C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI Install Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Default HEI Install Couple of Questions

Hi Guy's,

First I want to acknowledge the forum members who warned in a previous thread related to carbs that I could have an ignition problem. Well guess what, original points fired distributor has enough play to challenge a skank call girl. Kudo's to Lars and the rest who warned me. While I plan to rebuild the original over the summer, I scored a HEI w TACH drive from ZIP. So I need to install and get tuned by saturday for the SVCC cruise thru the valley.

The new unit is greased up in the gear and lower shaft area and sealed with some kinda plastic wrapper. Could/Should I just install it with this grease, or strip the grease, clean it up and either dip in motor oil or lube with lithium grease?

Also, the tach cable works pretty good still and chatters some but not a lot. I was planning to lube the cable and adapter with lithium grease. Will this be sufficient?

I am currently running R44 TS plugs. The motor is 350-250 crate. Do I need to change plugs?...or plug gap?

Anything else I should be aware of with this new unit?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Last edited by CheezMoe; 05-09-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Without seeing the grease or knowing what type it is, it may be best to clean it off. It may be a moly lube for gear break-in. call Zip and ask them.

YOur plugs will be fine. Next time you change them you could open the gap a bit- from the .035 you have now to maybe .040, but it's no deal. I wouldn't pull the plugs just to re gap them.

Make sure you hook the HEI to a good power source- Full 12v with the key on- run a new wire from the IGN FUSED point on the fuse block.

For the tach drive, I'd look at installing the HEI so the tach cable is running as straight as possible and put the adapter on the shelf. Get one possible place for failure out of there. Use a good cable lube, not any heavy grease.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a '73 be sure to bypass the blk w/pnk lettering resistance wire and run a 10 or 12 gauge wire direct from the fused IGN lug in the fuse box, to the batt terminal on the HEI, like above. There's a hole with a plug in it just above the fuse box that comes out just below the brake booster. grommet it if possible.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Thanks for the comments guy's. I did run a new wire from ign for 12v but it is only like 18ga. I guess I'll head out at lunch and get some heavier wire. I would agree that will enable max current..I would think 12ga should be plenty..

I think I will plan to clean the grease off the shaft and gear and dip it in rotella right before I install it. I have always run my dist in the correct corvette position with no coupler on the tach cable so will do with this as well.

I'll be working on this today..but also watching the forum...if anyone else has any comments please share..

Get notified of new replies

To HEI Install Couple of Questions

Quick Reply: HEI Install Couple of Questions