C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Differential Rebuild Paper

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
My tube of the GM yellow stuff has # 1052351. It is called Gear Marking Compound. I used less than 1/4 of the tube on mine. I'm stingy
I think I used almost a whole tube, that's how many times I did the gear patterning!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

If you want the white then go to a FORD dealer. I use both.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Looks like I forgot to mention to install a brass drain plug in the housing...

Name:  DSC02557.jpg
Views: 4865
Size:  127.4 KB

Its a 1/4'' brass pipe plug. Its tapered so the more you tighten it, the more it seals (just make it nice and snug.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
mpettus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Diff inspection

First off, great article. I started pulling my rear cover off and inspecting the diff when I came across this. I am not planning on doing a full rebuild yet, but I checked out the backlash and yolk play.

For the backlash (only 1 spot measured) I was getting about 0.020" movement. I know the article states this can vary from gear manufactures, but it seems quite a bit larger than the 0.006 - 0.008" you measured. Should I be concerned about this much backlash for now?

Side yolk came in around 0.030" which seems acceptable although not ideal.

Thanks again for the great article.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Uh oh Gary, looks like you got some competition
Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by foxymophandlpapa
Uh oh Gary, looks like you got some competition
Not quite, I don't have a surface grinder or the space to take in jobs Plus, I didn't run into major issues with my casing - If I had to machine a diff housing to do the job correctly, then I wouldn't be able to complete a job...plus, I don't have time.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mpettus
First off, great article. I started pulling my rear cover off and inspecting the diff when I came across this. I am not planning on doing a full rebuild yet, but I checked out the backlash and yolk play.

For the backlash (only 1 spot measured) I was getting about 0.020" movement. I know the article states this can vary from gear manufactures, but it seems quite a bit larger than the 0.006 - 0.008" you measured. Should I be concerned about this much backlash for now?

Side yolk came in around 0.030" which seems acceptable although not ideal.

Thanks again for the great article.
0.020 backlash is too much. I know richmonds are around 0.010, and they are more than most brands. Look at it this way - when the diff oil heats up under use, the gears expand, and the backlash decreases dramatically due to the expanded gears. If the lash is too big, then there will still be a lot of space (or backlash if you will) in the gears, which creates a "hammering" affect on the gears when you slow down, then stomp on the throttle. This puts a lot of stress on the teeth of the gears.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
427-390
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy,

Excellent how-to article! I'll be saving this one for future reference.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mpettus
What did you end up doing with the diff?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

do you understand plagiarism? What grade are you in kid?

Gary teaches you how to rebuild your diff then you repay him by putting it on the internet as your own ideas?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by turtlevette
do you understand plagiarism? What grade are you in kid?

Gary teaches you how to rebuild your diff then you repay him by putting it on the internet as your own ideas?
You're kidding right...

Last edited by stinger12; 05-03-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by stinger12
You're kidding right...
NO,

very serious business.

haven't you ever done a paper in school and haven't your teachers taught you better?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Haven't you ever done a paper in school? Plagiarism is copying someone else's written work word for word. What the hell do you think a damn research paper is - you cite your sources at the end of the paper. Maybe I didn't mention Gary's or Mike's name enough throughout the article, but this is a compilation of what they taught me over the phone, through PM's and emails. And yes, this is MY paper. I put the time into it, I stayed up late typing in word for weeks, I asked Mike and Gary all the questions which I couldn't find on the forum. This is a research paper. My sources are cited throughout the paragraphs of text. I think you just have a grudge against me from when I responded to one of your bubba techniques over on Digital regarding the rear bearings...

You:
not that i recommend this BUT,
I slip fit both bearings and ****can the spacer. Tighten the spindle nut using the same procedure you do the front.
Did this about 6 years ago and 60k miles with no trouble at all. They still feel nice and tight.
I want to be able to break the thing down and easily fix it when 600 miles away from home at a track. Serviceablity is the main reason.

Me:
You don't have to be an expert to work on these bearings...you just have to have patience when setting them up. Case and point - I am only 18 and rebuilt mine for the first time and had my friend turn me two shims to the sizes I needed. I got the endplay on one side to 0.0015 and the other side to 0.002-0.0025. Pressed fitted the bearings and everything...you just need to research how to rebuild them. Other than that, these arms are really easy to rebuild...

You:
yada yada, you have until you're 60 to finish yours......
think you will make it.??
I'm paranoid about being in Canada (for example) when one of these things burns up. I don't like being stuck 600 miles from home. I don't have week to do the work on the road and i don't have a week to find someone and wait for them to do it.
I've been milling over another idea. I'll just carry a whole bearing housing assy already set up with the spindle and greased. That should'nt take that much time to swap.
as far as i can see the only difference between left and right is where the flat is milled on the shock mount holes. I just take a shock mount and extend the flat spot all the way down the length with a grinder and vollia you have a right or left hand assy.

Turtlevette, you truly are a sad individual. I don't even take in jobs...I did this one job and that's it. I wrote this paper for the rest of the forum - I wanted to write it from the standpoint of a rookie. If you think I wrote this for myself, well, then you have issues. I never copied and pasted anything from Gary's paper - hell, I didn't even refer to it while I was typing the info on this one.

Last edited by stinger12; 05-05-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Shouldn't have done any name calling.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Wow, your a retard - plain and simple.

NO it's you're "Wow you're a retard"

Ask your teacher about stealing other's people work at school tomorrow. Maybe you are on the ragged edge of being legal. Either way not a nice thing to do to a mentor.

you built 1 and you won't know it if works for years. Gary has built hundreds.

P.S. Show this post to your dad. I'm sure he will be proud that your are calling people retards.

Last edited by turtlevette; 05-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I would have to agree this kid has some maturity issues. If he is not the center of attraction or is in any way disagreed with he goes into a wining frenzy. I have followed the threads and found that this young man is hot-headed, insecure and just thin skinned.

Stinger 12, you have done some nice work and I will not even attempt to take that away. However, your disposition and self-centeredness is appalling. You have also demonstrated some “Bubba” fixes in your project. I don’t think anyone would ever before now tell you the truth of your attitude as I would have to say that many have read your tantrums in your long thread. Many have also tried to provide you with advice and patronized your whimpering of family and others who easily “**** you off”.

I thought from the beginning that you had no wright to publish information that was freely shared with you.

Do you not think that the people who provide that information to you in private could not do a paper as you did with their own experience and information? I would have thought if they wanted years of experience plastered all over the web they would have done so?

You realize that you may have been provided this information just due to the fact that you were not experienced? I see, or read, that with any one item you complete you suddenly become a self-proclaimed expert.

I see your paper as pure betrayal.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FatCat Blue 80
You realize that you may have been provided this information just due to the fact that you were not experienced? I see, or read, that with any one item you complete you suddenly become a self-proclaimed expert.
Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with you on this one. I have a tendency to call myself an "expert" on items I have only worked on once or twice. That is definitely not a good thing, and I will cut down on that.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Do you guys honestly think I would have posted all this info if Gary and Mike weren't okay with it?

Get notified of new replies

To My Differential Rebuild Paper

Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Blain
Racer

You guys can cite maturity issues, plagarizm or temper tantrums but few 18 year olds are capable or even interested in a restoration of this magnatude. Give him some guidance instead of spanking him.

My guidance; Stinger, chill on the name calling.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with you on this one. I have a tendency to call myself an "expert" on items I have only worked on once or twice. That is definitely not a good thing, and I will cut down on that.
You do nice work and you are a very advance young man. You have taken my constructive critizcisum very well and I will continue to enjoy your build on the other thread.

I hoped you would take my post as guidance; it appears by your responce that you have.

Hang in on the humble side and praise will always come with good work

Last edited by Aggitated Monkey; 05-04-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:31 AM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Quick Reply: My Differential Rebuild Paper