C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB antenna mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:31 PM
76yellow
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default CB antenna mount

I've seen C3s with Cb antenna mounts on the frame in the rear. Does anybody know who makes them or where I can get one ?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen one installed on a vette! But if you need CB equipment of any kind, any major truck stop with have a full compliment of supplies.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The factory CB radios used a variant of the stock radio antenna to handle both radio and CB.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:08 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

My car had a CB radio. The antenna was mounted in the gas cap lid area. Now i have a hole in the gas cap lid. I put my radio antenna in that spot for now till it gets painted. then ill get a new one,.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The factory CB radio shares the same radio antenna which has a filter to split the two different frequencies.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
zdave83
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Anybody know how effective the radio/CB combo antenna was compared to a standalone CB antenna? I'd like to put a CB in my '82, but unsure about the combo.

Thanks - Dave
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave83
Anybody know how effective the radio/CB combo antenna was compared to a standalone CB antenna? I'd like to put a CB in my '82, but unsure about the combo.

Thanks - Dave

I was a store manager for radio shack from 77 to 82 right at the height of the cb boom.

all combo antennas are bad for cb's as they are using a receiving antenna for broadcasting. I can't tell you how many radios came back with their 'finals' cooked because of this, but we used to diagnose them as the folks were getting out of their cars.

given the limited metal 'plane' of the corvette, I would recommend getting a full quarter wave whip or fixed fiberglass stick if you really want to use a cb

one thing I remember about this fun little era in my life is that people never looked like their handle or voice. I remember I met this one woman, went by honey bunny. She looked more like a honey glazed ham when I met her.

gawd, I'm gonna be sick all day now.

Last edited by pbcanney; 10-29-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I used a radio/cb antenna very long time back in my car (was a 1990 cherokee) and it was working very good, actually I never felt that it was less than a dedicated cb antenna. it was an aftermarket one, not a GM.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 PM
tjhuyser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
I used a radio/cb antenna very long time back in my car (was a 1990 cherokee) and it was working very good, actually I never felt that it was less than a dedicated cb antenna. it was an aftermarket one, not a GM.
That's because you've never had a good antenna,most likely. PBCanney is right...there are decent combo antennas out there, but only because it is wound a bit differently and compromises between the am/fm Freq.'s of you radio and the AM Freq's of the CB..IMost of the distance you will see is in reception, with enough power you can get out with almost any piece of crap you put on a vehicle..Trust me, you pu a wilson 1000 or 5000 on the roof of you Jeep. Prperly tuned, and you will be amazed how much better reception is. Remember the SWR MUST be properly adjusted!

as for the Corvette, lagain like PB said, ground plane sucks, might as well not even bother..probably get just as good rec/trans from a hand held unit!

Last edited by tjhuyser; 10-29-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: oops this is a CORVETTE forum

Get notified of new replies

To CB antenna mount

Quick Reply: CB antenna mount