C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring problems with fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring problems with fan

I have a permacool fan with the temperature control unit (little black box with a stupid a#$ hell little white dial switch) I wired the power up to the yellow wire going into the wiper motor as suggested, now the wipers don't work, and the fan doesn't seem to be turning on either even though I got the engine to 220 (maybe I need to play with the sensor though)
Any advice?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the circuit fuse for the wiper. You might just have a bad fuse.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Thats alot of voltage to be carried by the wiper wire. If you turn the wipers on high with the fans on you will be over loaded!!!! It may cause a fire if the fuse doesn't burn out! My fans are powered by the pos. terminal on the back of the alternator.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
killervette666
Drifting

Originally Posted by hugie82
Thats alot of voltage to be carried by the wiper wire. If you turn the wipers on high with the fans on you will be over loaded!!!! It may cause a fire if the fuse doesn't burn out! My fans are powered by the pos. terminal on the back of the alternator.
The fan wasn't on when i checked whether the wipers were working, but I did hear a click sound and then nothing. I'll rewire it to the alternator
Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM
BB427
Racer

The fan is controled by a relay it is possible for relays to to feed back which could cause the wiper motor prob.This is why they make diodes not pun or flaming intended most people dont use diodes. I have been wiring cars for over a decade and always take power directly from the steering column harness & fuse it according. This is safest bet to protect your car from electric fires & to insure you get a true 12 V's .
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you wire a fan to the wiper motor???
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I'm guessing whoever suggested the wiper motor wire meant it as a trigger for a relay, and the fan was installed using it as a power supply because it was switched. More than likely the fan drew too much power, the fuse blew, and saved the circuit.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Kellys~hotrods
Racer

When I installed a derale fan on one of my vehicles, I initially used power straight from the positive battery terminal. This was run through a relay that was connected to a switched ignition source (radio circuit). The radio circuit would engage the relay closing the circuit for the main poower wire, turning the fan on. It takes very little power to operate the relay so there was little additional load on the radio circuit. I also installed a fuse in line with the main power wire to be safe. This worked well untill I installed a fan controller. You can get controllers for electric fans from summitracing.com.

Kelly
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 PM
BB427
Racer

to be honest I havent looked at my column harnessin my 69 but for as far back as I can remember all GM at the colum have a RED 10 awg cable for 12V and a PINK 10 awg for ignition-aka turn on these are the safest wires to use.........
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
gordie1465
Advanced

I wired mine to the alt and never had a problem yet . I even have an override switch to run on hot days here in Dallas .
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Thanks for all the advice guys, I just remember a bunch of threads about power sources and a ton of people said the wiper motor was a good switched source (on at ignition), I think I may have confused it with sources for choke wiring, I'll look into hooking it up to the alternator as this will be easiest for me to do, climbing under the steering column is way too especially when you're 6'4"
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 AM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The switched source is only used for the relay, not to provide power to the fan itself. The relay will control the fan switching. This is done with a temp sender that makes a connection to ground when it's switched. This then switches the relay. If the relay's switching side is powered by a 12V from a switched source (in your case that would be the wiper motor) the fan will only run w/ the key on. Otherwise, when the engine is hot the fan will keep running until the coolant has sufficiently cooled.

Anyway, there should be an empty ign switched terminal on your fusebox, use that instead of hacking up oem wiring.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by V-Twin
The switched source is only used for the relay, not to provide power to the fan itself. The relay will control the fan switching. This is done with a temp sender that makes a connection to ground when it's switched. This then switches the relay. If the relay's switching side is powered by a 12V from a switched source (in your case that would be the wiper motor) the fan will only run w/ the key on. Otherwise, when the engine is hot the fan will keep running until the coolant has sufficiently cooled.

Anyway, there should be an empty ign switched terminal on your fusebox, use that instead of hacking up oem wiring.

There should also be an empty ACC switched terminal as well, and will work fine too IF the IGN terminal is used.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring problems with fan

Quick Reply: Wiring problems with fan