C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system

My 72 small block, auto, coupe didn't come with A/C, which isnt a problem here in the Seattle area, but leave the coastline and it gets pretty hot!! Since I'm resto-modding the car for Western USA roadtripping, I wanted some measure of dependability (ZZ4), economy (2004R), and comfort. So, I felt A/C was a MUST!! Decided to go with the Vintage Air system, and bought it from one of their local dealers here in the Tacoma area. Paid about $1100 for it back in Dec...Heres what I brought home..

The directions are in the form of a checklist, viewable on the Vintage Air website if you're interested. You complete a task, check it off, then move to the next step. So far it has been quite straightforward, with clear illustrations and clear instructions.

First step is to remove the existing heater system. The lower dash has to come out, then on the engine bay side, the blower motor, then inside, the heater distribution box and heater core...

Inside...

Outside...

Removal of the side vents and cutting off the mounting brackets, then capping off the vents...obviously you have to do BOTH sides!!!

The original defroster vent needs to be modified for the new system, and sorry I dont have the before pix, but VA provides template to tape onto the original part so you cut it accurately, Its soft plastic and I cut mine with a sharp boxcutter...you then attach a new lower section to adapt to the new heater/defroster distribution box.

Here it is installed..

The nice thing about the install is you can leave one area and proceed with a different task. I was waiting for my Dynamat Xtreme to come in so decided to knock off with the heater box install and go to the engine bay. This basically involves installing the condenser, compressor, and brackets, and associated hoses, etc.

You can see part of the compressor bracket attached to the right front of the engine. I painted the bare metal parts to match the rest of my engine bay..

The condenser mounts to the front of the radiator support. I have been a little disappointed that the attachment hardware in the system is not stainless steel. I am replacing it all with stainless. Its just a handful of screws, nuts and bolts, but I dont want any corrosion in the engine bay. You mount the condenser to its brackets, then bolt the assembly to existing holes in the radiator support, using existing bolts..

Heres the condenser mounted to its special brackets..

Thats all for now. I'm on the road paying for all this, will be back Saturday (14th) and plan to finish the install in the following few days. Stay tuned...

Last edited by MakoShark72; 06-13-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be sure to ask Mark from Vintage Air (tech support) if your "thermistor" has the updated relocation to prevent freeze over of the coils. This is something that must be done while the unit is out of the car as it is impossible to relocate this while unit is installed.

btw...you will like it very much. I enjoy mine here in the hot Miami weather.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
ccs96
Pro

St. Jude Donor 06-'07

I installed one in my 76 which was an AC car. Not a bad job once Vintage rebuilt the condensor lines to fit my 76; and re configured the evaporator lines so they were properly lined up. (I had to ship the evaporator back to them so they could make the lines work). Vintage thought they had a system that would drop right into 75's and 76's, but they were wrong. I was very patience with them and they were very cooperative in fixing things, they even redesigned the outlet on the evaporator so that there would be one less piece of ductwork (there was not enough room behind the gauge cluster). One other thing I didn't care for was that I had to trim part of the passenger lower dash where it hits the evaporator, it still does not fit exactly right, but it works.
All in all I am happy with the Vintage system and they were easy to deal with, I just wish I would not have been the guy to discover than their system was not a "drop in' for 76's.

here's the evap. with my new insulation.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good work - keep us posted on your progress. My son and I installed a similar kit in his '70 Mustang this sping made by Classic Auto Air and it works very well (even in the AZ heat). I plan to add a similar unit into my '69 coupe.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Nice job thus far. I installed a TON of Dynamat over the last 3 months getting ready for a VintageAir a/c purchase. Keep the pictures coming- I could sure use help!

Bob
Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Does the system require you to use the accessory bolt holes on the front of the heads? (In other words, will it work with camel hump heads?)

In you pics, it looks like it doesn't, but it could use them for the compressor bracket with a spacer.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by toddalin
Does the system require you to use the accessory bolt holes on the front of the heads? (In other words, will it work with camel hump heads?)

In you pics, it looks like it doesn't, but it could use them for the compressor bracket with a spacer.
The compressor front bracket bolts to the water pump bolt and the side bracket. The "side" bracket bolts to #1 and #3 header bolts. I'll add some pictures later today...

Rob
Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Spent the last week or so getting the ZZ4 ready to crank for the first time...later today!!!!

Heres a couple of photos of the installed condenser. The condenser mounts to its own brackets, then the brackets mount to the 4 existing bolts at the top of the support (the ones that hold the radiator brackets) and to the 2 bolt holes at the bottom of the support. Remember I have a 72 SBC so yours may be slightly different. The 2 small mounting holes at the bottom didnt exactly line up but close enough to make it work. I used self tapping stainless machine screws for the bottom, since the holes were not threaded...

The top mounting bolts...

The bottom ss self tapping machine screw. Its the one slightly out of focus...

I replaced the small 10x24 junk screws with ss to mount the condenser brackets onto the condenser...

Heres a couple of shots of the brackets for the compressor...mounts to the water pump bolt and the the first and third header or exhaust manifold bolts...The large hose in the photo is just a bypass for the heater so I can start my ZZ4 for the first time!!

Since my car has P/S, I had to add a 3rd pulley to the crankshaft. Vintage Air sells the GM one I added, but the local Chevy dealer had it as well. About $56, but you need 3 grooves on the crank to drive both the A/C compressor and the P/S pump. The inside groove drives the water pump and alternator, the middle groove drives the water pump and compressor, and the outer (added) groove drives the P/S pump. You will need to space out the P/S pump to match your added pulley, or its easier to just find a 2-groove P/S pulley. Problem is, Chevy no longer has them, so used or aftermarket is the answer.

After removing the old heater box and core from inside the cockpit, and removing the blower fan from the engine bay, you are left with a large square hole in the firewall.

The kit includes a template to cut a semi-circle out of the lower left side of the stock hole to accommodate the new heater box/core/blower assembly...I used a Dremel..

Speaking of the heater box...heres a cockpit view..

Firewall side...

The 4 pipes that can be seen, come through the firewall at that semi-circular cutout mentioned above.

NOTE...there is a thermistor probe on the bottom of the unit. It MUST enter the casing toward the FIREWALL side of the case. It is just below the blower motor, as seen in the photo. If it is installed at the factory incorrectly, the coils will ice up, I'm told. Mine happened to be correct. There is a procedure for correcting it, just call Vintage Air.

Now I'll move on to installing the heater box assembly in the cockpit, then the compressor, dryer, and all the lines.

Stay tuned...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Hells Bells 73
Advanced

Default group forum discount ?

we should try to get a group discount from vintage air ?any one interested ?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Its been a month since I posted a thread, and I've finished the hardware install and only have to hook up the controller, which will have to wait until the interior is reinstalled.

After installing the condenser, time to hang the compressor, heater/defroster box, and run the hard lines. First cleaned the interior of glue and installed Dynamat Xtreme...

Theres a cover for the original rectangular hole, and I covered the interior of that with Dynamat as well. This is viewed from the engine bay, with the circular cover for the lines...I painted it to match the engine bay in Krylon Semi Flat.

Heres a view of the compressor bracket installed on the engine...

And the compressor installed...

Had to cut 4 holes in the inner fender to facilitate the running of the hard lines..Started with a hole saw than cut out the middle to make a large oval hole for the forward opening...

Then again for the rear opening..

Lined the holes with a "caterpillar" gasket, before running the lines...

Mounted the bracket and drier on the radiator support..

Hard lines are then connected and run thru the 2 oval holes I just cut...

VA provides a plastic cover to hide and protect the lines. I had to modify it to fit over the fender support, but it worked fine...

View from the engine bay...

Time to install the cockpit heater/defroster box. Very straightforward, and had to drill ONE hole for a sheet metal screw...

From the engine bay...

Silicone on the firewall cover and install...

Now to run the heater hoses and compressor lines...Yea I know the hose clamps aren't installed yet!!

Thats about it for now. I have more pictures if anybody wants to PM me with specific questions. I'll post again when I modify and install the controller, and charge up the system and do an op test.

There were a few issues to work through. Its easy to install the condenser upside down (as I did)..the fittings are different sizes. Had to flip mine. The plastic parts seem a little cheap, but guess they will work fine. There is a small piece of plastic sheeting to cover the stepper motors on top of the heater box. It was missing in the kit, but I cut up a garbage bag and made my own. The screws and nuts were all grade 5 or less, and I thought they should be stainless. I replaced all with stainless at my own expense..All-in-all, I'm pleased so far.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

That's a nice piece. Great condensor and compressor design. It cleans up the bay nice too.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
tmacb
Racer

Nice work. I plan on doing a similar project on my 71 that was originally an a/c vert, but a lot of the peices are gone.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I installed Hot Rod Air....

I only mention it in case someone else wants to make comparisons to install a/c.
I have a couple of pics posted under my corvette pics; the difference between the units appear to be in size only....and a little bit different condensor mounting.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Wow- GREAT JOB! Thanks so much for putting up so many detailed pictures. I plan to do this job next spring with that VintageAir setup!

Keep them coming.

Bob
Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Green76
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Turner
Wow- GREAT JOB! Thanks so much for putting up so many detailed pictures. I plan to do this job next spring with that VintageAir setup!

Keep them coming.

Bob

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, all the pictures you have posted are a great help and gives me an idea of what I'm inn for.....

Thanks
Ulf
Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Excellent photos. I am also currently working on a Vintage air unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system

Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Gives us hope for a realistic alternative over the old system! great job!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:47 AM
cajos
Burning Brakes

Good stuff, I'm considering a VA system. Where is a group discount, when you need one!!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:22 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by cajos
Good stuff, I'm considering a VA system. Where is a group discount, when you need one!!
I bought VA from a dealer through Ebay one month ago and send it to a transport company to ship it overseas.
It's cost me $1190 with free shipping in US, I think its good price because VA want $1299 + shipping.
Avner

Quick Reply: Follow along as I install my Vintage Air system