C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinhole leak in Edelbrock intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
Buy another one, make the swap, put he bad one in the box and return it for a refund.

-Mark.

I just did that with a bad 6 month old Road Demon carb with Jegs, they have a one year warranty. Just get a new one and switch them out. Jegs wont eat it but edelbrock will. All you will be out is the shipping back.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tim H
See thats that shoddy workmanship of the Edelbrock USA company.
My China made intake at 1/3 of the cost is holding up fine.
CHINA is number 1, CHINA is number 1!!!!!!!!

At screwing America with cheap parts, and yet we buy them like we need to save money for gas in the Hummer HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!
Oh hell what am I going to do with this new set of 15 Pro Comp rocker arms??????????
Lol, thats what I said when I found out my so called 195cc Canfield cylinder heads were 160cc ProComps. You can't blame the Chinese, but you can blame the American Distributors selling them as someone elses product and the engine builders not bothering to double check the product they are shipped. Ok, I am off my soap box now.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sense you are not inclined to take it apart, if the seal up of the bolts did not work why not try some alumaseal (sp?)
Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Silver73SB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been 20 years since I have driven the car other than around the neighborhood with my new motor. I was not comfortable highway driving on the 30 year old Firestone 500's that I never returned for recall in 77-78 (I think). So I get my new tires this weekend and will go the repair route so I can enjoy the car for a month or so. I will have time to take it apart in October if I have to do an internal weld job.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Did you call them? You may be surprised they can help. I agree with the posts... any fix might be temporary. I would hate to be out on the highway and the pin hole turns into a crack... That engine bay is too nice to have HOT coolant everywhere. Yes it will require work to change... but peace of mind might be worth the trouble. I think swapping it out might be the fastest fix too....
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr.Gearhead
Did you call them? You may be surprised they can help. I agree with the posts... any fix might be temporary. I would hate to be out on the highway and the pin hole turns into a crack... That engine bay is too nice to have HOT coolant everywhere. Yes it will require work to change... but peace of mind might be worth the trouble. I think swapping it out might be the fastest fix too....

If you have to take it off to fix it you will have less time in just swapping it out. It really is about a 2-3hr job at most. Last time I switched my intake out I was done in less then 2.5 hrs and let it set and dry for 24 hrs. Next day was out and about.
However the quickest cheapest solution is to just tap out the pin hole about 1/4" and put a bolt in it with HT RTV on it. Then use a dremel and grind it down even with the surface. I would use this as a temporary fix only. You have too nice of a looking engine bay to start doing bubba jobs now.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:22 PM
trainrail
1st Gear

Default Hole in Intake manifold

Hello I'm new to this so give me a chance. I have a Chevy 350 going down the road a blew a hole the size of a dime in the top of my intake manifold it was like hitting a fire hydrant and water blowing in the air. Ok I know I need a new intake now but what caused this so it don't happen again? Any help would be great.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:34 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by trainrail
Hello I'm new to this so give me a chance. I have a Chevy 350 going down the road a blew a hole the size of a dime in the top of my intake manifold it was like hitting a fire hydrant and water blowing in the air. Ok I know I need a new intake now but what caused this so it don't happen again? Any help would be great.
Trainrail, welcome to the Corvette Forum.

I would recommend that you start a new post as this one is 10 years old. Also this time try adding a picture of the intake and hole so we know exactly what you're talking about.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Put in a can of stop leak and call it a day.

It's probably coming from the screws. Pull the screws and clean it, then use thread sealer.

Quick Reply: Pinhole leak in Edelbrock intake manifold