C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter questions...Changing from "stock" starter to GM High Torque Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter questions...Changing from "stock" starter to GM High Torque Mini

So I knew my starter was on the way out anyhow (i.e. does not start when it gets too hot) but I tried starting it tonight and all it did was smoke! hahahaha

Well, I have the new starter and I wanted to confirm that the wiring is the same on the GM HIgh Torque mini starter ( ) is the same as the "stock" starter on my 73. Based on the manuals I have it appears....

Any other issues? Any tricks? This starter is supposed to work with both 153 or 168 tooth and auto or manual cars.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Big wire goes to the big terminal. Purple wire goes to the small terminal. The yellow wire does not have a place on the mini-starter. It provides 12v to the coil for starting. Either leave it off or add a relay triggered by the purple wire to power it.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
Big wire goes to the big terminal. Purple wire goes to the small terminal. The yellow wire does not have a place on the mini-starter. It provides 12v to the coil for starting. Either leave it off or add a relay triggered by the purple wire to power it.

Does the same apply to a later HEI ignition car? How would the install of a mini starter in place of a stock starter differ between HEI and points?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Be sure you use the shims if you need them. Don't want to have it engage shallow and chew off a tooth from the flywheel. Takes more than 2 bolts to fix that...
Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
Does the same apply to a later HEI ignition car? How would the install of a mini starter in place of a stock starter differ between HEI and points?
HEI car does not have the yellow wire to the coil. On an HEI car you just bolt it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter questions...Changing from "stock" starter to GM High Torque Mini

Quick Reply: Starter questions...Changing from "stock" starter to GM High Torque Mini