C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed on vacuume can

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed on vacuume can

Ok I need to make up a vacuume can for my BB 69 that will fit in where the old one was on the LH side

I replaced the inner skirt and fender and thought it could go in later but guess not

I pulled the master cylinder and tried to wedge it back in but after a long struggle it got tossed across the shop and then found its way as far back in the woods as I could throw it

So I was looking through a Summitt catalog and seen some catch cans I think I could make work but does anyone know is there a certain size needed or proper amount of air volume required??

Anyone make there own?

I know they sell the ones that look like a coffee can with **** but I think I could come up with something that looks better and lighter.

Any ideas
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not so sure you even need it. The headlights will work off of engine vacuum alone. I disconnected mine from the system in my '77 and everything worked great. I may be way off but I thought the only system the vacuum can was connected to was the headlight and maybe wiper system, and even then it was for using those systems once with the engine off.

Try closing the loop without using the vacuum tank, and see if everything works.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That can is really hard to re-install. I had to unplug the main wiring harness and turn the can several different ways to wiggle it back into position. And this was standing in the engine bay with the fenderwell at eye level! You can probably get by without the resevoir can as long as you turn off your wipers and headlights before shutting off the engine.

Rick B.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You can make your own, but it will have to withstand 20+ in. Hg vacuum. That can cause a lot of sheet metal things to cave-in, and poly plastics (like overflow tanks) wouldn't handle that. A small steel coffee can (those get vacuumed anyway) would probably have enough volume for your needs.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a vacuume can thru summitt last night, ran about $70

I let you all know how it works when I get the car running again

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed on vacuume can

Quick Reply: Help needed on vacuume can