C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centre of gravity on '76 body with radiator, headlights and seats fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Centre of gravity on '76 body with radiator, headlights and seats fitted?

I'll soon be lifting the body off my '76.

The bumpers are removed
The radiator and support (+shroud) are still in the body
The headlights are in the front
The seats are fitted
The battery is out

I've seen people lifting a bare body with a hoist centred over the cockpit, but the extra weight of the rad + headlights in the front of mine will probably have an effect.

The question is, how much of an effect? Where do you reckon I should hang the hoist?

I don't know how heavy the body will be, but I'm guessing the hoist will be over the windshield. Any thoughts?

(Before anybody asks, I'll be building a wooden frame to support the full length of the body under the rocker channels and rad frame, and then lifting that so the front won't be stressed. )
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not that critical. Just have a few buddies there to help balance it out. Here's what I did.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...h/DSC01345.jpg
Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the radiator is in front you will want a nose strap for sure. You can run it from the core support if that's the easiest place.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenUK
(Before anybody asks, I'll be building a wooden frame to support the full length of the body under the rocker channels and rad frame, and then lifting that so the front won't be stressed. )
I read this and your previous thread, yet can't quite grasp your procedure as described...

To raise the body, all you need to do is separate from the frame, strap onto the body (and run an additional strap to the rad support to relieve pressure on the nose section), raise body, roll out frame, place the dolly under the body and lower the body onto your homemade body dolly. Have I misunderstood what you stated, or is this the procedure you will carry out?

Double check that the seat belt bolts are removed from the frame crossmember.

I lifted the body off, much as yours is described with the exception that I had removed doors and seats. My CofG was maybe eight inches to a foot behind the center of the windshield. If your doors are still in place you may be slightly forward of this line. Go slowly and you will not have any problems.

Try to secure the nose of the car to the windshield area or over the windshield to inside of the cockpit. Doing this as opposed to securing to the lift point will ease your task as you only have to secure the nose section to the vehicle once.

I have seen numerous photos of people lifting the body with the nose section secured to the lift point, which if not properly balanced would put stress on the front end bonding.

Slow is the correct speed for this job..
Old 01-13-2008, 12:18 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry - I can see why my first post was confusing. The project is so familiar to me that I forgot nobody else knows what I'm doing.

I've already separated the body from the chassis a few inches:

I was hoping to jack the body upwards and pull the chassis out, but my plan has failed so I've got to do what I should have done originally: hire a hoist and lift the body the 'normal' way.

However, because there's already a gap between the body and the chassis, I can fit long wooden beams under the rocker channels extended forwards under the nose with a cross-piece to support it while I lift it. I can wrap my lifting straps right around the body and beams and lift it clear - I don't need to use an extra strap under the nose.

Once the chassis is out I'll lower the body and rest the beams on a dolly frame. It's important to me that the long beams stay under the body throughout the time it's off the chassis - I'm paranoid about the weakness of the front.

There are three reasons why I did it this way:
1. My car has fresh paint and I wanted to avoid touching the bodywork with lifting straps if possible
2. I'm working alone
3. I don't know what the hell I'm doing
Old 01-13-2008, 12:30 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks as if you have it under control!

Proceed with caution.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:22 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like and sounds like you should be able to do it that way.Just be carefull for yourself and that front end.I also did mine myself.I lifted the body off from the frame by jacking the body off.Takes alot of time.Always support that nose.Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Centre of gravity on '76 body with radiator, headlights and seats fitted?

Quick Reply: Centre of gravity on '76 body with radiator, headlights and seats fitted?