C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help...pulling engine and can't get to bellhousing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Need help...pulling engine and can't get to bellhousing bolts

I am in the process of pulling the engine in my '75/manual trans, and I have only been able to successfully remove one of the bellhousing bolts. I cannot physically get to the two on the side. I wasn't planning on pulling the trans with the engine, so my idea was just to separate at the block/bellhousing, but that's not looking too good. Can I separate the bellhousing from the trans and pull it that way? This is my first time pulling an engine, so bear with me here.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will be easier if you separate the bellhousing from the block. You should be able to get at the bolts from either top or bottom.....try using a long extension with a universal, if that doesn't work, try using a box wrench.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3/8 DRIVE 18" EXTENSION + 3/8 UJOINT AND SOCKET {oops caps} is how I got to mine

but you really need to pull the trans out first

you can get away with cracking them with an automatic, but too much shaft sticks in through the clutch assembly for me to attempt it with a manual.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Quil
Drifting

OK I got three out of the four bolts on the top, but the fourth one won't back out all the way...it hits the firewall before it comes all the way out. Any creative ideas on that one? I was thinking maybe go ahead and hook the hoist up, pull the motor mounts, and then try to move the engine forward so I could suck that bolt back up against the bellhousing and get enough room to back it the rest of the way out from the block. Yes, no?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I would try it...

but when you put it back together, how are you going to line transmission shaft back up with pilot bearing?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Try lifting under the transmission to pivot the whole assembly forward, that may give you the clearance to get the bolt out. It's a pain but it's been done before!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
Try lifting under the transmission to pivot the whole assembly forward, that may give you the clearance to get the bolt out. It's a pain but it's been done before!

Be sure to remove the 2 transmission mount bolts first... (I didn't... and now own a new one... its a good idea to get a new transmission mount and motor mounts when you pull the engine for the first time anyways)

Good luck
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

The engine/bellhousing/transmission stack is only held in with 4 bolts. Two at the engine mount and two where the end of the transmission is bolted to the rubber pad and transmission crossmember. What about undoing the two bolts at the back of the transmission and moving the engine/bellhousing/transmission stack an inch or so forward to get out that one remaining bolt. You probably will have to remove the transmission shift levers where they attach to the transmission. (This won't effect shifter alignment.) Support the end of the transmission with a floor jack. I think you could move forward by at least an inch or so.

Just suggestions. I always remove the entire stack at one time. Using an engine hoist and a tilt bar on the hoist to tilt the nose of the engine up in the air as I pull the entire stack forward.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Quil
Drifting

OK good stuff, I'll see if I can pull the tranny mount bolts and shift it forward a little. Everything else is out/removed, and the hoist is hooked up and tight, ready to pull.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Quil
Drifting

Finally got them all out by taking out the motor mounts and then setting the engine down a little further. Thanks for the help. Now if I can just get the bellhousing separated from the block, I'll be good....
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quil
Finally got them all out by taking out the motor mounts and then setting the engine down a little further. Thanks for the help. Now if I can just get the bellhousing separated from the block, I'll be good....
Just out of interest, why the heck don't you just pull the engine with the bellhousing attached, it's so much easier. In fact, I pulled the motor with the transmission then reinstalled it the same way. Allot less time laying on your back tring to reach bolts.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Quil
Drifting

Originally Posted by TopGunn
Just out of interest, why the heck don't you just pull the engine with the bellhousing attached, it's so much easier. In fact, I pulled the motor with the transmission then reinstalled it the same way. Allot less time laying on your back tring to reach bolts.
You know, I went back and forth on this issue a lot before I started pulling. I searched a lot on the forum, and it really seemed to be split 50/50 as to pulling the engine AND trans, or just the engine alone. It really seemed like it would be no problem to just pull the engine alone, so that's the route I went. This is the first engine I've ever pulled, so I am a complete newb on the subject and wouldn't have known any better either way.

I may very well end up pulling the trans at this point and reinstalling them together. I have a shifter rebuild kit to install as well, and it might be just as easy to accomplish that with everything out.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I hear you........sometimes more of a personel preference, everyone has a way they like to do it, but reinstalling your motor on a bellhousing with the transmission shaft sticking out has got to be a nightmare getting things lined up. You'll be so much better off reinstalling things with at least the bellhousing attached to the motor then sliding the transmission into the clutch spline and bolting it to the bellhousing. The best is to assemble everything, then install engine/trans as a unit. I did my 75 with a little help from my daughter just to get the tailshaft down in the tunnel.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help...pulling engine and can't get to bellhousing bolts

Quick Reply: Need help...pulling engine and can't get to bellhousing bolts