C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cast Iron Rear for 80 Vette

Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Atlantean
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cast Iron Rear for 80 Vette

Hello Vette lovers!, I have an 80 vette with nearly 600 horses, my problem is the original aluminum rear, although not getting on it lasted less then a month, the gears are alright but the casing cracked and it does not hold oil. I was told by other forums that cast iron would be much stronger. What other years would fit and how complicated is the swap. I don't want to spend much since the whole job has cost over $40K already, I now want to finally drive it. Thanks for all the help....

Last edited by Atlantean; 05-28-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just find a mid '70's C3 and take the whole rear end and cross member with cover and spring. Everything. You might want to swap the gears you have into the iron rear end or have it rebuilt, but it'll certainly be stronger than the aluminum case.

That being said, 600 HP at the wheels will certainly cause other problems. The aluminum case was the weak point. You make that stronger and you'll have to deal with snapped yokes, broken U-joints, twisted half shafts, and obviously the iron rear end may fail as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

The swap is simple, it just bolts to the aluminum batwing. You just need to swap other parts as well. Here is a list of what you need to change.

Rear End and it has to have the tongue on it
63-79 Side Yokes
63-79 Half Shafts
63-79 Strut Rods
63-79 Strut Rod Bracket
63-79 Spindle Flanges

Here are pics of a HD rear we did
http://www.vansteel.com/photos/index...thumbs&e=4&s=1
Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
1981Z06Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Just find a mid '70's C3 and take the whole rear end and cross member with cover and spring. Everything. You might want to swap the gears you have into the iron rear end or have it rebuilt, but it'll certainly be stronger than the aluminum case.

That being said, 600 HP at the wheels will certainly cause other problems. The aluminum case was the weak point. You make that stronger and you'll have to deal with snapped yokes, broken U-joints, twisted half shafts, and obviously the iron rear end may fail as well.
The internals arent the same (the aluminum diffs are Dana 44s), so the gears cant be reused.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
flynnd_33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Van Steel
The swap is simple, it just bolts to the aluminum batwing. You just need to swap other parts as well. Here is a list of what you need to change.

Rear End and it has to have the tongue on it
63-79 Side Yokes
63-79 Half Shafts
63-79 Strut Rods
63-79 Strut Rod Bracket
63-79 Spindle Flanges

Here are pics of a HD rear we did
http://www.vansteel.com/photos/index...thumbs&e=4&s=1

i was wondering the same....i have 480 crank...thats without nitrous....and about how much horsepower will that setup hold...and how much does it cost....
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981Z06Vette
The internals arent the same (the aluminum diffs are Dana 44s), so the gears cant be reused.

Good to know.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flynnd_33
i was wondering the same....i have 480 crank...thats without nitrous....and about how much horsepower will that setup hold...and how much does it cost....
This particular kit here we had in an 80 w/650HP at the rear wheels. You don't have to go to an all out kit like this. We have different variations to accomidate different applications. I'll shoot you over a PM tomorrow. Do you have a cast iron that you want to use or would we suply you with one?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 AM
flynnd_33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Van Steel
This particular kit here we had in an 80 w/650HP at the rear wheels. You don't have to go to an all out kit like this. We have different variations to accomidate different applications. I'll shoot you over a PM tomorrow. Do you have a cast iron that you want to use or would we suply you with one?
no i dont have a cast iron case right now....i pry can get one...it kinda depends on the price differnce too...bone stock dana 44

Get notified of new replies

To Cast Iron Rear for 80 Vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cast Iron Rear for 80 Vette