C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoration Project Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration Project Bangkok

Hey Guys/Gals,
I joined the forum a few months back and have enjoyed reading and gathering the tons of great info regarding your restoration projects and technical info. I am in the Navy stationed in Bangkok. I have an 80 LG4 that I purchased in California and shipped here for restoration. I loved the 80 but not a fan of the LG4 (who would be?) but bought this car because it was virtually corrosion free and in good shape. I don't have a lot of money (paltry sailor pay) and had heard that the labor rates here were ridiculously cheap. "Bangkok Dean" can vouch for that.
After a year of researching auto shops here and collecting parts I finally got the project underway last week the shop is providing me labor under my supervision for two months (about 20 hours a week). They will charge me $2000 for the labor and the paint will be included (Sandox paint...a dupont product). The project will be a body on restoration and will include the following tasks:

1. complete interior restoration incuding dynamat extreme and dynapads(seats, carpet, door panels from al knoch)
2. new paint (original Can Am white)
3. undercarriage restoration clean, seal, paint
4. replace bumper with trueflex bumper
5. new stereo install (Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio amp, Pioneer head)
6. misc. add ons and goodies

I'll post photos as we progress...I hope that my efforts will benefit other forum members and maybe when I hit that inevitable snag you guys can chime in and help out. If you're ever in Bangkok look me up...I speak, read, and write Thai and know all the best spots in Thailand.

Stay Cool, Ike

Last edited by ikesterx; 03-25-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: adjusting pics to show with text
Old 03-24-2007, 11:32 PM
sdonnelly
Pro

Looks like a great project! Look forward to some progress photos.
And welcome!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 AM
ikesterx
Instructor

Default Got the pictures posted correctly now

Geez, Finally figured out how to post pics in the text.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 AM
ikesterx
Instructor

Default good argument for buying your vette from CA or AZ

More pics and I'm glad to say corrosion is not gonna be a problem. What little we had in the window seams and birdcage, exposed frame areas was removed with very light sanding. Got the rims polished, sealed and the slots coated with fresh paint...and yes after long thought had the tires remounted to reveal the white lettering. I found out that its a travesty (in Thailand) to not have your lettering showing (go figure).

Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

looking good, where are you having the work done
Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Vattana Body Service Sukumvit Road in Bang Na across the street from the Thai Naval Academy. They do great work and have all the latest equipment. So far I'm very pleased with their work and patience in dealing with me.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
jack 69
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

WOW!... what a great story you will have when done!...what a great story now!!! GOOD LUCK!!! more pics please!

Last edited by jack 69; 03-27-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Default More Pics

My guys got underneath the car cleaned, sanded, taped, busted knuckles and sanded some more. I'm quite pleased that there was so little corrosion. The A arms had most of the trouble spots but we were able to sand it off with a dremel like power tool. I had everything primed and painted flat black underneath except engine, tranny and shocks. We still have to go back and clean up over spray and paint some items either orange, gray, or silver...still figuring that out using the forum. The fender liners were in great shape, they cleaned up nicely.
One thing I have to address when I get my car back to the U.S. is new pipes and headers. I gotta get rid of that cat and crossover set up. If anyone has any pipe/header recommendations let me hear it.
We rehung the doors and got the gaps spaced just right and applied the first coats of paint on the body..they did a great job of matching my touch up paint of PPG can am white. I don't know much about this Sandox paint from Dupont, evidently, it is the paint of choice for Mercedes. Looks good to me. After the painting is done we'll put in the new weather strip and lay down dynamat extreme and dynapad.
Stay Cool, Ike

Last edited by ikesterx; 03-28-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: photo editing
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

sounds good but all I see is red Xs
Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
ikesterx
Instructor

Dean,
It's the crappy internet service here in Bangkok...that happens to me when everyone in the building is using internet. Try loggin on in an off hour (the the middle of the day when all Thais are sleeping)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ikesterx
Dean,
It's the crappy internet service here in Bangkok...that happens to me when everyone in the building is using internet. Try loggin on in an off hour (the the middle of the day when all Thais are sleeping)
9:18pm

Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I get this on the last set...

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /photos2764/4/26/75/93/12/4/412937526403_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at upsa-im115.ofoto.com Port 80
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Thats wild... it shows fine for me. Maybe I should re-enter those pics.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Default My bad...pics fixed

Sorry guys...had to go back to photobucket. I guess if you've never logged into kodakgallery.com you can't see the pics.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

I see them now, thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Dean, I also went back and fixed those pics in the "post a pic of yourself" thread...if ya wanna see what a real "handsome man" looks like.
Ike
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
tlrs819
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Standox is the german arm of the Dupont empire. Seems like they bought it a few years ago. I've heard of it from a few jobbers here and think it's probably very good paint. Project looks great and you can't beat the price!

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration Project Bangkok

Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 AM
ikesterx
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlrs819
I believe Standox is the german arm of the Dupont empire. Seems like they bought it a few years ago. I've heard of it from a few jobbers here and think it's probably very good paint. Project looks great and you can't beat the price!
The price of labor is ridiculously cheap. I'm gonna buy a C3 vert this fall ship it back here with all the parts I need and do a complete body off restortion with this shop. I've crunched the numbers (including shipping, parts, and new crate motor) and figured that project plus air fare and 1 month budget hotel stay will costs no more than $30,000. That's half of what most restoration shops quote me in the U.S. and I get a Thailand vacation in the deal. Now if you have a wife to answer to what better sell can there be for that.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:49 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

Default Update from Bangkok

We got the Dynamat extreme and Dynapad laid down, even got dynamat inside the doors and we'll put another layer under the door panels once we get the window hardware back in place. We're waiting for the new Al Knoch interior to arrive any day now.
We started fitting the true flex bumper and after two days of wrestling with that thing we have a sizeable gap at the left front quarter panel (see pic). As a matter fact the original had a little space there as well. We have concluded that there is no way to fix that and we'll have to use fiberglass to fill that void. Not sure how it will work out, but these body guys seem to think it'll be no big deal. We'll see...more pics to follow.
Also picked up a set of spinners for my wheels...check it out I think they look cool... a nice change up.
stay tuned, Ike

Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ikesterx
Dean, I also went back and fixed those pics in the "post a pic of yourself" thread...if ya wanna see what a real "handsome man" looks like.
Ike
I saw your picture and now know why your nick name is Ike

Your frame and bird cage look solid.

Quick Reply: Restoration Project Bangkok