C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot remove outside door handle-1980

Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Ditmeion
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cannot remove outside door handle-1980

Well I've followed the write-ups on how to remove the outside handle, but I can't seem to get it out.
The instructions basically say to remove the rod link clip, the 2 nuts on the bottom of the handle and it should come right out....well, it wiggles around in the door(so I know it is loose), but I cannot lift it out.
Is there another clip or something holding it in?
My Hayes manual says I need to pry loose the pivot link clip....I can't seems to see anything like that.
I really don't want to pry against the door with a screwdriver to get it out.
Suggestion?
TIA
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These can be quite tricky. What has worked well in the passed is to bunch up an old shop rag. Use this as a pressure point for your screwdriver. It will require more force than you think. Use a sharp heavy hit on the handle to pop it loose.

lil eddie
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM
wgbsigns
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are they different than a 73? once my door panel is off i can remove handel in 5 minutes. pretty easy
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

You have to release the lock mechanism, and one or two lever/bars going to it, and slide it forward far enough to get those levers outta there....the one from the handle kind of wraps around the backside of the mechanism and won'd come out unless you drop the mechanism off the door frame....you don't have to remove it entirely...

I find it's easier/better to just not bother with the lever to mechanism clip, and when the handle pin is reinstalled, just wrap it with stiff wire to hold it in place....my old original wire wrap was there some 12 years after fixing it up north yet....just recently, which I why I know to write this note....
Old 10-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Ditmeion
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the problem was the hinge pin from the handle slid down and was under the fiberglass lip of the hole....got a screwdriver up in there & managed to push it back some, then handle came right out.

Get notified of new replies

To Cannot remove outside door handle-1980

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannot remove outside door handle-1980