C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley/Demon gasket problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Holley/Demon gasket problems

Car has been running pretty poorly just cruising and idle. WOT seemed to be OK but it was just dumping fuel. Pulled the primary fuel bowl and this is exactly how I found it. Think this could be a problem? Now what caused this and is there a better gasket. Not over torqued becasue I just snug them up, barely enogh to keep it from leaking. These are only a year old and maybe 500 miles.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
vett us all
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gaskets Made Of Cork Seals Better. A Hassle To Clean Off After Being Used For Awhile Though. The Reusable Gaskets Are Not Reliable For Proper Sealing In The Long Run, In My Opinion Use Old Reliable Every Time. Peace Out Lynn
Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Are those the brand name reusable gaskets or did they come from Guandong ?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Are those the brand name reusable gaskets or did they come from Guandong ?
I really can't remember but I think they are Holley gaskets. I have always bought Holley gaskets and I pulled them out of the package and just have a bunch of them. I do have the red ones, maybe I'll give them a try. If not I'll try the cork ones and see how long they last.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I really can't remember but I think they are Holley gaskets. I have always bought Holley gaskets and I pulled them out of the package and just have a bunch of them. I do have the red ones, maybe I'll give them a try. If not I'll try the cork ones and see how long they last.

Just because Demons come with Allen bowl screws doesn't mean that you TQ them to 85 foot pounds!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by gkull
Just because Demons come with Allen bowl screws doesn't mean that you TQ them to 85 foot pounds!
No torque wrench just a 2 foot pipe on the Allen wrench.

I also found the main problem. The gasket for the plate was bad also. Right at the very top by the vent baffle it had sagged somehow and was not allowing any vacuum and I was always running with the PV open. New gaskets and I just fired it up in the garage and all is well again.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
wgbsigns
Racer

holly gaskets are blue. demond gaskets are red. you have wrong ones and they are not the same, although they are close
Old 06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by wgbsigns
holly gaskets are blue. demond gaskets are red. you have wrong ones and they are not the same, although they are close
What is different. I have a set of red ones and the holes are identical. I have another guy using the Moroso gasket with no problems on his Demon. They are black.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I use a blue set of reuseables on my Demon.

Gordon your real problem is having to big a carb for a little 385. That 825 mighty demon is probably flowing more like 900 CFM

I'd be willing to trade you for my smaller 750 which has been dyno tuned and flows 820 cfm for just a little of your cash!

In reality. I think that my 750 is plenty big enough for my 434. I have pretty good throttle responce
Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by gkull
I use a blue set of reuseables on my Demon.

Gordon your real problem is having to big a carb for a little 385. That 825 mighty demon is probably flowing more like 900 CFM

I'd be willing to trade you for my smaller 750 which has been dyno tuned and flows 820 cfm for just a little of your cash!

In reality. I think that my 750 is plenty big enough for my 434. I have pretty good throttle responce
It actually works pretty well once it is all sealed up.

It might be up for sale later this year. I'm thinking about going over to the other side. Fuel injection! That is why I was asking about the cam. I might tame down some of the duration and go with FI.

Quite picking on my little 385 I kick myself for not buying my brother in laws 421.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

BG tech told me 825 flowed 982 cfm when dry flowed like a Holley. Ron B.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM
wgbsigns
Racer

Originally Posted by Gordonm
What is different. I have a set of red ones and the holes are identical. I have another guy using the Moroso gasket with no problems on his Demon. They are black.
mine are not the same. blue ones have to stretch to fit pins on my carb. alighnment holes are off. also blue ones have extra material that sticks up in bowl. you can see in your pic how stretched and out of shape the gasket is. anyway ask barry grant wrong gasket.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley/Demon gasket problems

Quick Reply: Holley/Demon gasket problems