C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of backfire. and smoking from....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:14 PM
ngroat7007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of backfire. and smoking from....

ive been getting a lot of backfire and power loss... and stall outs. changed the plugs but now i seem to be having smoke coming out of this area... is it a vacuum line?

edit: now after taking the cover off i see im getting huge backfire from the left injector
i know the suggestions are go to crossfire forums and i will do but i just like it here oh so much

Last edited by ngroat7007; 09-17-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks like the air injection part of your header is broken at the threads.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

In the photo, just "above" the master cylinder, is that a flash of fire? If it is - thats not a backfire - it's just normal fire coming out of the manifold because theres a hole in it. Is it really, freaking, loud? I think it's what DWncchs said.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 PM
ngroat7007
Racer

Originally Posted by SH-60B
In the photo, just "above" the master cylinder, is that a flash of fire? If it is - thats not a backfire - it's just normal fire coming out of the manifold because theres a hole in it. Is it really, freaking, loud? I think it's what DWncchs said.
hahaha no thats the sun
its where that hose is conected just in front of the valve cover that is smoking

but the injectors are where the big problem is
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 PM
ngroat7007
Racer

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Looks like the air injection part of your header is broken at the threads.
umm what am i missing.... haha i never knew what should be there
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by ngroat7007
umm what am i missing.... haha i never knew what should be there
Not sure if we are looking at the same thing in the pic. What I'm looking at in the pic is where the check valve connects to the exhaust manifold or header.The rubber hose is connected to the check valve and the check valve threads on to the small tubes that connect to the header.It appears as if the break is in between the 2 large hex nuts(wrench size maybe 1" and 7/8").
The large hole below the check valve about 1 3/4" diameter is for the flexible hot air tube going to the air cleaner.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM
ngroat7007
Racer

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Not sure if we are looking at the same thing in the pic. What I'm looking at in the pic is where the check valve connects to the exhaust manifold or header.The rubber hose is connected to the check valve and the check valve threads on to the small tubes that connect to the header.It appears as if the break is in between the 2 large hex nuts(wrench size maybe 1" and 7/8").
The large hole below the check valve about 1 3/4" diameter is for the flexible hot air tube going to the air cleaner.

ok so here we go just to clarify. Red circle is where it is believed to have a crack am i right?
Blue is where a hose should be? Nothing was ever there before.... i always wondered what was going on

Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Correct
Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
ngroat7007
Racer

now is this a vaccuum line? and what hose do i need for the exhause manifold? sorry to be a pain fist vette and just need to learn everything...
ill need to do a search on willcox

and think this can cause the backfire?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by ngroat7007
now is this a vaccuum line? and what hose do i need for the exhause manifold? sorry to be a pain fist vette and just need to learn everything...
ill need to do a search on willcox

and think this can cause the backfire?
The red circled spot is part of the A.I.R. The AIR pump injects air into the exhaust and helps clean up the exhaust.You can have the break welded but you will have to remove it from the car.I've seen some guys cut the fitting off and use a compression fitting to make the repair.Some guys just remove the AIR but that depends on what your doing with the car and if you have to have the car pass emission testing.
Sorry I'm not getting back faster we still have no power after Ike blew through.

Get notified of new replies

To lots of backfire. and smoking from....

Quick Reply: lots of backfire. and smoking from....