C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel DFI Gen VII installation – A few Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
karstenhorn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel DFI Gen VII installation – A few Qs

Hello

I am about to start my DFI installation and I was wondering where you guys do place the ECU and how do you route the main harness into the cabin? I guess it will be a lot easier to route all the wires before the new engine goes into the car again.

Thanks and greetings from Denmark

Regards
Karsten
Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

I mounted the ECU behind the map pocket right hand lower dash. and routed the main part of the harness behind the the defrost air duct to the large existing hole on the driver side firewall just left of the engine. Some of the wiring used for fuel pump, knock sensor, and grounds were routed out the passenger firewall above the carpet line. I started with the un-terminated harness and custom built and routed it to minimize unsightly bundles.

Bullshark
Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 AM
karstenhorn
Advanced

Thanks a lot for the feedback, which is the same spot for the ECU that I’m looking at now. Concerning the main harness, are you talking about the hole in the bulkhead that the clutch linkage normally pass through at the driver’s side – mine is a manual and I can’t find a big hole like you are mentioning?

Regards
Karsten
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

No, It's the one that has a big rubber grommet to the right of the clutch. It angles toward the engine. My memory is vague but I think the speedo cable and/or vacuum hose goes through also? Remember, I configured my own harness so I was able to get it small in diameter using the nylon cable shield we use on military type cables rather than that big bulky plastic accordion crap.

Bullshark
Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm in the process of installing a Holley 950 throttle body injection. I mounted the ECU in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. I had to extend the tbi harness (the part with the throttle position sensor, the idle air compensator, and injector wires) by two feet. Lots of soldering. Then I ran the harness from the storage compartment thru the trans tunnel following the battery cable route.
Bee Jay
Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My engine and gen7 unit are at Competition Marine in St. Louis for dyno tuning as we speak( thanks Bullshark ). I will post pics of the entire installation when I get it back in a couple of days.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 AM
karstenhorn
Advanced

Originally Posted by gyopp
My engine and gen7 unit are at Competition Marine in St. Louis for dyno tuning as we speak( thanks Bullshark ). I will post pics of the entire installation when I get it back in a couple of days.

Hello

Indeed looking forward to see these pictures, I intend to do the same as Bullshark and route some of the main harness out in front of the driver and the other part below the heater core where I will drill a new hole for the rubber grommet.

My harness is not long enough to place it behind the passenger seat and I don't want to start cutting/soldering now, so the ECU has to go where Bullshark installed it.

Another question, I intend to skip the provided Narrow band and go with my Innovate LC wide band from the beginning, how have you spliced the WB signal wire into the ACCEL harness? The instructions does not say how to integrate the 0 - 5 V signal coming from the WB but I can see the possibility to switch between the HEGO end UEGO in the Callmap software.

Thanks in advance and regards from Denmark

Karsten
Thanks for all the replies
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am using the Accel wideband. It plugs directly in to the HEGO plug on the harness. Look at the harness schematic in Calmap and you will see that the Hego connector has power as well as signal wiring. You will probably have to modify your harness or get an adapter harness of some sort. I am not sure what connection the Innovate sensor has.

My ECU is going very close to the location chosen by Bullshark but my heater is removed so I have more room. I am using the opening where the vacumm tubing passed through the firewall.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by karstenhorn
Hello

Another question, I intend to skip the provided Narrow band and go with my Innovate LC wide band from the beginning, how have you spliced the WB signal wire into the ACCEL harness? The instructions does not say how to integrate the 0 - 5 V signal coming from the WB but I can see the possibility to switch between the HEGO end UEGO in the Callmap software.

Thanks in advance and regards from Denmark

Karsten
Thanks for all the replies
Karsten, I also used the LC-1. It is pretty straight forward. The LC-1 has two analog outputs. Choose either one, program the LC-1 accordingly, and connect it to the HEGO signal on the Accel HEGO connector. Power and Grounds for your system are very important so be careful here. I choose to establish single point grounding and power distribution on my interface board (shown in the above pic). Connect the LC-1 heater ground to the single point power ground terminal. A relatively hefty wire then connects the single point power ground to chassis/ neg battery terminal. I connected the LC-1 system ground to my single point signal return point (on the interface board) and then ran another wire to the HEGO signal return pin on the HEGO connector. +12v switched power was again provided from my single point ignition +12v power point on the interface board. Close attention to grounding and power distribution will payoff in the long hall. If you have an Accel harness, just connect the LC-1 system ground directly to signal return on the HEGO connector.

Bullshark

Last edited by Bullshark; 02-26-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
karstenhorn
Advanced

Thanks Bullshark

I do have the Accel main harness and as you described, it sounds like quite an easy job. I have done quite a few stand-alones in the past and all of them had a separate channel for WB/NB. Not much info about this topic in the Accel install papers.
So all the so-called "Sensor return" wires are simply a balanced system ground?

What I'm missing is the possibility to integrate 2 WB/NB channels, it is always nice to either have a narrow band you can compare your wide band to (at stoic) or have separate readings for the left/right bank.

Yet again thanks for all the good replies

Regards
Karsten
Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Karsten
Accel has the single HEGO/UEGO input and is setup/programed in the Calmap software application. There are some dual A/F meters that can average the two sensors or configure as narrow band if desired. I am thinking of the FAST A/F meter I think.

Bullshark
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you use the accel wideband kit you will have another ecm to mount but you get dual sensors with this setup. Mine is a single sensor wideband from accel. (dual was just coming out when I got mine)

-Justin
Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that a dual sync distributor? And what are you other guys running for a dist. I am running an HEI batch fire right now but want to go to a non-MSD box dual sync in order to run sequential. Anybody using this setup right now?

-Justin

Last edited by Dalannex; 02-27-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add signature
Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the dual sync set up for sequential but it still uses the MSD. I am sure Bullshark will chime in but I think he is set up this way also.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

I mounted my ECU behind the right dash panel also. The harness is routed through the firewall just to the right of the dizzy and sealed with a large grommet.
Attached Images   

Last edited by wabco40; 02-27-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
karstenhorn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dalannex
Is that a dual sync distributor? And what are you other guys running for a dist. I am running an HEI batch fire right now but want to go to a non-MSD box dual sync in order to run sequential. Anybody using this setup right now?

-Justin
Hello Justin

Yes, it is a dual sync on my engine, it is simply a dual trigger for the cam/crank so you will need some sort of ignition box to run this setup. I'm going to use a MSD 6A box for my DFI.

Regards
Karsten
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
weez58
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Karsten,

I mounted mine behind the passenger side dash as well. I'm not a "purist" so I drill two holes (below the heater core I believe). The wiring routed pretty well from there.

I was using an MSD tach drive distributor, but I was having issues during cranking, so I bought an Accel Dual Sync distributor. I'm told that the trigger electronics that MSD uses don't play well with the Gen 7. It should show up tomorrow. I'll be using the Dual Sync with an MSD 6T box.

Bullshark:

I tried using my LM-1 with the Gen 7, but the O2 readings on the DFI screen don't match the LM-1 readings. What voltage output setting did you use for the LM-1?

Thanks,
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Accel DFI Gen VII installation – A few Qs

Quick Reply: Accel DFI Gen VII installation – A few Qs