C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Doug Maitlen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I am going to flush the radiator on Saturday and I don't know exactly what to do. Could anyone give me some hints? Do I need distilled water or can I use tap water to boil out my stock 79 radiator?
Also, I read another post about the front spoiler. Mine was taken off a few years ago. If I replace it, will I get better performance?
Thank you very much,
Doug
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

1st go down to Chevrolet parts house, ask them for the Prestone Radiator flush and neutralizer that they use back in the shop. Its a single can with flush on one end and neutralizer on the other.
With the Vette cold open radiator petcock drain fluid into suitable container,next locate a hex plug on either side of the block just above the oil pan rails remove those plugs. Youll completely drain the block this way. Next remove heater hoses from intake and h2o pump draining the heater core. flush out with the garden hose. Install plugs & connect hoses and close petcock. Fill with straight water and Prestone flush,follow directions on the can, drain, rinse, repeat.
You can use straight hose water and AF when you refill or if you prefer use distilled water. I use regular tap water as I change coolant every 2-3 years.
** If your car is equipped with a Knock sensor(s) the knock sensor will be where the block drain plugs are
Old 10-20-2007, 12:02 AM
maddmickey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you plan to flush the rad? In the car or out? They make a flush that you use in the car that is quite simple. Also I have heard of people running vinager in the cooling system for up to a week and then flushing with water.

Get notified of new replies

To Help

Quick Reply: Help