C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's Up with Mustang Drivers??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 08:41 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Default What's Up with Mustang Drivers??????

Here is the scenario:
It is raining, heavy traffic on I35. People are going about 35 to 40 mile per hours. I am not even in my Corvette, I am in my daily driver (a 95 Ford Probe GT) in the center lane of a 3 lane highway. I pass a late model Mustang GT that is in the left lane (here in the Austin area, the left lane is the slow lane, not the passing lane as it is attended to be). There is a semi about 4 car lengths ahead of me and a car about 5 car lenghts in front of him. I merge into the left lane to pass the semi then all of a sudden this jerk is right on my butt. I just keep driving but he is still there. I pass the semi and get back into the center lane and he pulls up beside me and starts the "I want to race" throttle blips. I look at him in amazement, looking around and all the lanes are full and it is raining like cats and dogs (where did cats and dogs come from?). He took off and all I saw was him weaving in and out of traffic "racing" me. My exit came up and I got off the highway from hell. This is my question....what is up with these Mustang Drivers? When I am in my Vett none of these young punk jerks want to "play" but is seems if I am in my Probe or better yet our SUV and pass them they get all racy.
Just Wondering :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
John
Old 11-15-2001, 09:07 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (theandies)

they know where they stand on the food chain... vette is king and camaro is next then chevelle nova... and mustangs down there with the geo (kinda sad that the geo is a GM product isnt it)

ZD
Old 11-15-2001, 09:36 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (ZD75blue)

As you can see in my sig I have a 76 Corvette, my daily driver is a GMC Sonoma but I also have a 96 Cobra SVT conv. that is sort of stock :rolleyes: with the exception of a tubular front and rear suspension and some minor motor and tranny work. It happens to be a real fun car to drive. I love going through the gears on that car. I guess what I am saying here is that the Corvette is the Only American Sports Car but even though I am a GM man grom way back when the Ford Special Vehicals Team has put together quite a package in the Cobra.
Just my .02
JoeB
Old 11-15-2001, 09:40 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (woodworkr)

Most are kids btw the ages of 16 and 25 with too much testosterone and "0" driving skills for the most part... They think they are driving a sports car and try to race everything that gets near them....When one pulls up to me and revs I usually laugh...unless they start talking smack :smash:
Old 11-15-2001, 11:27 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerks are not only in Mustangs... all makes and models apply! If ya realy want a history lesson of useless information... the term "raining cats and dogs" was coined in the middle ages. Straw thatch roofs on houses attracted mice and birds because of the warmth of the homes fires burning within. These mice and birds were a feast to the neighborhood cats, who would climb up there to dine. When it rained... well, cats don't like water so down they fell.... much to the delight of the dogs!! See... useless info, but you asked!! :D :cheers:
Old 11-15-2001, 01:55 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (Silvr77)

Jerks are not only in Mustangs... all makes and models apply! If ya realy want a history lesson of useless information... the term "raining cats and dogs" was coined in the middle ages. Straw thatch roofs on houses attracted mice and birds because of the warmth of the homes fires burning within. These mice and birds were a feast to the neighborhood cats, who would climb up there to dine. When it rained... well, cats don't like water so down they fell.... much to the delight of the dogs!! See... useless info, but you asked!! :D :cheers:
Thanks I'll file that in the back of my brain. I thought it would be something like that but wasn't sure. Now my wife has another thing to kid me about....she says that I know a little about everything and alot about nothing :lol: :lol: I guess these Kids today don't know when to "play" and when not to "play". At least when I was between 16 and 25 I had enough sense to know that you don't try to race in the traffic during a rain shower. Its funny because most major racing circuits stop the race during rain and a lot more people are watching racing then when I was growing up.

woodworkr - I like the SVT Mustangs as well. A friend of mine has a 2001 model. This is his third one. Nice car and fun to drive. The only thing with that engine is the power curve is a little too high on the rpm chart for my taste and not enough torque. They sound great though.
John
Old 11-16-2001, 02:59 AM
Gleese79
Intermediate

his car probably doesnt lose traction, even in the wet :)

as for what he was doing unfortunately we have to share the roads
with these idiots :(

Chris :cheers:
Old 11-16-2001, 08:37 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mustangs are no more guilty of stupid driving then any other car. Today on slick roads in heavy traffic a black C5 went flying past me dodging in and out of traffic.
Jerks come in all models
Old 11-16-2001, 02:10 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's actually way worse when I drive the BOSS 302. It's like people have an inferiority complex, or just need to prove to themselves that they can beat a BOSS! I don't street race (way to many things to run into!), so they're always disappointed, and continue to wonder if they could actually beat it. I actually kind of like that "you'll never know" feeling. :D

Hans
Old 11-16-2001, 02:52 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (Wrencher)

It's Funny but when I'm in My Vette with the lumpy cam and the poly engine mounts and that 427 litterally rocks the car at idle, I never get challanged!

I USED to get challenged all the time with the old worn out 350....
Old 11-16-2001, 04:11 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (427V8)

It's Funny but when I'm in My Vette with the lumpy cam and the poly engine mounts and that 427 litterally rocks the car at idle, I never get challanged!

I USED to get challenged all the time with the old worn out 350....
The funny thing about it is I wasn't even in my Vette at the time (too rainy for my drop top and ZERO traction with 400+ ft Lbs torque). If I was in my Vette I don't waste my gas on any Mustang unless its an older one or a Cobra.....its not a challange
John
Old 11-16-2001, 06:50 PM
RatMat
Advanced

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers??????

Dont trash Mustangs too much because there are a lot of them on the road that will dust C3s, C4s, and some C5s. My Vette is a numbers matching Sunday driver. My 94 Mustang GT is my project hot rod. I don't drive the Vette hard but I will stand on the GT all day long. There are a lot of cheap parts available to make Mustangs go fast. Forget about Mustang drivers......what's up with Minivan Drivers??? Where did they lose their self respect?
Old 11-16-2001, 06:59 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I drive like an a $ $ no matter what I am in, my 2000Rustang GT or my '70 Stingray.

[Modified by Eric 70, 4:59 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 08:17 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (Eric 70)

Eric,

I love that stinger on your hood. Sweet car.
Mick
Old 11-16-2001, 08:25 PM
fastback79
Racer

Can't understand why people buy mustangs made after 1970. Can't understand why anyone would take a mustang over a Camaro or Firebird. And now the Camaro and Firebird are getting cancelled. What dimension am I living in?
Old 11-17-2001, 12:40 AM
79er
Racer

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (Alwyn678)

Fitting in the age group of 16-25 I must admit that there are a lot of as that need to learn how to drive let alone race. Of course when any of you were young you never ever raced on the streets and always followed all traffic laws. :lol: :lol:
Old 11-17-2001, 01:12 AM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (Silvr77)

In my area (North Dallas) the GT driver's are mostly kids my age with parents that dropped a brand new car in their laps. :mad: The V6 drivers are mostly soccer moms that underwent their version of a mid-life crisis. :rolleyes: So, that should for the most part explain why their driving sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To What's Up with Mustang Drivers??????

Old 11-17-2001, 12:27 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (rambler323)

I agree with everyone. Stangs hate me....I wonder why???
:lol:
Old 11-17-2001, 01:41 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers??????

I was going to post this rant ... but may as well just post it here. Why does everyone think they have to pass a Vette? It doesn't matter if you are doing 25 in a neighborhood, or 75 on the Interstate. Some bozo or bozoette has to get on your tail, pass you, then cut in front of you and do 1/2 MPH slower than you are going. It forces you to pass them ... and it all starts over again. :mad :mad :mad
Old 11-17-2001, 02:18 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What's Up with Mustang Drivers?????? (The Wanderer)

I've seen everything you guys said and can relate easily :) But don't judge the car.....it's the driver behind the wheel. There's a guy two blocks north of me with a Viper. He gets downright dangerous on the city streets always launching hard off the lights to show his stuff and with his version of road race type cornering:eek:. When he drives his van, he's as docile as an old lady.

Quick Reply: What's Up with Mustang Drivers??????