C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my Dart heads!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 04:51 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I love my Dart heads!

I finally broke in my new motor and had a chance to get on it today. I was supprised with the power of the little motor - it winds up quick and sounds great. This thing has more ***** than the 383 I had before with the factory 202 heads, and this motor is a 355. I'm glad I went with the Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads.
:D
Engine specs:
*Ballanced 350 4 bolt .030" oversize
*Dart Pro 1 heads. Angle plug, 200cc intake runners & 64cc chambers
*Felpro coated steel shim head gaskets (Thin - compression is 9.6 with the pistons I have)
*Keith Black cast dished pistons
*Chrome moly rings
*ARP rod bolts, head bolts, & main bolts
*Cast GM 350 crank
*Stock 5.7" rods
*Melling Hi-Vol oil pump
*Hooker 1 3/4" headers Jet Hot coated
*Comp Cams XE268 cam:
Intake - .477" lift & 224 deg duration @ .050
Exhaust - .480" lift & 230 deg duration @ .050
*Crane Blazer aluminum roller rockers 1.5 ratio
*Mallory Unilite Comp 9000 & MSD 6T
*Jacobs Energy Team high-winding coil
*Taylor Spiro-Pro wires
*Edelbrock Performer intake & Victor water pump.

On another note, I got laid off yesterday. The cargo airline I work for is being dismantled by the parent company. I'm getting a decent severants package, but if anyone out there has any connections with airlines or aircraft/engine leasing companies - drop me a line.
Thanks
:cheers:

[Modified by 71coupe, 1:47 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 05:16 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: I love my Dart heads! (71coupe)

Sorry to here that

I love my Dart heads also. I noticed a real change at the 800 or 1000 mile mark. The motor just seemed to free up and I was able to really fine tune the carb because vacuum came up. What happened to the 383?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:34 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: I love my Dart heads! (gkull)

gkull-:cheers:
The 383 I had was from Speed-O-Motive. They built a short block for me with their forged racing assy in '97
I started hearing noise from the bottom end. When I tore it apart I found that they didn't assemble it properly. The radius on the # 1-2 & 5-6 throws was way off & needed to be welded & turned.
All of the rods needed to be rebushed because whoever did it the first time didn't get them straight. Two of the expensive J.E. pistons were damaged because of this.
& when I had the block checked locally, they found a 2" crack in the valley/lifter area.

When I went back to Speed-O-Motive they said I was using too much nitrous & I had detonation. I told them I've never used nitrous & I had the timing way back to keep from detonating. They also said it's been too much time since they put it together. I think the motor had a total of 9000 miles on it.

I junked the block & traded the repairable rotating assembly for my new ballanced 355 shortblock at a local machine shop.

I'm glad I got my car going before I got laid off.
:yesnod:

[Modified by 71coupe, 2:28 PM 12/6/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To I love my Dart heads!

Quick Reply: I love my Dart heads!