C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Running Hot ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Marys71Coupe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Running Hot ...

I have a '71 Coupe and have installed a Bowtie Overdrives 200-4R automatice transmission. Part of the package is a trans fluid temp guage and they recommend the temp should run at 150 or below. During the install I also added a B&M Super Cooler transmission fluid cooler. The install instruction for the cooler say to run fluid from transmission to radiator to new cooler and back to transmission.

Well everything worked fine until the clutch on my fan went bad. I ordered a new fan clutch and the holes didn't match. I figured they sent the wrong one and reordered. The holes didn't match again. Guess that means I don't really have a 71 fan. At this time I decided to switch to a chrome flex fan. Now all is good with engine temp but the transmission fluid temp is running at 180.

After reading a previous post I change routing of trans fluid from transmission to new cooler, to radiatior and back to transmission. No change.

So I think my problem is not enough air from fan or not enough flow through tran fulid lines in radiator. Can I run trans fluid through new cooler only?

Any thoughts.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM
knodty
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
I've got the same set up from bto as well and fitted the middle of the three coolers they recomended ans have had no probs with temps no higher than 160c with a 2400 stall t/c installed.
What's your stall speed and size of cooler?
Peter

P.s. did you check you had a good flow through your old trans cooler on the rad?

Last edited by knodty; 07-21-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by knodty
Hi,
I've got the same set up from bto as well and fitted the middle of the three coolers they recomended ans have had no probs with temps no higher than 160c with a 2400 stall t/c installed.
What's your stall speed and size of cooler?
Peter

P.s. did you check you had a good flow through your old trans cooler on the rad?
i run the same setup, i go thru the rad 1st n then to the cooler n run at 150 via the hiway n up to 180 in city traffic which is fine. i also have an electric fan that helps keep the temps low.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am not a big fan of running the tranny cooler thru the radiator at all. I would just run from the tranny to the cooler and gack. Also those flex fans suck, they don't move enough air and they have a nasty habit of sending an errant fan blade thru some nearby fiberglass.
Your heta problem may also be because the TCC is not locking up and slipping all the time thus generating more heat. Check out the lockup issue first, then rerout the cooling lines and get a better fan setup in there.
I am a big fan of electrics, didn't used to trust them but the technology has come a LONG way in the last 20 yrs.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 2004R BTO I'm running from the trans to the rad and then thru the aux cooler on my 79. Normal op temps during the summer with A/C is 140*-150*. I'm with Six Shooter in that the TCC is not locking up. What I did on mine was to install a small LED on the console such that it lights up if 12v is running from the tranny relay to the TCC wiring. That way I know that I've got juice to the trans.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Your heta problem may also be because the TCC is not locking up and slipping all the time thus generating more heat. Check out the lockup issue first, then rerout the cooling lines and get a better fan setup in there.

If the lockup isn't working on a converter designed with one the temps will skyrocket. Sometimes it can be hard to tell for sure. You could disconnect the wire for it and see if the cruising RPMs change any.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:34 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

In reality 180 isnt hot*. It may not be optimal for performance but I can tell you my C5 regulary ran above that in stop and go traffic.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
In reality 180 isnt hot*. It may not be optimal for performance but I can tell you my C5 regulary ran above that in stop and go traffic.
I tend to agree with above, in that it IS Florida and summertime, but with the obvious cautions in other posts....lockup and good fans, etc....180 is a problem for a 700/4l60e in that they have a 3/4 clutch heat/oiling problem....but I never heard the 200 has that issue anywhere....

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Fluid Running Hot ...

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Running Hot ...