C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm Bushings - Seeking Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 01:11 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Trailing Arm Bushings - Seeking Recommendations

Performed multiple searches on this site and elsewhere as well, but have not found the answers I'm seeking.

The poly bushings that came with my VB&P offset trailing arms disintegrated after only 6-7 years (per prior owner who had them installed). There is literally no bushing left and lots of crumbled material in the trailing arm pocket. Wow, very disappointing, obviously a cheap material. I've read about many others having a similar experience.

I'm looking at Energy Suspensions replacements (3.3191G) but they are poly as well. Most people recommend rubber replacements, and that's what I'm leaning towards.

1. Anyone have personal experience with Energy Suspensions model 3.3191G poly trailing arm bushings? If so, how long have they lasted? Any complaints or issues?
2. For those who replaced theirs with rubber, which brands have proven the most reliable over time?

As I'm sure you can understand, I don't want to do this job a second time

Old 11-07-2021, 02:07 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Some of the various offset arms used a smaller diameter poly bushing, I haven't seen those fail.....yet.

Yours appear to be close to the stock bushing diameter so that is what I would use. You can go to a Johnny joint as well but rubber work the best in the arm.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:14 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkAttack
Performed multiple searches on this site and elsewhere as well, but have not found the answers I'm seeking.

The poly bushings that came with my VB&P offset trailing arms disintegrated after only 6-7 years (per prior owner who had them installed). There is literally no bushing left and lots of crumbled material in the trailing arm pocket. Wow, very disappointing, obviously a cheap material. I've read about many others having a similar experience.

I'm looking at Energy Suspensions replacements (3.3191G) but they are poly as well. Most people recommend rubber replacements, and that's what I'm leaning towards.

1. Anyone have personal experience with Energy Suspensions model 3.3191G poly trailing arm bushings? If so, how long have they lasted? Any complaints or issues?
2. For those who replaced theirs with rubber, which brands have proven the most reliable over time?

As I'm sure you can understand, I don't want to do this job a second time
Here are mine, Installed 2012 , TA Removed 2020

These are prothane brand. (poly), not sure on current units if they are same the same as 2012 units.

My new TA's Ridetech use a "Telfon Bearing" Vansteel offer TA's with Johnny Joints , there may be other options as well.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 11-07-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:12 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,193 Likes on 745 Posts

Rubber. Tried and true.

Far too many horror stories like yours regarding poly.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:25 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

my bushings also disintegrated like that.
took 30 years but I am changing them out.

To make the job easier I am going poly, again.
Shells are in and swapping bushes is easier than removing shells, pressing the new oe rubber shells in and to flare the tube.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:09 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Remember.....if the link bar is rubber then the trailing arm can wiggle....this will destroy the poly bushing up front in short order......
I am not sure what you have....just throwing it out there....
If you are doing anything less than 9/10ths driving...the rubber is the way to go.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 11-08-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm Bushings - Seeking Recommendations

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Bushings - Seeking Recommendations