C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Hinge Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM
vetteflsurfer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Hinge Question

The passenger side door hinge on my 1976 is giving me some trouble. The top hinge bolt seems to have elevated itself a little so it doesnt pass all the way through the bottom of the hinge. So now there is a little play in the door (it drops just a little when I open it). I have tried several methods to remove the bolt and to try to pop it back down in place, to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

you talking about the hinge pin on the top bolt? If so, your probably going to have to take the hings off to fix it. Prop the door up with a box or something from beneith with the door full open and remove the hinge. Get one of the kits from here
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/DR-LOCK.PDF
rebuild the hinge and reinstall
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Are you talking about the hinge bolt or hinge pin? When I replaced my pins, I cut them in half to remove them, otherwise the pin will hit the fender. I installed the top pin from the bottom; for security, I drilled and tapped the end and used a screw with a head slightly bigger than the bushing ID. I really don't think it was necessary but it made me feel better. If your going to replace the pins also replace the bushings.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM
vetteflsurfer
Instructor

I am talking about the top pin on the passenger side, sorry I didnt clarify better.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just rebuilt one door. I unbolted the door from the hinge to relieve the pressure on the hinge. Not from the pillar.Then I had no problen knocking out the pins. Once you get past the knurled part under the head they are loose. Didn't have to cut them. I bought new pins and bushings from one of the supply houses for about $10. I could have used my pins, they were not worn but I bought the rebuild kit anyway as again it is only $10. The bushings were very bad.
You tap in the bushings then the pins go in FROM THE TOP. You have to adjust th door a little to get the right fit but it only took a few minutes.
Brand new hinges! nice and tight.
While I was at it I installed those springs on the hinges that help keep the door open. You dont need the special tool to do it. But read the little diagram as it helps you to understand how they go in.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Were you able to both get the old pin out and put the new pin in while clearing the fender?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have the correct pin it should go in from the top, Some of the generics at the auto parts places the pins are to long.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974ta
Were you able to both get the old pin out and put the new pin in while clearing the fender?

Thanks,

Bill
Yes, just barely but yes. Like I said it was very easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Hinge Question

Quick Reply: Door Hinge Question