C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan 1'' taller than oem prblems with this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan 1'' taller than oem prblems with this?

picked up oil pan for 81 350 and i just looked at it and it is about an inch taller.... its just a basic steel oil pan they said that this is the right one for the car. will i have to get a longer pick up for this pan? do you think the wendy plate will get in the way of the pick up? will it hang below the cross member and get ripped off?.
cant try it on the car right now as everything is ripped out..
anyone have this same thing
thanks
Todd
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it would be ok. a deeper pan is good for keeping the oil cooler. it shouldnt make a difference to your pick up because as long as you fill your oil to the position it should be on the dipstick it will still be at the same level. it just means you have a larger quantity of oil in there. i run a deeper transmission oil pan and it keeps the fluid in there alot cooler.it has a about a 10 litre volume now with the cooler. dont know what a wendy plate is sorry? is it that lip that sits inside the back of the pan where the pick up goes?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 PM
cargo247
Drifting

yes the plate thats welded in the pan. i think thats what it is called ..been calling it that for years...lol
Old 04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

I asked the same question a few days ago and in a nut shell here is what I got. Probably OK to use BUT the different oil pan may hit the cross member in the front. I installed my headers on the engine stand and they hang lower than the bottom of my new oil pan. So I think I would need to bottom out the car hard enough to bend the headers up about 1” to get to the oil pan. Bottom line I am going to give it a try as long as I don’t have clearance issues with the cross member.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
cargo247
Drifting

what about the oil pick-up you don't think there will be an issue
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure on that, I have a new pickup in mine. Sorry
Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 AM
kwplot34
Racer

Originally Posted by Theiskell
Todd,we need to pull your pan and check the pickup clearance and also to make sure that the pickup tube is secured properly.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If your oil pan is 1 inch deeper than your old one you will need to adjust your pick up height to accomodate the added depth of the pan. I checked mine after measuring by placing a square of clay on the bottom of the pick up and laying the oil pan on, checking the clearance. My pick up was not adjustable so I needed to make sure I had the right one bolted on.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rclinton
If your oil pan is 1 inch deeper than your old one you will need to adjust your pick up height to accomodate the added depth of the pan. I checked mine after measuring by placing a square of clay on the bottom of the pick up and laying the oil pan on, checking the clearance. My pick up was not adjustable so I needed to make sure I had the right one bolted on.
What should the distance from the bottom of the pan be?
Old 04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
cargo247
Drifting

What should the distance from the bottom of the pan be?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:26 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

INSIDE depth of OE sbc C3 pan from gasket flange to sump should be about 7 1/4". I had a deeper pan on a previous car ... I was careful but nicked it pretty hard a few times ... I'll never suggest a deeper pan. You will need a deeper pickup for a deeper pan (match pickup to pan). Suggest the correct pan or an aftermarket shallow "road race" pan w/ more volume in wings aka kickouts. If you whack a hole/crack in pan at speed you can quickly lose a motor and/or entire car. FYI ... it's a "windage tray"
Old 04-13-2008, 03:48 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rclinton
My reference (how to rebuild a small block Chevrolet) says 1/4" from the bottom of the pickup to the bottom of the pan.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 AM
cargo247
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackson
INSIDE depth of OE sbc C3 pan from gasket flange to sump should be about 7 1/4". I had a deeper pan on a previous car ... I was careful but nicked it pretty hard a few times ... I'll never suggest a deeper pan. You will need a deeper pickup for a deeper pan (match pickup to pan). Suggest the correct pan or an aftermarket shallow "road race" pan w/ more volume in wings aka kickouts. If you whack a hole/crack in pan at speed you can quickly lose a motor and/or entire car. FYI ... it's a "windage tray"
thanks for the info (windage tray) i was close with wendy

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan 1'' taller than oem prblems with this?

Quick Reply: Oil pan 1'' taller than oem prblems with this?