C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure blowing oil filter seal. Yep no joke. I am BadLuckRat!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Oil pressure blowing oil filter seal. Yep no joke. I am BadLuckRat!

Well on to another problem that I just cannot explain! I had a Transdapt sandwich adapter on so I could run an oil temp guage. I could not get it to stop leaking no matter what I tried. Finally I said forget it and removed the adapter and screwed the PH30 filter back on. I cranked it up and blew oil past the seal. When I say blew I mean blew!!!

I figured Ok I unscrewed and reinstalled the filter several times while trying to fix the adapter leak so I must have damaged the seal. No big deal other than a huge mess to clean up. I went and bought a brand new PH30 filter and some oil. I did all the typical practices of cleaning the surface and yes making sure the old seal was not stuck on the motor. I tightened the filter hand tight which is what I have always done. I had the wife crank the car up and within 15 seconds of watching I saw and heard a big pop from the back top side of the filter and here came the oil gushing out.

Pressure has always been 75lbs at idle and drops down to around 50 when warm. I am running a GM ZL1 pump and a moroso pick up.

I am at a lose for what to do or what happened. I swear I couldn't make up the bad luck I am having. I am not an incompotent man or at least I don't think I am....

I am scared to say what else could happen.......

Any ideas?

Wade

Last edited by ImBatman; 07-20-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont know specific #'s , but your oil pressure sounds awfully high, any idea what its supposed to be, sorry I dont know. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

i have been following your post for a while, man you are snake bit.
i would look at the threads on the spin on adapter on the block, sounds like they may be damaged, not allow'n the filter to seat all the way,
then i would try a wix or kn. good luck. you do need a break.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedreed8
i have been following your post for a while, man you are snake bit.
i would look at the threads on the spin on adapter on the block, sounds like they may be damaged, not allow'n the filter to seat all the way,
then i would try a wix or kn. good luck. you do need a break.
Thanks. I removed the adapter. The only thing that is there is the stock spin on nipple. Not sure what it is called. Are you referring to that? Thanks
Wade
Old 07-20-2008, 08:32 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rule of thumb is 10 lbs pressure for every 1,000 rpm then levels out at approx 40 - 50.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

So it is possible that I may be over powering a stock style filter?????

K&N's HP-2002 filter says , "provides over 550 psi hydrostatic burst strength. " I have mo idea what that means or if it even has anything to do with it.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the gauge showing for actual oil pressure when the oil filter seal blows? Sorry to hear about the bad luck.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
What is the gauge showing for actual oil pressure when the oil filter seal blows? Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

The first time at start up after I removed the adapter I had 75 psi which is where it has always been. The second time after installing the new oil filter I don't know because I was under the car watching when the seal blew.

I am more embarrased now for the bad luck than anything. I keep telling myself that maybe my posts will help someone else other wise I would be too embarrased to post anything.

Wade
Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRat
I am more embarrased now for the bad luck than anything. I keep telling myself that maybe my posts will help someone else other wise I would be too embarrased to post anything.

Wade

How did everything go when you primed the engine before starting? Did you get dribbles at all rockers or lots of flow?

What kind of oil pump do you have?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Doesnt make sense...to blow the filter seal it would seem as if the return to the motor is blocked or severely restricted.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

As Elmer Fud would say...Somtins sqwueee here. Most likely what ever the problem, is the reason you couldn't get the adapter to seal....
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
How did everything go when you primed the engine before starting? Did you get dribbles at all rockers or lots of flow?

What kind of oil pump do you have?

I got good flow when I primed but the motor has been running for about a month now while I was trying to diagnose the vibration issue and I did not have a problem. The leak where the adapter mated against the block just started happening right before I removed the bellhousing and found the flywheel issue. I tried to fix the leak several times but gave up and pulled the adapter off and just used the old stock nipple. Now all of a sudden it is blowing oil filter seals. The pump is a GN ZL1 model.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Can this go bad??? Cause a problem like I am describing?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this go bad??? Cause a problem like I am describing?

Nope. I have only heard of this twice in all my years, and you won't like it. Both times, it was the pressure relief valve stuck in the oil pump. It backs up and pops the filter. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Does your oil filter mount have an internal bypass? Stock mounts have a bypass that allows oil to bypass the filter when pressure gets too high to prevent blowouts.

Stock style (see the bypass above the spin-on mount):

Non-stock (no bypass):

If you don't have a bypass, you need extra strong racing filters and can't bring the engine above idle till the oil warms up.

My small block hits 80 psi easily when cold and I have never blown a filter out (I use either the K&N or Mobil 1 filters).

OK, just saw that you have a stock type mount. They are cheap to replace so you can try that first.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by FB007
Nope. I have only heard of this twice in all my years, and you won't like it. Both times, it was the pressure relief valve stuck in the oil pump. It backs up and pops the filter. Sorry.
That has to be it...they are generally set at 40-60 lbs. If it becomes stuck they can make 120+ PSI
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SteveG75

OK, just saw that you have a stock type mount. They are cheap to replace so you can try that first.
So this can go bad or am I looking at worst case scenario definately? Again the guage never went past 75 psi. It is an after market Autometer not stock and has always been pretty accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure blowing oil filter seal. Yep no joke. I am BadLuckRat!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM
FB007
Burning Brakes

So this can go bad or am I looking at worst case scenario definately? Again the guage never went past 75 psi. It is an after market Autometer not stock and has always been pretty accurate.
That piece bypasses the FILTER when clogged. It's the pump pressure relief. Pull the pan, and get a new one. Pumps are cheap. You just got a lemon. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 PM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yellow 72
That has to be it...they are generally set at 40-60 lbs. If it becomes stuck they can make 120+ PSI
Smart man.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

That piece bypasses the FILTER when clogged. It's the pump pressure relief. Pull the pan, and get a new one. Pumps are cheap. You just got a lemon. Sorry.
Grrrreeeeaaaat Will the pan come off a BB with the motor in the car? If a GM pump was junk what should I get?????

Quick Reply: Oil pressure blowing oil filter seal. Yep no joke. I am BadLuckRat!