C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY frame dimension check...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY frame dimension check...

Have any of you guys put you car up in the air and checked your frame dimensions? I'd like to go through this process and check mine. Any how-to tipsor advice on doing this (lasers, plumb-bobs, water levels?) at home would be appreciated.

Last edited by shafrs3; 10-29-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM
jrotten
Intermediate

there is a tool called a tram gauge, i bought one to build my pro street car.its good for checking squareness. there are actual measurement from the factory for all the holes on the bottom of the frame.i bought mine from an outfit i believe was something like us autobody supply.it was about 150 dollars.I have an old factory corvette manual i'll check and see if there are measurements in it ,i kind of doubt it though
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM
jrotten
Intermediate

it was AutoBodyToolmart.com great site tons of stuff
Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

That's a possibility, I'm thinking about using a plumb-bob to transcribe the frames centerline points to the concrete floor, then use a laser to check them for straightness. If this looks good I can work out from there.

Does anyone know what the tolerances are for the factory frame, like + or - 1/16", if any?
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2007, 08:03 PM
jrotten
Intermediate

they are the measurements for using a tram gauge.like it says you go from the center of the holes, the tram gauge i have has a cone attachment that goes in the hole works really nice.i tried the plum bob string route just didn't get a comfortable feeling with it.If your frames off the car take it to a body shop and have them put it on a rack shouldn't be to expensive.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by shafrs3

Does anyone know what the tolerances are for the factory frame, like + or - 1/16", if any?
I'm interested in the same thing. I've looked at several sources trying to find the build tolerances, but have struck out so far. All I've seen is the nominal dimensions.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I would be more concerned with the side to side vertical dimensions being the same....the weld seams are correct, and the metal is unbent, that the diagonal measurements are the same from similar corners....indicating squareness off the frame....

seeing the wheels are same centerline distance from each other on each side....front to rear....
Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
jrotten
Intermediate

a 1966 chevrolet chassis manual i have says "that when checking for frame alignment in case of damage,the first step is horizontal x checking with a tram from similar given points on opposite side of the frame.frame alignment checks on all models should be made with the tram points set at the centers of each locating points indicated and the cross bar level to insure accuracy.when x checking any section of the frame,the measurements should agree within 3/16".if they do not,it means that corrections will have to be made." hope this is a help
Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jrotten
....If your frames off the car take it to a body shop and have them put it on a rack shouldn't be to expensive...

a 1966 chevrolet chassis manual i have says "that when checking for frame alignment in case of damage,the first step is horizontal x checking with a tram from similar given points on opposite side of the frame.frame alignment checks on all models should be made with the tram points set at the centers of each locating points indicated and the cross bar level to insure accuracy.when x checking any section of the frame,the measurements should agree within 3/16".if they do not,it means that corrections will have to be made." hope this is a help
The frame is on the car and I would if I had a 95% confidence level in the results, but it's like getting back work from the local machine shops, you've got to check and recheck other peoples work.

Yes, the suggestions do help, I'll take all I can get.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY frame dimension check...

Quick Reply: DIY frame dimension check...