construction, but I'll post it tonight,
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The rule of thumb is four points difference. You will probably find that the red wire to the starter is 10-gauge and the (smaller) fusible link will be 14 gauge. It is NOT just a smaller copper wire.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 AM
RAGTOP75
Instructor

I think I found it. I used my test light and probed the fuseable links. I found the link that goes into the fuse box and started probing about 6 inches from the firewall. when I got about 2 inches from the forewall, no light......I pinched the wire and it feels like there is no wire in there. This must be the feeder for the fuse box????? It either case I'll replace this and go from there. Do you think I'm going in the right direction here? Thanks, Larry
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea how long it is?

Anyone have the specs on the other fuseable link at the battery?
The replacements look to be about 3 inches long. My original is buried under all kinds of tape, etc. Not sure about the other one.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
RAGTOP75
Instructor

VIOLA!!!! The fuse link that goes into the firewall side of the fuse box was burnt. There is about 1 inch of good wire coming out of the box....should I replace the whole back of the box which has the wires going to the alternator and headlights? I don't think I feel real good about a patch job....please let me know what you think...Thanks, Larry
Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something besides age probably caused it to fail; i think i'd try to find that as well. if your on a budget and the remaining wire is okay, you should be okay with the fix. using relays for headlights would help reduce the load on that wire, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To The Fusible Link Thread [merged]

Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

what year car and what make did the CS144 alt come from
Old 05-09-2007, 01:38 PM
jetweezil
5th Gear

Do you have any pictures of where to find the connector?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Freepop
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The difference is that fusible links are NEVER supposed to fail. Said another way, there should be no reason for a failure in the line with a fusible link unless someone working on the car has made an error [generally, has caused a direct short]. Fused circuits have devices on them that can fail and cause an overload. Fix the device and replace the fuse. There are lots and lots of GM cars still on the road that have never had a fusible link failure and never will... unless Bubba gets to them!
I beg to differ based on an experience. Late 70's on a very cold morning my car wouldn't start. No spark. After playing around with it for a couple of hours I cut ou the link and walla! car starts right up. Who know who what when where or why but it worked.

Quick Reply: The Fusible Link Thread [merged]