C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery cable nearly burned my car up - Help

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Great thread. Lots of good advice offered and thanks to Mike for posting his findings for the rest of us. I have battery cables on my list of things to do. This is a good reminder.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always carry an extinguisher in any car I own, a fellow club member lost his '69 427 coupe to a fire caused by a displaced positive battery cable, it had been in a repair shop and as he returned home on the freeway, he was being flashed by other freeway users, it turned out he was trailing smoke. Of course he stopped and the fire got a hold of the fiberglass and that was that. Total write off. If he had carried on it may have been ok as long as he had a place set up that could extinguish it, it sounds funny but the fireman who attended said if it ever happened again, head to a gas station (obviously not into the forecourt) as they always have extinguishers and supposedly trained people to use them.
But better to keep it safe by having your own extinguisher, make sure it is big enough (3lb or more).
I keep mine right between the seat backs just behind the console pad.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Mikeg72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI

I installed a 200 amp ANL type fuse inline with the negative battery cable.
It's very inexpensive, I spent $9.99 for the holder & fuse. Just two mounting screws, cut the battery cable & strip about 1/2" from the ends and they plug & tighten into the ends of the fuse holder and you're done.
Replacement fuses range $2.00 to $5.00 if needed. It's a real sturdy heavy duty fuse holder definitely beefy enough for the car.
You can get fuses from 50 amp to 300 amp. I found it through ebay.
Got it in two days. I've been driving all around with the fuse and so far
nothing has gone wrong. If the wiring ever shorts again, I will blow the fuse instead of lighting up the wires red hot!!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Cynthy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Wire Tester

HI, I am thinking if you would like to get some information about Glow Wire Tester? It can help you to determine the fire hazard of electrical parts and components subjected to malfunctions.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

kaiserbud said: " makes you realize how the overlooked fire extinguisher is REALLY WORTHWHILE". Many years ago I watched a Vette burn up less than 1/4 mile from the fire department. The fire started small and could easily have been put out with a small fire extinguisher.......which the driver did not have.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I'm the only member authorized to reply to 10 year old threads!

Fire extinguishers and fusible links are car/lifesavers
Old 06-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't forget (or neglect) the fact that Kidde has recalled virtually all the fire extinguishers they've made in the last 20-30 years.
Search the forum for a thread with links to get a free replacement if you have one of these.
They shipped me 2 after I submitted my on-line requests using the serial #s of each. Once was in my car, the other in the shop.
You'd hate to have one of these, end up needing it, and then have it be a dud!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:13 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Fire Extinguishers

Originally Posted by Bergerboy
Don't forget (or neglect) the fact that Kidde has recalled virtually all the fire extinguishers they've made in the last 20-30 years.
Search the forum for a thread with links to get a free replacement if you have one of these.
They shipped me 2 after I submitted my on-line requests using the serial #s of each. Once was in my car, the other in the shop.
You'd hate to have one of these, end up needing it, and then have it be a dud!
Thanks for the reminder.
I still need to check mine.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
kaiserbud said: " makes you realize how the overlooked fire extinguisher is REALLY WORTHWHILE". Many years ago I watched a Vette burn up less than 1/4 mile from the fire department. The fire started small and could easily have been put out with a small fire extinguisher.......which the driver did not have.
I take it you didnt have your extinguisher with you to save the day?

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-20-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

WOW- old thread revived!!!

Anyway- a fusible link wouldn't have stopped the original scenario-

A fire extinguisher will slow the damage- and leave a mess...

Something like this will stop it short before a bunch of damage-

A fuse at the battery-cost about $20

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....4/category/192

Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 AM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Now that's a good link Richard! Although I put side post connectors on my cables. But with a large batt cable running practically the length of the car, there is lots of possibility for a short circuit to ground.
I still like the idea of a large solenoid at the battery switched on with the key, with a small 5a fused constant circuit in parallel to run radio and ecm memory. Switch the car off and the batt cable gets disconnected.

OP was really lucky that he had a way to cut the battery cable.

Last edited by slofut; 06-21-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:43 AM
chrisstuff
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slofut
Now that's a good link Richard! Although I put side post connectors on my cables. But with a large batt cable running practically the length of the car, there is lots of possibility for a short circuit to ground.
I still like the idea of a large solenoid at the battery switched on with the key, with a small 5a fused constant circuit in parallel to run radio and ecm memory. Switch the car off and the batt cable gets disconnected.

OP was really lucky that he had a way to cut the battery cable.
I know this is an old thread, but I just had a 66 catch fire at the battery terminal. Something i did use for the rest of the battery cables, to insulate them is the thermoplastic fuel line, like they use on modern vehicles. Just shove the cable thru it. If you need a slight bend, grab a heat gun, heat up slowly and it will bend. Got lucky on the 66 as it caught fire, just had to sacrifice the end of a finger by getting burnt when pulling the quick disconnect from the negative terminal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery cable nearly burned my car up - Help