C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
catchme76
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ram Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

I just purchased a ford T5 and im collecting all the necessary parts for an auto to manual swap. I was going to go TO bearing/1 ton truck Slave cylinder/Fork/ and use the 1 ton clutch master cylinder, but I saw a nice hydraulic throwout bearing unit by ram that comes with a new bearing retainer(which i need anyway). The only problem is the 1 ton clutch master cylinder is only 11/16 bore size. The Ram unit requires at least a 3/4 bore size master unit. I know wilwood makes some good clutch master cylinder units. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the hydraulic release bearing kit from Keisler and it is a great kit. You might want to compare the cost of the parts you are planning on buying with the cost of this kit. This makes for a very neat looking install.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
I installed the hydraulic release bearing kit from Keisler and it is a great kit. You might want to compare the cost of the parts you are planning on buying with the cost of this kit. This makes for a very neat looking install.
Thanks Binnie.

Unfortunately, our hydraulic setup will not work on a T5 transmission. I would suggest that catchme76 contact Mcleod or Ram.

The bore size of the master can be "altered" by extending the stroke of the pushrod. In other words, Our hydraulic kit requires a 3/4" bore and a 1.5" pushrod travel. You could go to a smaller bore if you extend the pushrod travel to increase the amount of fluid delivered to the slave. The same can be said of going to a larger bore and DE-creasing the pushrod travel. It would have the same effect.

Richard
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
catchme76
Pro

I may just give the wilwood clutch master a shot.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The correct master cylinder's mounting bracket attaches to the firewall at an angle. That is why the 85 one ton chevy master works so well. If you use someone elses master cyl you may have to fab a bracket so the rod goes to the clutch pedal at the correct angle. Also, if you use an internally mtd slave cyl; if it leaks, you just ruined a clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel. Fabbing a bracket for the slave isn't hard. As for a new bearing retainer, the one on the T5 just needs to be shortened using a cutoff wheel.
Bernie
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
catchme76
Pro

I like the hyd. throwout units. I guess because of my 98 ls1 T/a. If i run across a bellhousing with the bracket I may just swoop it up. I dont know, just depends on what I find. The Wilwood is a good unit. The 85 stuf is cheap though.

Get notified of new replies

To Ram Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing