C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on Ball Stud Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM
OldSchool
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Educate me on Ball Stud Sizes

The dark one on the left is stock, original from a 621 BH. The one on the right is new 1 1/2" replacement, supposedly compatible. The suppliers I checked all have the same one...Does anyone sell the 'short' ball stud? Should I use the new one even tho it is 1/4" or so longer? What's the deal???? Sorry the pic sux, too much coffee this morning...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
lr172
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't provide any input on the short version vs. the long. However, I can tell you that you can easily find adjustble ball studs for $15 at Summit or even Advance Auto.

If your current linkage configuration works well and is without abnormal wear, I would probably re-assemble it with a matching sized stud, using an adjustable unit.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
OldSchool
Pro

Yeah, I saw those adjustable studs... Everything works pretty well now, so I really just want to swap with a like part and not introduce a potential problem.....I guess that's my plan B...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

There used to be 3 different heigth ball studs in the Chevy catalog, now I think there are only 2. The medium stud you have may work OK but, I always use the "short" stud as this is the one I always found in HP Chevies like LT-1 Vettes, Z/28 Camaros. The difference in length has to do with the pressure plate fingers (bellville spring) and ALL! HP Chevies used a "bent spring" diaphragm clutch to prevent the pedal from sticking to the floor on a "overcenter condition" where the clutch spring gets stuck in the released position. You probably heard the wives tale of a clutch pedal sticking tot he floor, it was true on older Chevies and trucks but never in a car with a proper HP clutch set-up. The longer ball stud could possibly cause such a condition in your Vette, the one you have pictured is the "medium" length stud. I run Centerforce clutches and the weights help prevent this condition from happening.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
OldSchool
Pro

That is outstanding information..Now where can I buy a short or medium stud?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Where is Jughead? He knows this one.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Educate me on Ball Stud Sizes

Quick Reply: Educate me on Ball Stud Sizes