C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec 5 Speed Transmission Leak (Keisler)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Tremec 5 Speed Transmission Leak (Keisler)

Moved the car today and went for a ride. Everything is good and here is what I found under the car. Car sits level in this position.

I know its from the trans but where!!!!!. I guess I need to to get it up in the air and see. Just wondering if anyone has run into this. 1 year old with 5,000 miles on it. It only leaks when it sits overnight. Nothing on the driveway and its been sitting there for 5 hours and I have the car sitting so trans fluid is forced to the rear of the trans.

I am thinking speedo cable.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing and I thought it was the rear yoke seal. In fact it was leaking back through the cap that is crimped on to the back of the yoke.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little leak. It comes from the speedo cable. Undo the cable and let the cable drain. If there is any oil in it. It will drip out in a few minutes. Change the O-ring on the cable housing. That should fix your problem.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Binnie77
I had the same thing and I thought it was the rear yoke seal. In fact it was leaking back through the cap that is crimped on to the back of the yoke.
What did you do to fix it. New Yoke?

What did u do about your whine in the rear end
Old 04-05-2008, 04:35 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Brown78
I have a little leak. It comes from the speedo cable. Undo the cable and let the cable drain. If there is any oil in it. It will drip out in a few minutes. Change the O-ring on the cable housing. That should fix your problem.

Keisler sent me a new seal kit for the speedo because I needed a different gear. I installed it and now it leaks. It never leaked before I changed the gear.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by spedaleden
What did you do to fix it. New Yoke?

What did u do about your whine in the rear end
All you need to do to seal it is just disconnect the shaft and put some sealant over the back of the cap.

It is raining today and I was not able to take the car out again. It is suppose to be sunny and nice tomorrow so I will rake it out for another short run. I plan to take my camera with me to see if the audio will pick up the noise I am hearing. I will post it and let you guys analyze it. It sounds more like tightness somewhere more so than a gear mesh problem.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I put in a complete new cable and seal and it still leaks a little. I also have a front leak on it. I wipe it off the floor evey time I go out. Someday I'll get to the leak.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:03 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Tomorrow I will put it up and see if it's the speedo cable or the yoke.

Man I hate leaks. Guess I should of went with a C5 or C6
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my leak actually was the rear seal.. even though I didnt buy my tranny from kiesler they sold me a rear seal and had it sent out fedex to me...its a mother getting that brobdignagian seal outta there... (had to sacrifice a screwdriver to make a custom tool) but I'm leak free once more.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:19 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

nothing technical to add but, will be interested in seeing Keilser's "typical" customer centric response.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Well the trans was about a half a quart down, so I filled it back up and here are some pics of oil splatter. The speedo is fine, no leaks there, it has to be the yoke. Pic 1 & 2 looks normal but pics 3 & 4 you can see where oil is spattering around and it ends up on the exhaust and we all know that smell. This is getting me mad because you can eat off the bottom of my car and this leak is wrecking all my hard work.

Any advise before I go to Keisler.

Last edited by spedaleden; 04-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Well, I think Richard will back me up here and he is going to ask you to seal the cap in the yoke. Mine is now dry as a bone.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
bonehead2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by seal the cap in the yoke?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

There is a cap that is pressed in the center of the yoke. Clean it good to get all the oil off, then put a bead of silicone around the cap where it is pressed in let it dry good and see if thats your leak.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by bonehead2
What do you mean by seal the cap in the yoke?
These yokes have a cap on the end of them that is crimped into the yoke to keep the oil from passing along the splines and out the back. Some of these crimping jobs did not seal them 100%. Keisler is now putting a sealing compound on them to ensure a 100% seal.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Oh boy, I just love taking out that yoke. This one is real tight. Does the beed go on the inside of the yoke or the outside by the u joint?

Last edited by spedaleden; 04-06-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Oh boy, I just love taking out that yoke. This one is real tight. Does the beed go on the inside of the yoke or the outside by the u joint?
The bead of sealant goes on the outside. Don't pull the yoke out. Just drop the drive shaft, push the yoke in as far as it will go, push the driveshaft up or over out of your way (no need to disconnect the rear u joint), clean the back of the yoke with a solvent and apply your sealant. Then tell Richard he owes you one

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec 5 Speed Transmission Leak (Keisler)

Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Binnie77
The bead of sealant goes on the outside. Don't pull the yoke out. Just drop the drive shaft, push the yoke in as far as it will go, push the driveshaft up or over out of your way (no need to disconnect the rear u joint), clean the back of the yoke with a solvent and apply your sealant. Then tell Richard he owes you one
Thanks buddy, you made my day! Richard owes you one also, for the help!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW...looks like I owe Binnie and spedaleden a more than one. This is what I get for working on my flooring this weekend and not having time to check this forum. Sorry guys and a big thank you to Binnie for pointing spedaleden in the right direction. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Richard
Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rj8806
WOW...looks like I owe Binnie and spedaleden a more than one. This is what I get for working on my flooring this weekend and not having time to check this forum. Sorry guys and a big thank you to Binnie for pointing spedaleden in the right direction. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Richard

Thanks for checking in Rick. Hopefully we'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Tremec 5 Speed Transmission Leak (Keisler)