C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Box Rebuild. Lots of Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Steering Box Rebuild. Lots of Pics!!!

I sent my '68 steering box off to Gary in Connecticut for a very much needed rebuild. Gary is a well known corvette steering gear box and differential rebuilder, and for good reason. The entire process was probably the most painless and hassle-free experience I've had to date while rebuilding my corvette. He was very professional and asked a lot of questions before tearing into my box. During the build, he took pictures of the status and e-mailed them to me to keep me updated. I thought that was above and beyond. In the end, pretty much all of the internals needed replacing which wasn't suprising after 40 years of service. I received my better than new box yesterday and am extremely pleased with the results. Total build time - 2 days!
Here are a few pictures:

Originally Posted by Gary
Hi Scott,
I took your box apart tonight. Here are some pictures before I cleaned and blasted it.
Gary

Here I cleaned the box and then glass beaded them, washed and etched with POR15 Metal Ready. The 1/2 of the rag is all you're going to need. The new rag will be the other half.

Hi Scott,
Here I cleaned up the internal housing. I washed, blasted, rinsed, and used a wire wheel to clean up.

Here are all the new parts going into the box. The teeth are thicker with
the new gears and that will give better contact. The bushings are the ones I use in the std job.
Gary

Here I have the sealant used on the threads, the new gear mesh, and Mobil 1 grease. There is room for the grease to expand above the teeth.

Box is done and will ship today DHL.

Thanks Gary. You're the man!

Note to Mods. Gary is not a supporting vendor and nor should he be. He is just a normal guy like the rest of us that will extend his knowledge and skill to any vette-head in need.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

very nice job
Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nice Job, How Much? PG
Old 08-01-2007, 12:26 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Nice Job, How Much? PG
Here's the e-mail from Gary when we discussed pricing. He's really a great guy to work with. PM for contact info if needed.

Hi Scott,
Lead time is about 2 weeks. Cost depends on how you want it rebuilt. A std rebuild is $175 and Bluepritned box is $275. The Blueprinted boxes have custom fit bushings in them to cut the sideplay down to about .002" along with a POR15 base coat and cast blast top coat finish. This is the best built box on the market.
The big concern is the condition of the gears. If they are still good then I replace the 54 ***** in the worm nut but if they are bad they cost and extra $245 to replace.
Look at the lash screw in the cover. Is it buried in the nut? If so that's not good.

If you want to ship it to me to inspect then let you know what it needs you can.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 08-01-2007, 12:46 AM
wnjlt1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool... looks great. thanks for sharing the pics scott!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good job Scott, and as always, GTR.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That's a very nice piece of work!

Last edited by Paul L; 08-01-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Lee70454
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering box

Gary did mine also and I now have the 1000 miles on the car. Its great!! His work is second to none and his service with follow-up pictueres and project status is unbelieveable. Well worth his price for the quality received. He'll be doing the differential for me.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee70454
Gary did mine also and I now have the 1000 miles on the car. Its great!! His work is second to none and his service with follow-up pictueres and project status is unbelieveable. Well worth his price for the quality received. He'll be doing the differential for me.

I have the pleasure of living about 3 miles from Gary. Brought my steering box to him a few months back and he tore into it while I was there.

Still have yet to leave my two "thank you" strips of rubber in front of his house..
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoeRags

Still have yet to leave my two "thank you" strips of rubber in front of his house..
Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice work!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lee70454
his service with follow-up pictueres and project status is unbelieveable. Well worth his price for the quality received.

I was amazed at the detailed "work order" that was in the box. Details down to the minute.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 AM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Gary did my steering box as well and I got the same service. The pics were a great surprise and they came on an almost daily basis. Awesome work, I can't wait to send him the rear diff.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Box Rebuild. Lots of Pics!!!

Quick Reply: Steering Box Rebuild. Lots of Pics!!!