C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 03:59 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them?

I know there are one or two members here with a custom full tilt front end. Questions:

1. Do they make the car any less rigid? If so, too much?

2. And can you get to the engine and components a lot easier?

I've got all of the info from Ecklers on their kit and allignment of the hinge and supports looks pretty involved. Considering trying to make my own . . . just time and money (and more money to fix all of the mistakes on the way)

And if you want to flame me for even thinking about a full-tilt end, then go ahead. . . Have fun, I'll still do what I want anyway. :D :D I'm just not sure if I have the guts to try this mod. Sure wish I would've grown up living next to Daryl Starbird.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:17 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (74-Roadster)

dont know about them, but i do like the way they look, so good luck on your project

ZD :cheers:
Old 12-14-2001, 04:20 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (74-Roadster)

I been thinking of a full tilt front bonnet for a LONG time, allways thought those were the way to build a car, steel bumpers and all.....
maybe next year.....;-))) lemme know what it takes.....besides bucks....

GENE
Old 12-14-2001, 07:50 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (mrvette)

Wow, no flames :confused: :confused:

The hinge support and latching mechanisms are the key. I think I could use my front clip and make my own front, but custom fabing then hinge, supports and installing some type of latch that works well could be difficult. Eckler's nose has the recessed head lights :U and a stock style hood. I think it'd be cool with new lights in a custom grill up front (no center section) and the light covers glassed smooth with an L88 style hood.

Someone here has the Mako shark replica car . . . Hope he spots this topic.
Old 12-14-2001, 08:01 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

I sure hate to see you customize such a nice looking Corvette (does it show that I'm looking around at verts?). But if ya gotta, ya gotta.
These people have a fiberglass one piece front end but I don't know if they have a hinge kit or not.
http://www.hairyglass.com/pricelist.html

Good luck with it.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:50 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (1979toy)

I could also go with one myself. I will have to look into it myself later one. Sure would be nice to get to everything.
Neil in Tenn
Old 12-14-2001, 11:58 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

74-roadster,
WHY ?? A tilt front is for someone who wants a "custom" or for someone who doesn`t want to spend the $$$$$$$$ after a crash.
...redvetracr
Old 12-15-2001, 09:58 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (redvetracr)

A friend of mine in the Raleigh Corvette Club (Corvettes International) is currently having a local shop build a tilt front that has some special features-
it retains all of the factory headlight stuff, and can be either tilted up, or the center (standard) hood opens to just check the oil. There are two sets of hood latches, using some latches from a C4 (I believe). When they finish it (soon), they are going to market it. The guy doing the work has been building rods since the early 60's and has a lot of experience. There were some issues with hood rigity, but these have been resolved. It's a 1981 donor car.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:07 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (Tom454)

The ones I've seen don't open full up like a C4 due to the long nose overhang. They only open about 40 degrees from horizontal. Be sure you know what you're getting.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:12 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (flynhi)

The one I was referring to, does open all the way- they fabricated a hinge that addresses that issue (so they say). I haven't seen it yet though. I think the car is in the paint shop now.

Edit: As this front end opens, it also raises the nose so that the nose has plenty of ground clearance. These guys covered all of the issues from what I have been told. The car owner is a "lunch buddy" of mine.

[Modified by Tom454, 9:29 AM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 10:13 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (flynhi)

could you make a hood flip up infront of the bumper, kindof like a c4... so you can open it all the way, instead of dealling with the point on the front touching the ground...

just thinking out loud

ZD
Old 12-17-2001, 12:41 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (Tom454)

A friend of mine in the Raleigh Corvette Club (Corvettes International) is currently having a local shop build a tilt front that has some special features-
. . . When they finish it (soon), they are going to market it. The guy doing the work has been building rods since the early 60's and has a lot of experience. There were some issues with hood rigity, but these have been resolved. It's a 1981 donor car.
That sounds very interesting!!! I can do almost anything in glass, but th hinge, supports, allignment and latching is something I'm not sure I can do by myself and a one of a kind set up will take lots of $$$$. Put me in touch with them when they're getting into the marketing, I'd like to know the details and the cost.

redvetracr,

Yes, I want custom . . . a show car that I can drive! :cool:
Old 12-17-2001, 01:06 AM
bhays
Burning Brakes

Even though I am pretty far along with the body work on the front of my project, an '81, I would consider going with this as well. Perhaps you could tell your friend who's working on this about the Forum and ask him to post some pictures and tell us more about it?
Old 12-18-2001, 11:47 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (bhays)

ttt

Tom?????
Old 12-18-2001, 11:52 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

It would LOOK AWESOME ON THE 74 ROADSTER :D :cheers: ...I say Go for it
Old 12-18-2001, 12:16 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them? (Alwyn678)

Sorry... I was out in the shop rebuilding my sandblasting box for the last two days.
Can't live without that accessory.

I will copy this "shortcut" and send it to him... maybe he will respond... we just exchanged emails a few minutes ago and our families are getting together over the holidays.

Tom
Old 12-18-2001, 12:38 PM
Injected
Instructor

Either Vette or Corvette Fever did a tilt front on a customized Mako C3 a few years ago, the whole project was spread out over a few months. If you can't track them down let me know, I'm sure I have the issues around here somewhere. I was looking into putting a tilt front end on another vehicle and from what I remember the article showed exactly how to do it.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them?

Old 12-18-2001, 01:00 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I would not make the swap on undamaged Corvette sheet metal, but the choice is yours. The major complaint I have heard about the tilt kits is the tendancy for the nose to hit the ground when the thing is opened up. :)
Old 12-18-2001, 01:37 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I'd love to have my engine compartment as open as a C4 :yesnod: . I say if you can do it then go for it :D !
Old 12-18-2001, 08:16 PM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the car that CF did the article on a few years ago. Hope this helps a little.
http://cpts-test.com/shark/

Quick Reply: Full tilt front ends. . . Who's got one or dealt with them?