C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy:

Old 01-11-2002, 08:37 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: (Chuck Harmon)

Now were are getting somewhere, although Banshee should be going to his room for the troll like remarks in his last post!:smash:
I said I was kidding, geez.

The ZL1/L88 Vettes were street legal, but built with the expectation that open exhaust and real tires would be fitted upon delivery. But will those with an originality fetish consider the performance of the car with these expected and often dealer installed items? Perish the thought!! The only published road test of a ZL1 drag spec car was one which GM produced, assembled, lightened and fitted with an automatic for a magazine writers test day. This test absolutely must NOT be considered.
That's one reason why I picked the L71 and 440-6 in the above post.

On the other hand, Chrysler builds a car with such goodies fitted but leaves out DOT required items so that they can't be legally driven on the street. In the late 60's, the practical difference between these two corporate approaches would have been considered petty. But today the debate rages on and on and on.... Can you believe back then Chevy actually took one of their own L88 cars and fitted it with a ZL1 motor to do the test? How could these guys sleep at night?
It was common practice, and probably still is to some extent. Figure it this way... If you had the opportunity to take a ZL1 to the track wouldn't you want to push the envelope? I wouldn't be able to resist.

More time and lip flapping is wasted on where to draw this line.

I think that the Camaro makes for the better drag car. The more complex and expensive IRS setup on the Vette is better suited for road racing than what is needed for only dragging. Yet the Camaro has given a very good showing of Chevy's ability and also has times in the 9's for pro stock.
I agree! I'd run a ZL1 Camaro on the drag strip long before a Vette.

L8r,
DJ
Old 01-11-2002, 09:18 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: (63Banshee)

Moparmal, they produced 216 L88 Corvettes from 1967 to 1969 and were not installed in Camaros and Novas from the factory. HP wise the first design L88s were capable of up to 560hp and the mid 1969 second design L88s with their open chamber heads and a number of other improvements were capable of nearly 600hp! The second design L88s and ZL1s were identical other than the aluminum block of course and were capable of 585hp. Supposedly the later L88s were slightly more powerful than the ZL1s. I am not exacltly sure why but I think it has to do with the iron sleeves in the aluminum block that costs a few HP. P.S. Banshee and Chuck for all out drag racing I would definetly rather ran a ZL1 Camaro than an L88 also.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:39 AM
moparmal
Heel & Toe

Default Re: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: (SBR)

550 to 600hp is what the SS darts and cuda's were estimated to be producing in the 'right" hands.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:45 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: (moparmal)

550 to 600hp is what the SS darts and cuda's were estimated to be producing in the 'right" hands.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

I'd have to say that the only thing keeping Max from producing 630+ HP was the cam profile. Quite easily more with modern headers, like CPPA.

My .060" over 440 may have 26 c.i. over Max, MSD ignition, and a better cam profile, but it also has less cfm feeding it and less compression. My ported 452 heads (open chamber) flowed about 3 cfm over stock Max Wedge heads on the same bench on the same day (except for #8 intake runner due to a large amount of brazing needed after grinding through the wall [core shift]). I'd still opt for Max Wedge heads over my 452's, they had no more room for porting. The compression was 11:1 as opposed to 13.5:1. If I remember right my 440 cam has .570" lift / 245 @ .050 degrees bought from Hughes.

Calculated NET HP for my 440 was 650, so it produces somewhere around 700 gross. I have no doubt that Max from the factory would be it’s equal if you installed the same cam, headers, and ignition. I don't think these components are worth more then 100 HP on a Max Wedge motor. Once over 550HP it is exponentially more difficult and expensive to build HP.

Now I’ve thoroughly confused everyone...

BTW, I've begun posting goodies in "other cars." First post references a 670 HP small block build up.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=217313

Coming soon is the Pontiac 427 aluminum fuel injected HEMI from the 60's... as soon as I fix my scanner issues.

[Modified by 63Banshee, 10:35 AM 1/12/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 10:17 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: (63Banshee)

Banshee,

My humor is more than a bit off the wall. Most of the post was tongue and cheek. Except of course the part of your going to your room :D

I was poking fun at what I believe is utter foolishness regarding what is and isn't considered stock. Yes the ZL1 test should count, nor would I have lost one wink of sleep over Chevy's changing out engines for the test. The performance whether it was assembled originally that way or was changed wouldn't have mattered one twit! The factories occasionally resold some of these cars as new after thrashing the components, not a good thing. But if they had disclosed this fact, even with a switched engine, put a standard warranty on it, and dropped the price accordingly... WHO SHOULD BLOODY CARE YEARS LATER THAT IT WAS CONVERTED BY THE MANUFACTURER!

A race between the factory Race Hemis and the ZL1 Camaro, or 69 L88/ZL1 Vettes would have been very appropriate and interesting as long as each side got to use the same type of exhaust and tires.

Don’t whine about Mopar’s cam specs, any L88/ZL1 will make a lot more power with a better cam too!

Off the subject, but the question was raised on another post. It speculated on whether the mothers of you Mopar guy’s were married at the time of your birth. Inquiring minds want to know! :jester

Chuck

p.s. Now I think it's my turn to go to my room! :cheers:

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 9:16 AM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 10:51 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: (Chuck Harmon)

Banshee,

My humor is more than a bit off the wall. Most of the post was tongue and cheek. Except of course the part of your going to your room :D

I was poking fun at what I believe is utter foolishness regarding what is and isn't considered stock. Yes the ZL1 test should count, nor would I have lost one wink of sleep over Chevy's changing out engines for the test. The performance whether it was assembled originally that way or was changed wouldn't have mattered one twit! The factories occasionally resold some of these cars as new after thrashing the components, not a good thing. But if they had disclosed this fact, even with a switched engine, put a standard warranty on it, and dropped the price accordingly... WHO SHOULD BLOODY CARE YEARS LATER THAT IT WAS CONVERTED BY THE MANUFACTURER!

A race between the factory Race Hemis and the ZL1 Camaro, or 69 L88/ZL1 Vettes would have been very appropriate and interesting as long as each side got to use the same type of exhaust and tires.

Don’t whine about Mopar’s cam specs, any L88/ZL1 will make a lot more power with a better cam too!

Off the subject, but the question was raised on another post. It speculated on whether the mothers of you Mopar guy’s were married at the time of your birth. Inquiring minds want to know! :jester

Chuck
:confused: Who’s whining? I was voicing my opinion regarding a Max Wedge Motors potential from the factory and with modifications. If it was unclear... I was stating that a Max Wedge motor has a 600 HP potential from the factory and 630+ HP potential with a cam change. Besides, I wasn’t even addressing you or answering to one of your posts, geez!

As far as your last comment is concerned... we just confirmed who has more class around here. What thread was this brought up in?

I find it hard to believe that the experience of a restorer/engine builder can go unrecognized around here. As I’ve stated, I was a GM fanatic (Chevy & Pontiac) when I started restoring cars 15 years ago and it took more then a few engine builds of both manufactures and years at the track to show me the light. I’m not here to change your mind, but it disappoints me that so many of you are unwilling to learn from someone else’s experience. It isn’t easy to tell by these posts who knows what they are talking about and who doesn’t, but I back my comments with real world examples and engine combinations... cause I’ve been there and done it!

Right now my position is, based on experience with both, that Mopar motors are superior in many areas, especially when it comes to HP / $. What you guys are shelling out is stuff I’ve seen, read, done, or heard before.

Unbelievable... mystique caries a lot of weight around here.

L8r,
DJ

For those of you that are interested in another “other cars” post, I’ll be laying out the specs for a 1000 HP street motor. 800 normally aspirated + 200 juice... did I mention it runs on pump gas?

[Modified by 63Banshee, 9:49 PM 1/13/2002]
Old 07-23-2015, 12:51 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 440 vs Big Block Chevy

440. Strong, Fast, Durable, and the easiest passenger vehicle engine in the world to work on or modify.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:21 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ykf7b0
440. Strong, Fast, Durable, and the easiest passenger vehicle engine in the world to work on or modify.
Did you by chance happen to notice the date on the post before yours?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Did you by chance happen to notice the date on the post before yours?
Sure did. It was too good to pass up.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:09 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too young to participate (only 56)...but a friend who was very active 'in-the-day' said that the '70 Chevelle LS6 was king...
Old 07-23-2015, 05:58 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
The trick I have found with any brand of big block is shift them around 4500 rpm maximum and run gears no lower than 3.73's.
That's fine if you're delivering pizzas.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
While we're at it we may as well have a couple beers with that pizza

For Too Broke's sake, hopefully this old thread will be shut down before too many folks see his post.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
While we're at it we may as well have a couple beers with that pizza

For Too Broke's sake, hopefully this old thread will be shut down before too many folks see his post.
Too late.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Shift at only 4500!?!

I'm usually disappointed if my RPMs drop any lower than that.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 07-24-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

I hear you! My 440 see's the lower side of 6000 alot.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Originally Posted by havesometo
LOL!!!
I didn't mean less than 6000, I meant 6100, 6200, and even 6300.

Get notified of new replies

To 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy:

Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ykf7b0
LOL!!!
I didn't mean less than 6000, I meant 6100, 6200, and even 6300.
I wasn't laughing at you I was laughing at what BKbroiler said.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:22 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Too late.

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Shift at only 4500!?!

I'm usually disappointed if my RPMs drop any lower than that.

Originally Posted by havesometo
I wasn't laughing at you I was laughing at what BKbroiler said.
Same thing the rest of us are doing.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I 4th this? 5th? 6th? Whatever. Good stuff.

L-88s were street cars and probably shouldn't have run double pumpers. BTW, we need to know what transmission and year of L-88 before we can continue this post.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 07-25-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: