C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy cheap headers and get them coated or buy coated headers?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Buy cheap headers and get them coated or buy coated headers?

Consensus seems to be that the $80 Summit headers are of decent quality, but would it be worth getting them ceramic coated locally, or would it be better to just get an already coated set somewhere and go from there?

I guess the same question would apply to Hedman or Hooker uncoated versions, but I have not priced the coating service yet (there is a place that does them locally, so shipping is not a concern) and I am guessing that when its all said and done that the prices will about equal.

I suppose the other option is just keep buying Summit headers every time that they rust out, but the sight of rusty pipes in my engine compartment just bugs me.

Stan's tri-y's sound like a good option, but they come chrome plated or stainless. I'm not sure how well the chrome would hold up, and stainless seems way too expensive.

Any and all opinions wanted...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my .02 here but at times you may find you need to dimple a header here or there for best fit. So I would rather test fit the header and make any modifications needed then have them coated.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:00 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
Just my .02 here but at times you may find you need to dimple a header here or there for best fit. So I would rather test fit the header and make any modifications needed then have them coated.
Good tip, I had not really thought of that. Hopefully that won't be an issue, but that steering box is awfully tight.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have hooker super comp on my orginal 77 and they fit with no dimpling...

also not all coatings are equel.. jet coat is the best and dont bother blasting used ones before shipping to them - they require they clean them because of the warranty.

r
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bullcrappy1
I have hooker super comp on my orginal 77 and they fit with no dimpling...

also not all coatings are equel.. jet coat is the best and dont bother blasting used ones before shipping to them - they require they clean them because of the warranty.

r
Polydyn is here in Houston, and they have a pretty good rep from what I have gathered. I have bought some headers straight from Jet-Hot in the past and was very satisfied with them as well.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

The factory coatings tend to be of cheaper quality then the companies you send your headers to have them coated. If you want long lasting get regular uncoated headers and send them out to be done.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

You might call Jet-Hot... they have a number of different headers for different applications all ready done with their Jet Hot coating. You tell them the brand/application and they may have them out to you the next day.

Web address used to be: www.jet-hot.com/

kdlp
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by kdlp

You might call Jet-Hot... they have a number of different headers for different applications all ready done with their Jet Hot coating. You tell them the brand/application and they may have them out to you the next day.

Web address used to be: www.jet-hot.com/

kdlp
I've checked them out before, just wondering what they are like vs. factory coating. RoadRaceVette kind of answered my question there, thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
stevekk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the heck of it, check out scottsvettetalk.com.

Under the "how to guilds" click "painting headers" where Scott painted the Summit Corvette Headers you are talking about. Might get some ideas.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I would also do as suggested, which is fit uncoated ones first then have them coated. I don't think at least with the Hooker Super Comps I have that there really is any price difference in buying them coated or having them coated later. I paid 255 to have mine coated locally last year.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
nate99
Race Director

I figured that the price would probably wash to about equal, and in general I would think that a shop that does plating/coating for individuals as their only business would do a more complete job than a manufacturer that is just doing one more thing in a long process to get the product out the door.

Not that they all have poor quality, just all else being equal.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
wiseman79
Pro

I've seen alot of parts done by our local jet hot guy, and looks great. I ordered coated headers from hedman, and they rusted in spots within about a month- same deal with 2 buddies of mine. I'll never order coated headers again. Plus if you have a local shop do it and you have problems, it would be easier I think to get satisfaction versus mailing them off and waiting for a warrenty fix.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM
OregonVette80
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nate99
...Stan's tri-y's sound like a good option, but they come chrome plated or stainless. I'm not sure how well the chrome would hold up, ...

2nd year on the Chrome. They are holding up VERY well.
The guy who owns the custom/rod shop who put them on my car, also has had a pair of Tri-Y's on his tow truck for 12 years. They still look great (slightly purpled & blue) but that's cool looking to me.

The thing about Stans is how well they are made. The minute you take them out, they "feel" well made, visually inspect them, yea, you know that they really intend on making a quality product and not just mass produced junk to make a quick profit while they can.

but...this is only my opinion and I am most certainly biased about it (if you really want to know, do a google search and try to find one, single complaint agains Stans... You just wont find one. Do that with any other aftermarket supplier... eh, not so much).

Last edited by OregonVette80; 05-08-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:45 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Very happy with my Jet-Hot coated Hedman headers on my '80 L48. Have had mine installed over 5 years. They even re-coated them when one tube peeled after initial installation. I had to pay for my shipping to them but they stripped/re-coated and shipped back to me quickly. No problems since then.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy cheap headers and get them coated or buy coated headers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy cheap headers and get them coated or buy coated headers?