C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed swap questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:11 PM
matt77vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed swap questions..

ok i have decided and am almost there except for a few problesm i am swapping ym wrecked LT1 motor and 6 Speed T56 trans in to my 1977 vette has anyone elses done this that can help me? my camaro was a 1995 z28...can i use the cltuch peadels from the camaro? can i use the hydrolic clutch linkage instaed of mechanicl linkage?....this is were i am stuck the peadels and linkiage and stuff any help please...thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want to change the pedals, I fitted the T56 with the stock pedals and a set of Speed Direct clutch rods no issues at all. Have a look at my website for photo's, hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
CobraRon
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graemeinvette
Why do you want to change the pedals, I fitted the T56 with the stock pedals and a set of Speed Direct clutch rods no issues at all. Have a look at my website for photo's, hope this helps.
What kind of shifter is that? (I'm starting to research putting an LS1/T56 into my 1980; conversion from automatic)

Great looking car, BTW!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt77vette
ok i have decided and am almost there except for a few problesm i am swapping ym wrecked LT1 motor and 6 Speed T56 trans in to my 1977 vette has anyone elses done this that can help me? my camaro was a 1995 z28...can i use the cltuch peadels from the camaro? can i use the hydrolic clutch linkage instaed of mechanicl linkage?....this is were i am stuck the peadels and linkiage and stuff any help please...thanks
The pedals are not the same so you will need to find a C3 pedal assembly. The hydraulics will work fine(as long as it worked fine in the Camaro). The shifter is going to be too far back and on the centerline of the tranny instead of offset towards the driver like it should be. Console modification will be required. The crossmember will need to be modified as well. Other than that.....should be a slam dunk.
You would be further ahead to start off with a viper T56, that shifter is easily relocated to the correct position.
The cool part is that when your done, you'll have a double overdrive and low cruising rpm's.
Good Luck.

Richard
Tech Support
Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you get the transmission crossmember? Is it something you bought and modified or was it built from scratch?

Rick B.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Vince'82
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm using an LT1 T56 too.
it's going in my 82.

here are some pics

the LT1 T56 with slave/master from the f-body.
the yoke and trans mount are from my TH700R4.

because of the weird angle of the master cylinder, I'll use a mc from a 85 one ton truck with custom line. it has a smaller diameter (11/16" instead of 3/4") so it will need more stroke on the pedal.

for the clutch, I'll use a LT4 pull-type pressure plate (original VALEO part) and a McLeod disk.

this is the stock TH700R4 crossmember. the T56 needs to be about 1/2-3/4" lower.
I modified the stock crossmember

here it is... I checked driveline angles within 0.2°.

the trans almost clears the tunnel. I had to slightly massage the tunnel with a hammer and remove a rubber bumper which is mounter on top of the tranny.

I had to cut the tunnel for the shifter too (my vette was an automatic).

the driveshaft is the stock TH700 one.

I still need to measure how far the shifter is from the stock opening in the console. It seems that a 1.5" offset to the front and 1" to the left will be good. I plan to order a McLeod shifter (but I want my shifter centered in the console).

hope this helps...
/Vince
Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince'82
I still need to measure how far the shifter is from the stock opening in the console. It seems that a 1.5" offset to the front and 1" to the left will be good. I plan to order a McLeod shifter (but I want my shifter centered in the console).
hope this helps...
/Vince

It is looking really nice. You'll be smiling from ear to ear when it's all said and done.
Just so you know, the shifter should be 25.93" back from the block flange(where the bell bolts up) and 2.313" offset towards the drivers side from the centerline of the tunnel.
Hope this helps.

Richard
Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
spadanko
1st Gear

Could you please tell me the exact thickness of the spacer for the clutch slave cylinder. Mine is missing and i need to make something asap. Thanks
awesome looking project to keep up the good work
Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
hånta
Advanced

Vince'82

I realy love your work,keep up the good working
Old 11-08-2018, 03:17 PM
2 Hawks
1st Gear

Hi folks- I joined this site because my gf's '94 Trans Am GT (1 of 1100), Lt1/T56 always has to be cross-referenced w/a 2000 Vette.when we buy parts.I've owned 4 'Birds, a 69 (326HO/Muncie 3sp), 2 gen III's and a '75 Formula 400) so I like to think I;m not totally ignorant.

The trans doesn't have the clutch slave showing. I need to pull so I can replace clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, etc.I have not been able to drop the trans at all, and can't find the prybar slots.

Any way you fine folks could help is greatly appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 speed swap questions..

Quick Reply: 6 speed swap questions..