C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Pump noise caused by the Compressor ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Air Pump noise caused by the Compressor ???

Here's a strange one.

After recharging my A/C with R12, it was working great (43.5 degrees at the vent), but seemed to be causing a cackling noise and low resonance vibration just off idle -- right around 900-1100 RPM. I'd heard compressors on their way out on a couple of different cars, but had never heard that kind of sound only at a specific RPM. With the A/C off, the sound disappeared, so I was sure it was related to the compressor.

I put an oil and conditioner charge in the compressor but no change. Then I noticed that the sound didn't seem to be coming exactly from the compressor. I got a gift wrap paper roll and started listening to the compressor and things around it. Sure enough, the sound was coming from the AIR PUMP.

So...... when I have the A/C on, and rev the engine to 900-1100 RPM, the air pump emits a cackling sound, with a strong enough low resonance that from inside the car, it sounds like moaning from the engine back thru the exhaust. All I can figure is that the compressor emits a vibration at 900-1100 RPM that causes something in the air pump to resonate loudly. Very weird.

Anyone ever heard of something like this? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance -- Dave
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave83
Here's a strange one.

After recharging my A/C with R12, it was working great (43.5 degrees at the vent), but seemed to be causing a cackling noise and low resonance vibration just off idle -- right around 900-1100 RPM. I'd heard compressors on their way out on a couple of different cars, but had never heard that kind of sound only at a specific RPM. With the A/C off, the sound disappeared, so I was sure it was related to the compressor.

I put an oil and conditioner charge in the compressor but no change. Then I noticed that the sound didn't seem to be coming exactly from the compressor. I got a gift wrap paper roll and started listening to the compressor and things around it. Sure enough, the sound was coming from the AIR PUMP.

So...... when I have the A/C on, and rev the engine to 900-1100 RPM, the air pump emits a cackling sound, with a strong enough low resonance that from inside the car, it sounds like moaning from the engine back thru the exhaust. All I can figure is that the compressor emits a vibration at 900-1100 RPM that causes something in the air pump to resonate loudly. Very weird.

Anyone ever heard of something like this? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance -- Dave
The belt to the compressor will vibrate at that time, and slap around.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
zdave83
Instructor

Originally Posted by wombvette
The belt to the compressor will vibrate at that time, and slap around.
The belt driving the compressor doesn't appear to be smacking against anything. Also, when I put the gift wraper roll against the air pump housing, the sound seem to be coming from in there.

Thx - Dave
Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The belt can still vibrate. My entire car vibrates with the a/c on at low rpm's.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Does tightening help? Anything else?

Get notified of new replies

To Air Pump noise caused by the Compressor ???

Quick Reply: Air Pump noise caused by the Compressor ???