C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Given up on tremec 5 speed--advice on another idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, if you can't raise the rear of the transmission, could you drop the front? Are thin engine mounts available?

I'd hate to cut the trans tunnel trying to find a solution, only to discover that the problem wasn't solved.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried that..... I managed to get the motor down slightly, but any lower and the steering rod fouls on the sump at full lock.

There is also a limit how far the engine can drop before the harmonic balancer fouls on the cross member, or the fan fouls on the shroud....

My options are:

1/ raise the body by fitting shims at all the body mounts to chassis

2/ cut the underside body work at trans tunnel and firewall so as to raise the trans without fouling on body

3/ change diff angle with tapered shims to provide better driveline angles

4/ making a custom tailshaft with constant velocity joints instead of uni-joints.

5/ or I could just tolerate it and stay clear of 45~50 mph speed zones

I tried solution 5, but a lot of my driving through the winding roads of our Adelaide Hills requires a lot of time in that speed zone.

I need to find some time to tackle solution 3, as it is the easiest/cheapest solution to try.
If that doesn't change the vibration behaviour, then my problem may be elsewhere.

cheers

Last edited by OzzyTom; 07-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

too bad they wont pay the costs... i assume from the helpfullness of the mechanics around that they have tried warranty-ing their work.. if as stated before it gets better when you add gas, and are fully, 3 sounds like the next best idea.
next idea may not be the best... but how about sending it back for a refund and trying a different brand tranny.. at least if there is not someone around that can lend you their driveline. good luck on the diff changes
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I've read a whole bunch of these threads agonizing about getting rid of the Tremac vibration...

Is it possible to say that no one has a vibration problem with the Richmond 5 speed? As far as I know it's a perfectly good transmission and it's a rugged one to boot. Also, it has a side-mounted shifter location and the shifter fits right up into the correct location on the console. It's a direct replacement, although the transmission to crossmember cushion bracket needs to be cut shorter and the mounting holes redrilled. You can install it with a non-removeable crossmember also, but life will be much happier if you modify your crossmember to be removeable. Also, the Richmond 5 speed is not all that expensive.

If you have a Tremac, you probably can't just replace it with a Richmond. The Tremac is an overdrive in 5th gear, the Richmond is 1:1 in 5th gear. (The Richmond is an "underdrive" in first gear). This difference in 5th gear ratios means that a differential used with the Tremac would be numerically too high for the Richmond (and vice versa).
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand Richmond has a 6 speed now, with 6th gear having an OD ratio available from .91 to .52.

http://www.powertrax.com/01sixspeed.html
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGunn
I understand Richmond has a 6 speed now, with 6th gear having an OD ratio available from .91 to .52.

Yes, but the 6th gear (OD) comes at a steep price, almost double to the price of the 5 speed.

I'm not sure if there is a ring and pinion set below 3:08 that will fit in the 3.XX carrier. If there is, that might be an economical alternative to the 6 speed.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina
Yes, but the 6th gear (OD) comes at a steep price, almost double to the price of the 5 speed.

I'm not sure if there is a ring and pinion set below 3:08 that will fit in the 3.XX carrier. If there is, that might be an economical alternative to the 6 speed.

2.73:1. I have a ring and pinion set, but I've never installed it. I bought it to replace a 3.08:1, I bought it from a Chevy dealer. I believe the catalog indicated it would fit. Also, Tom's sells the 2.73 along with the other gear sets for series 3 carriers.

As for the other comments about the Richmond 6 speed. The gear shift lever needs to be modified slightly to fit the standard shift console. I've read posts where people where happy with the six speed. I have a Richmond 5 speed slated for my 70 BB. I'm planning on running power from a 502 through it. Seems like the 5 speed vendors that use Tremac's would be just as happy to sell you a Richmond!

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 07-09-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGunn

I have a ROD 6 with a .76 OD. I'm running 1650 rpm at 65mph. It's smooth, no vibration at all at any speed, and it shifts great. The Long shifter is probably the best aftermarket shifter out there. I use the OD any time I reach highway speeds and no need to downshift unless I reach a fairly steep hill. If I ever have the need to buy another aftermarket transmission, it will be a richmond. You get what you pay for.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
ccs96
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Originally Posted by gavanm01
Have posted on and off for 19 months on vibration problem with tremec 5 speed. Everythingfrom the driveshaft to new tires (and all the stuff between those components) has been replaced, rebalanced and reblessed by the local parish priest. The rythmic humming at 68 mph and higher and vibration in various parts of the body/steering wheel have been tended to by three good shops. The typical fix will last 100 to 200 miles and then return. Even made it to 130 mph with the latest solution of a 3 inch driveshaft only to have the problem resurface again. I give up; costs too much money to make this work. Want to put the old muncie back in but was thinking of something instead of the 3:08 in the rear end. Someone suggested a 2:73 but sounds too much for taking off in first. Looking for other ideas out there so fourth speed doesn't burn up the engine or gas. Help!
Did you get it resolved or go back with the Muncie?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Well I had the same problem as I posted earlier in this thread.... Keisler has been more than helpful. However I did pull the Tremec and put the Muncie back in and the vibration disappeared. I had some work completed by Keisler on the Tremec and hope to load it back in shortly. I think before I do the deed again I will replace the body mounts to insure that I can raise the tranny as needed.

Dave
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyTom
Tried that..... I managed to get the motor down slightly, but any lower and the steering rod fouls on the sump at full lock.

There is also a limit how far the engine can drop before the harmonic balancer fouls on the cross member, or the fan fouls on the shroud....

My options are:

1/ raise the body by fitting shims at all the body mounts to chassis

2/ cut the underside body work at trans tunnel and firewall so as to raise the trans without fouling on body

3/ change diff angle with tapered shims to provide better driveline angles

4/ making a custom tailshaft with constant velocity joints instead of uni-joints.

5/ or I could just tolerate it and stay clear of 45~50 mph speed zones

I tried solution 5, but a lot of my driving through the winding roads of our Adelaide Hills requires a lot of time in that speed zone.

I need to find some time to tackle solution 3, as it is the easiest/cheapest solution to try.
If that doesn't change the vibration behaviour, then my problem may be elsewhere.

cheers
Tom
Don't be afraid to try your option 4, which is to make a CV driveshaft, any driveshaft shop is more than capable of doing this, it will solve any alignment issues.
Just thinking out of the square, my Vette had a harmonic at 90kph, which turned out to be worn outer axle bearings - just saying this because I had similar frustrations as you with a '57 chev years ago which had a 3" 1350 type driveshaft that I had made for when i drag raced it. It had a 100kph harmonic, which was real annoying. This one turned out to be the driveshaft tube had been fitted with no sound deadening cardboard tube, so it was literally ringing like a bell. Solved it by cutting a yoke off, and fitting a cardboard tube.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said previously.... I'll try solution 3 as it is simplest and cheapest.
If driveline angles is causing my problem, I should get some change in the characteristic of the vibration.... it will either shift in intensity or shift in speed at which it occurs. If I do NOT get a change, then driveline angles could be excluded from my potential cause list.

If the vibration issue improves, but is still not satisfactory due to physical limitations of diff angle changes, then the CV jointed tailshaft would be an option.

I am not criticising Tremec or CC5S as yet, as I have NOT completely eliminated all potential issues with my installation.

The box itself is awesome.
The gear change is crisp and quiet and clean.
The clutch setup is awesome.... not heavy, yet provides good grip.

Fitting the 5sp in place of the TH400 auto has changed the character of my vette completely... and of course, having a few more neddies has helped too

I haven't lost hope yet.... just need time to do some more wrenching.
cheers
tom
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried the CV joint at the front of the drive shaft and that did not work for me either. The thing that I do know that I could put my Muncie back in and everything was smooth as glass. Then I put a T5 in and things are still smooth as glass 20000 miles later.

Jeff
Old 07-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gavanm01
Rich,
It's Gary back again; the guy who originally started this thread and whom you've been graciously helping over the many months of chasing the vibration demon. Today we got the transmission down 2.75 and the rear end up 2.75. Vibration still there above 88 to 90. Don't feel it in 4th gear. Don't feel it going down hill with the clutch in, so don't think it's in the wheels/tires. Still think it's in the rotating assembly somewhere between the transmission to the last U joint in the halfshaft.
Am wondering how you take measurements for the horizontal alignment when one doesn't have the original angles before removing the original transmission and driveshaft. That's the next step, we figure. Also wondering how your tranny dyno can find vibration in the transmission any differently than me just taking the driveshaft out and running the engine in place up to the speed the vibration starts as was earlier suggested in this thread.
Looking forward to hearing from you, as it seems, a lot of others as well. Anytime a thread gets 1400 views and over 60 replies you know you're on to something...
This thread is so long that I may of missed something about when you disengaged the clutch going downhill. Did you rev the engine back up to the matching RPM for the speed you were traveling? If the vibration returned then most likely your problem is from the pressure plate forward or possibly a badly aligned bellhousing. I understand that being under load may influence the drivetrain but I think it would of been noticed in any test runs.

Next, I do not know if the vendors build any correction factor into the crossmember adapters but if not and your crankshaft angle was exactly
the same before and after the swap, there would most likely be a slight change in any driveshaft angle you had. Whether or not this would be enough to make a difference... I don't know.

Last edited by Red 71; 07-12-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Given up on tremec 5 speed--advice on another idea