C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good 15 inch tire option

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:53 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I am going to jump back in here. The difference in braking between a "good tire" and a pos t/a radial type tire is significant to say the least. This is saying nothing about the differences in construction between a typical s or t rated tire and h or above. Hopefully it is never needed but you would notice the difference.

S and T rated tires have no cap ply over the belts whereas h usually has a full cap. V rated and up usually have 2 caps. Which categories do you think have most tire failures? And which categories do you think have next to none?

Lionelhutz was trying to give you some good information, and a little searching and you can learn a lot about tires. You may be right that most don't need anymore than the crappy s and t rated tires, but some of us use our cars in a way to see a difference. A higher speed rated tire is safer in ALL circumstances, and at any speed. If you were to drive on 3 identical tires with the only variable being speed rating, you would feel the difference immediately. In handling and braking.

But, WHATEVER, sounds like you already got it all figured out.

Hey Bill......
Looks like the hornet's nest got whacked a few times since you started this thread years ago........LOL

Hope LI is treating you well.

How's the C3 coming?
Get the Ride-tech stuff yet?

Let's see those pics of the rear suspension you drove up there on......

Dennis
Old 05-18-2016, 06:43 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

PS: to jb78L-82 if you are not a tire salesman you should be as you surely make a convincing argument why we should upgrade. LOL!
Pete.

That is funny....I have been in sales my whole work career and currently the Director of Sales for the eastern US for a medical device company...at least I know I still have the stuff...LOL

Seriously....great tires though are no joke regardless of the vintage of the car.....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-18-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Embarrassed

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Yes, better traction, lower sidewall heights and a stiffer carcass do nothing to improve braking or car stability during fast steering maneuvers.

The disk brakes and big swaybars I put on my Impala also did nothing to improve the car's braking and stability either.

For me, it is not about trying to be a "race boy" or any other BS you keep posting. It's about improving my older cars so they at least have a fighting chance against the capabilities of the cars of today.

EVERYONE on the road should be capable of handle their car at it's limits in an emergency situation.

Also, I didn't post about improving 60's era Corvettes with disk brakes and bigger swaybars, I posted 60's era cars, most of which came with drum brakes and only small front swaybars. Maybe you should learn to read?
Yes you are right, I need to learn to read. I am so embarrassed and ashamed of myself, I am such a loser and a complete fool. Someday maybe I will grow up and be more wise. But till then, I will hide in shame now that you have exposed the truth.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-18-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
And yet there are times when people - **** or not - post questions and invariable someone asks did you do a forum search. So you do a forum search, post a statement or ask a question on something that wasn't made clear, and then you get blasted for bringing up an old post. Can't win for loosing.

Right you are Andy........

Some people need to stop dumping on others where it is a question of personal taste. Now if it is a serious safety issue, then go ahead and challenge it.
Otherwise, people need to lighten up a little.
If I wanted personal animosity posts, I'd go back to PRC where I used to hang out a lot.
I came here to share and LEARN.

Peace
Bman (Dennis)
The following users liked this post:
C3s4me (05-21-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:48 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I just bought new BFGs for the Rallye wheels on my '71. My wife and I are driving from Seattle to Napa in August and the old tires were almost ten years old. I looked at 18" wheels, but it's so hard to find something I like with the right backspacing. I think after this driving season, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a 3-piece custom wheel, which seem to start at about $1,500 per corner for the ones that I like. One side benefit, though, it that they are really light and will reduce unsprung weight by a lot.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:43 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Hey Bill......
Looks like the hornet's nest got whacked a few times since you started this thread years ago........LOL

Hope LI is treating you well.

How's the C3 coming?
Get the Ride-tech stuff yet?

Let's see those pics of the rear suspension you drove up there on......

Dennis
Hey Dennis, all good up here except the weather lol. No Ridetech stuff yet but shouldn't be long now. Then we will unveil the Bman version of Corvette rear suspension and your special wooden trailing arms.
Car is still sitting patiently in the trailer.
bmans vette (05-19-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:57 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Hey Dennis, all good up here except the weather lol. No Ridetech stuff yet but shouldn't be long now. Then we will unveil the Bman version of Corvette rear suspension and your special wooden trailing arms.
Car is still sitting patiently in the trailer.
Wow!
Still no Ride-tech stuff.......how many months has that been?
As to the weather....I see that is has been rainy and chilly. You could have stayed another month in GA.
Keep me posted on the custom rear end stuff.
I am ready to pull the body off the frame now that my outside shop is done.
I think I'll do a project thread on it.
Take care, Bill.

Dennis

Last edited by bmans vette; 05-20-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to recall this thread.
I´m looking for the best 15" rain tires.
In Germany we are only allowed to dirve 15" or 16" rims on vintage cars, so bigger size is no option.

Had BF Goodrich radial and Mickey Thompson Sportsman in the past.
Both are good enough in dry conditons, but they are really BS on wet roads.
So where to go? I need 255 front and 295 rear btw.
Someone told me that the Hoosier Quick Time would be better than the Mickey Thompson. But I reat, that the Hoosier has DOT, but isn´t made for street use.

Any experiences?

After a lot of search and comparison, I came to the Nankang Utility SP-7. Available in 295/50 and 255/60 R15
China tires were always a no-go for me, but it got good reviews concerning the grip in dry and wet.
It´s a loud tyre, but thats really no issue on my C3

Last edited by zuendler; 06-14-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Primoz (06-16-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 AM
fede
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking to available tires in Spain / EU for quite some time. Options are rather limited.
There are a few SUV/van tires like the Nankang Utility you mention or Bridgestone Dueler but I'm not sure a generic 4x4 tire is a good option.

The only 2 that I'm considering for now are the Cooper Cobra and the General Grabber HP (this is a SUV performance tire, H-rated).

Do you have a side picture of your car with 255-295? I have 255/60 all around but also thought about changing the rears for 295/50...
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

i´m looking for the best 15" rain tires.
rain?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 AM
zuendler
Pro

Originally Posted by fede
Do you have a side picture of your car with 255-295? I have 255/60 all around but also thought about changing the rears for 295/50...
My C3 has flares at all 4 corners, 4" on the rear, thats a lot.
You will never get a 295 tyre into the stock wheel well.
275 is possible with off set trailingarms and bigger back space of the wheels.

I asked for rain because that´s where all the white letter tires have their weakness.
I know the Cooper Cobra from a friend and this tyre is worse than the Goodrich in dry conditions, so I wouldn´t even give it a try.

The General Grabber is a real off road tyre. The white letters scream "put me on a Jeep!" I don´t want to have that look on a sports car.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 AM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Best 15" tire option

The post is titled " Best 15" tire option". 8 years and 3 pages into this thread and there is no definitive answer. Is there any site where I can find wet and dry tire coefficients of friction, Tire tread life, flex characteristics, ride quality, etc? I would like to run 15" for appearance. I am painfully aware of what I am giving up for those looks. I am also aware that my big block can break every driveline component from the clutch to the tires and the tires are the weak link protecting everything.

PS if anyone thinks I cannot live without 17 or 18" tires, my birthday is August 11. LOL

Last edited by 2mnyvets; 06-15-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I don't know what the "best" 15" tires are. My limited experiences so far (all 255/60-R15 on two separate Vettes):

15 year old Goodyear Eagle GT II - Terrible even when dry and warm. Hard as a rock. Not available anymore.

3 year old Cooper Cobra - UTQG 440 A B, Passable, but not great. No fun in the rain, but a lot of that may have been alignment related.

Brand new BFG Radial T/A - UTQG 400 A B, Notably better than the Cooper Cobras (some of which may have been alignment related) Fine in dry conditions (L-48 auto CANNOT do burnouts on dry pavement). Still dodgy in the rain, but who drives a C3 in the rain?

So, BFG Radial T/A? Not the "best", but they have the best appearance of the RWL tires outside of expensive repros, and they perform well enough. 400 tire wear rating vs 440 for the Coopers is noticable IRL. None of these should be run much over 100 mph.

I'd consider Mickey Thompson blackwall options if I were serious about driving on 15s, but they may be even worse in the rain.

Cue the litany of responses telling us how wrong we are for not having 18" wheels on our 40-year-old cars!

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.
2mnyvets (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:34 PM
zuendler
Pro

I had the the Mickey Thompson after the Goodrichs.
The MTs are a bit better on dry road, a bit softer ride. The Goodrichs feel hard on small bumps in my opinion. In the rain both are similar bad.

I do real journeys around europe with my C3. If you are on a 2 week trip you can´t avoid getting into rain.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Um... as far as bigger diameter rims providing better handling... then why does F1 use 13" rims for 26" tires, and Indy Car use 15" rims for 26" tires on the front and 28" tires on the back?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by zuendler
My C3 has flares at all 4 corners, 4" on the rear, thats a lot.
You will never get a 295 tyre into the stock wheel well.
275 is possible with off set trailingarms and bigger back space of the wheels.

I asked for rain because that´s where all the white letter tires have their weakness.
I know the Cooper Cobra from a friend and this tyre is worse than the Goodrich in dry conditions, so I wouldn´t even give it a try.

The General Grabber is a real off road tyre. The white letters scream "put me on a Jeep!" I don´t want to have that look on a sports car.

It's tough to find anything that performs decently and fits 15" rims. There was a thread here a while back showing a V rated Chinese tire. It should be a decent tire to get the speed rating but then who can say when there are no reviews. The Avon CR6ZZ is well likely by the Cobra kit car crowd and some others. Not sure if either would be available in the sizes you want.

The Grabbers will be very heavy compared to a car tire which really hurts the acceleration and braking. Likely rather loud compared to a tire with a more suitable tread too.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
... The Avon CR6ZZ is well likely by the Cobra kit car crowd and some others. Not sure if either would be available in the sizes you want...
I was thinking about the Avon CR6ZZ tires too. The closest combination to what you want is 245/60R15 + 295/50R15.
The webpage says "They are an all-weather tyre..."

Get notified of new replies

To A good 15 inch tire option

Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by RBrid
I was thinking about the Avon CR6ZZ tires too. The closest combination to what you want is 245/60R15 + 295/50R15.
The webpage says "They are an all-weather tyre..."
They also have a 275-55-15 which is the correct 27 inch diameter. These are all correct for our cars. Expensive, but probably the best performing D.O.T. legal 15 inch tire. They may not last as long as the s and t rated tires, but a lot of vintage racers race on these tires and they are a high quality constructed tire. Gotta pay to play though!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

FWIW..... I have driven my car in the rain more times then I care to count, and on 245/275 15"BFG Radial TAs, I've never had any kind of issue....traction, hydro plane etc etc...nothing. They drive fine in the rain.. Mine are relatively new though and I replace them every 5 years, regardless of miles... Now I just drive completely normal in rain, I don't try to haul *** around turns or anything...Not sure what you are looking for in rain performance but....BFGs work fine for me.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:10 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Um... as far as bigger diameter rims providing better handling... then why does F1 use 13" rims for 26" tires, and Indy Car use 15" rims for 26" tires on the front and 28" tires on the back?

Do you use tires from either series on your street car?

When better quality high performance STREET tires are only available in larger rim diameters then then using larger rim sizes can result in better handling.

Quick Reply: A good 15 inch tire option