C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Fuel Tank Lines, w/o dropping tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Change Fuel Tank Lines, w/o dropping tank?

Is it possible to change the fuel lines w/o dropping the Tank on a '73?. I looked at the bottom of the tank, and the main feed line hooks square to the center, and it appears the sender is here too. Anyone ever try this on a '73 or close or have any tips?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM
jlelec
Pro

Default Changing Lines

I changed the ones on my 77 a couple of weeks ago. I assume the 77 is similar. My return line was leaking and causing all kind of problems. I replaced both lines by dropping the tank about 4 inches and working through the fill door. I had to remove the spare tire assembly and the cross member that holds the tank up. I also took the RH muffler loose and let it drop down as far as it would. Wasn't as bad a job as I had first thought. Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 AM
wjsullivan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the lines on a '73 connect to the bottom of the tank? If so, yes it might be possible, your challenge will be the connection to the steel line running on the frame rail simply due to the tight confines there.

On a later car, 74 to 77 or later, the lines are on the top of the tank and you have to drop the tank to get to them. If your hand is small enough and you have good enough coordination to put the line on, etc. blind you could do as jlelec did and go the the fill hole.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are a couple of shots of the lines local to the tank. They may help you see the routing.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

EASTLTD,
Your very clear pictures raise a question for me.
Had the tank ever been 'down' before you dissassembled your car? If not, were there two VERY small tower style clamps on the rubber part of the fuel return line from the fuel pump at the pump and at the tank? If so, did you save them?
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
EASTLTD,
Your very clear pictures raise a question for me.
Had the tank ever been 'down' before you dissassembled your car? If not, were there two VERY small tower style clamps on the rubber part of the fuel return line from the fuel pump at the pump and at the tank? If so, did you save them?
Regards,
Alan
Alan,

The tank was never out of my car prior to my dissassembly (I have the tank sticker). Unfortunately the lines had been changed sometime in the cars life and were not exactly routed correctly. The old hardware was so badly rusted it all got trashed. If you have a picture or diagram of the stand clamps, I'd like to see them. It sounds like I'm missing some parts.

Thanks
Ian
Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eastltd
Here are a couple of shots of the lines local to the tank. They may help you see the routing.

Hey, thanks for the shots, they are the same as my '73. I took a crawl under there with a flashlight, and I can get my arm and hand around the return line on top, by going over the frame, Car on jackstands, and can easily feel the clip type clamps. Can also feel the vent line and see it too,. this is gonna be a bit time consuming (1-2 hours) to do it right and neatly, but this will be pretty easy!

for anyone else now considering doing this- when you pull the line main feed line, the tank will drain, so run it dry first, which might gunk up you filter, but you get the idea. also, take a sheet rock knife with a new blade and cut the old rubber line along the steel line it's over, after you move the clamp off, all the way through. This will make it easy to remove the old line and not put stress on the old tubes that are part of the tank. C.

Last edited by RunningMan373; 07-23-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
??????
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the very long way.

But the lines are very easy to get to.

Get notified of new replies

To Change Fuel Tank Lines, w/o dropping tank?

Quick Reply: Change Fuel Tank Lines, w/o dropping tank?