C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cork Filler Neck Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:30 AM
VTcivil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cork Filler Neck Seal

Okay guys, I finally got to taking the gas lid off, the filler neck boot and drain line as well as the filler neck. As I thought the cork seal at the filler neck was totally toasted. Well I had bought the cork gasket from Zip along with all new screws but I can't seem to find them.

My thought is, if I can't find them should I order new ones or should I used RTV or silicone in it's place? I will never be seen since the big rubber boot covers it all up. Just thinking out loud here and wondering what you all think..

here is the link to the cork gasket i'm talking about...
http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...A54EA059EC6AF9
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if it were an option, I would try cutting one out myself out of an old rubber inner tube or something similar to try and make a rubber gasket. It would seal good and save you from ordering another one.

I don't think RTV would be a good idea with fear that the fuel vapors would eat the RTV and it may end up in your fuel system.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 PM
VTcivil
Advanced

good thinking... now I just need to find a peice of rubber that would work.

good thinking that the RTV would be an issue. I just read the directions and gas is a no no..
Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 PM
VTcivil
Advanced

I just picked up an assortment of cork, rubber and paper gasket sheets that you can cut to your application.

Now I just need to decide to go with cork or rubber... humm..
Leaning towards cork since that is "stock"
Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VTcivil
I just picked up an assortment of cork, rubber and paper gasket sheets that you can cut to your application.

Now I just need to decide to go with cork or rubber... humm..
Leaning towards cork since that is "stock"

Either should work fine. Cutting out gaskets is easy, and you'll find more and more than you'll make your own gaskets over ordering them if it's a simple application.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 AM
VTcivil
Advanced

I made it out of cork. It worked out nice with a new razor.

I mounted it all up and tightenened down the bolts, and of course one of them seemed to snap. the head didn't come out but since I didn't have any replacements for now I just left it so the rubber gasket around the bolt would still seal that particular hole.

When I bought the new cork gasket from Zip, I ordered all new bolts too since I figured one of those 35 year old ones might snap on reentry .. once I find the ones I ordered I will take it all apart and try to work the broken bolt out from the inside of the filler hole with vice grips. Anyways, if it doesn't leak it will have to wait until I do the full resto in a few years.

Get notified of new replies

To Cork Filler Neck Seal

Quick Reply: Cork Filler Neck Seal