C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place for an in-line fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Best place for an in-line fuel filter?

I want to get rid of the filter between the pump and carb, but I can't figure out the best place to put an in-line filter. What have you guys done? Mine is a '68 vert.
Thanks.

Last edited by sperkins; 01-27-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 PM
murraybs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've got soft hoses anywhere under the car, put it in under there. The engine compartment's the last place you'd want to put a fuel filter unless it was securely bracketed to something so that the lines don't pull out of it or the glass/plastic doesn't hit anything hard and crack.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Jc3vette
Instructor

You don not want to put a filter on the suction side of the fuel pump.
A inline fuel filter between the pump and the carburetor is where it needs to be placed.
Try an advance search for fuel filter in the tech forum check the archive box at the bottom you will find a lot of good ideals there. Do not put a glass one with rubber hoses. Use hard line all the way.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
murraybs
Racer

Originally Posted by Jc3vette
You don not want to put a filter on the suction side of the fuel pump.
Any particular reason? I've been doing it on hi-po VWs for years with no trouble.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The proper location of the fuel filter is just before the carb, this ensures clean fuel to the carb. Any other configuration does not provide the intended protection.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thats correct, between the carb and pump is probaly the logical best place. But not me, I put a good Fram filter in the rear back at the tank in the existing factory rubber line. I didn`t want it in the engine compartment for cosmedic reasons as they stand out like a sore thumb. Also the reason for this post wanting to know what others did about the damn thing. My solution, "Out of sight out of mind". I`ll drink to that.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Did I mis-read the question/title of this thread?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM

Between pump and carb, don't use one of those ugly plastic ones.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyman
The proper location of the fuel filter is just before the carb, this ensures clean fuel to the carb. Any other configuration does not provide the intended protection.
I think that's an old wives' tale. If that were the case, new cars would not be using in-line filters. The only reason I can think of that could possibly support that theory is if the diaphram in the pump starts to come apart.

1. I can't run a hard line from my mechanical pump to the carb due to my setup.

2. I'm not interested in one of those "filter in the fuel line" parts that connects to the carb.

3. I'd rather tow it home with a clogged carb than have it burn to the ground.

Anyone have any pictures of their in-line filter install?
Thanks again guys.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sperkins
The only reason I can think of that could possibly support that theory is if the diaphram in the pump starts to come apart.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I always ran a plastic see-through GF-538 filter in an easy to get to place between the pump and the carb in the old days. Lately I run the stock in-carb filters and hard lines all the way.

Anyone want to about glass filters again?

-Mark.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
nw2571
Instructor

I think that's an old wives' tale. If that were the case, new cars would not be using in-line filters. The only reason I can think of that could possibly support that theory is if the diaphram in the pump starts to come apart.
New cars typically have in-tank electric pumps. So the filter is still the last thing before the fuel rail other than lines.

1. I can't run a hard line from my mechanical pump to the carb due to my setup.
2. I'm not interested in one of those "filter in the fuel line" parts that connects to the carb.
Lars has a paper on making custom lines... Check out this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=lines

I think the key for you is to find some place down low AFTER the pump where you can't really see the filter. Just keep it away from your headers.

3. I'd rather tow it home with a clogged carb than have it burn to the ground.
Hard lines, metal filter can. That's the answer!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Thats correct, between the carb and pump is probaly the logical best place. But not me, I put a good Fram filter in the rear back at the tank in the existing factory rubber line. I didn`t want it in the engine compartment for cosmedic reasons as they stand out like a sore thumb. Also the reason for this post wanting to know what others did about the damn thing. My solution, "Out of sight out of mind". I`ll drink to that.
Same here, I run a large canister filter below the tank(no in tank sock)with a small billet type inline filter between the mech pump and carbs and have no fuel delivery problems on a blown smallblock
Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 AM
donnd
Racer

My inline filter is near the gas tank under the car, it is a little hard to inspect. My reasoning is I prefer to filter any contaminants as early in the fuel system as possible.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

If you're running a stock-type engine-mounted mechanical diaphragm pump, you do not want a filter anywhere on the suction side of the pump - the filter needs to be between the pump and the carb. For 2 reasons:

1. Diaphragm pumps are not positive displacement, and they do not "suck" well. Any filter restriction on the suction side will cause a dramatic drop in fuel pressure and flow.

2. Modern pump gas typically has ethanol added to it. The vapor pressure of ethanol is higher than straight gas, so the ethanol has a tendency to vaporize - especially when you lower the pressure on it. When you install a suction side filter, you pull a lower pressure on the fuel in the feed line to the pump, and the fuel has a tendancy to vaporize in the line between the pump and the tank (vapor lock), especially on hot days or when driving up steep hills or when fuel flow demand is high (WOT).

It is for these reasons that the auto manufacturers never installed filters on the suction side of the mechanical pumps - they are always on the pressure side. It would be very easy, and cost-efficient, for the manufacturers to install an in-line filter somewhere between the tank and the pump, yet none of them ever did: Ford, GM and Chrysler always installed the filter on the pressure side of the system... maybe there was a reason for this...

Moderns cars have the filters in the fuel feed line because they have electric pumps in the tank - the filters are still on the pressure side of the system - never on the suction side.

Although a suction side filter may work on many occasions, I can also tell you that I have seen a ton of problems caused by this - I have removed dozens of suction side filters to solve fuel delivery and drivability problems over the years.

Here is a filter installation on my latest engine build - tucked up underneath the alternator bracket to get it out of sight - nothing wrong with running the filter betwen the pump and the carb - you need it there with a mechanical pump:
Name:  1-20-08Leftfront.jpg
Views: 7371
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  1-20-08RightFront.jpg
Views: 11155
Size:  113.1 KB

Last edited by lars; 01-27-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by lars
If you're running a stock-type engine-mounted mechanical diaphragm pump, you do not want a filter anywhere on the suction side of the pump - the filter needs to be between the pump and the carb. For 2 reasons:

1. Diaphragm pumps are not positive displacement, and they do not "suck" well. Any filter restriction on the suction side will cause a dramatic drop in fuel pressure and flow.

2. Modern pump gas typically has ethanol added to it. The vapor pressure of ethanol is higher than straight gas, so the ethanol has a tendency to vaporize - especially when you lower the pressure on it. When you install a suction side filter, you pull a lower pressure on the fuel in the feed line to the pump, and the fuel has a tendancy to vaporize in the line between the pump and the tank (vapor lock), especially on hot days or when driving up steep hills or when fuel flow demand is high (WOT).

It is for these reasons that the auto manufacturers never installed filters on the suction side of the mechanical pumps - they are always on the pressure side.

Moderns cars have the filters in the fuel feed line because they have electric pumps in the tank - the filters are still on the pressure side of the system - never on the suction side.

Although a suction side filter may work on most occasions, I can also tell you that I have seen a ton of problems caused by this - I have removed dozens of suction side filters to solve fuel delivery and drivability problems over the years.

Here is a filter installation on my latest engine build - tucked up underneath the alternator bracket to get it out of sight - nothing wrong with running the filter betwen the pump and the carb - you need it there with a mechanical pump:

Looks great, Lars!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 82. The in line filter is on the passenger side frame. If you were sitting in the passenger seat of the car it would be located right below your right foot under the floorpan. The filter would be available from almost any auto parts store and attaches with small pieces of fuel line hose. Make it easy.
Good Luck
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Best place for an in-line fuel filter?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Your '82 is fuel injected ("Crossfire" throttle body injection) with the fuel pump in the tank, so your filter is on the pressure side of the system as noted in my previous post. If the system is stock, the filter is not attached with hose - it has steel screw-in connections with rubber O-rings on the fittings - same fitting style as used on air conditioning tube connections..

Last edited by lars; 01-28-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I have a 68 also. I don't have a rear sway bar, but the frames are all ready drilled with welded in nuts. So I made a bracket out of thick aluminum sheeting. The bracket has a "L" cross section and with bolted to the frame using the unused sway bar attach points. I mounted an Aeromotive Street and Strip electric fuel pump and large Aeromotive cartridge fuel filter on this bracket. Ran metal lines from the fuel tank output to the pump and a metal line back to the stock fuel line to the engine.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

I will get shunned for this but I have a high flow Mallory fuel filter (looks like an oil filter) mounted right outside the tank on my 68 on the suction side. Right before the fuel filter is a fuel cutoff valve for security/safety reasons and for ease of changing the fuel filter. I am running a RacePump mechanical fuel pump on the 509 which pumps into a Russel high flow inline solid fuel filter then into the regulator then the carb.
I have had no problems with this setup at all.
And the fuel cutoff valve works great, engine dies after 40 seconds...ask me how I know.

Not the best pics....
mock up...
Name:  DSCF0132-1.jpg
Views: 7719
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0244.jpg
Views: 8279
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0115-1.jpg
Views: 10660
Size:  113.5 KB
I have since replaced that crapy gauge.

Last edited by 68 NJConv 454; 01-28-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Best place for an in-line fuel filter?